Search results

1. SuperDaveOz

Advent Speakers...been awhile

old threat I know, but did you find replacement grill cloth. I have just purchased for about 20 dollars total, a set of working (overnight testing destroyed the surrounds on the larger driver, but have since replaced for 23 delivered and 1 hour work) Advent Legacy II, and also a perfectly...
  2. SuperDaveOz

Old Advent speakers - which are your favorites and why?

Got Advent 1s, Prodigy which I refoamed large drivers, and now a pair of Legacy II which upon consumption/purchase at 25 for the pair (they looked in near perfect shape) I drove them overnight and the surrounds (no surprise here after 30+ years) literally turned to dust. I did listen for 1/2...
  3. SuperDaveOz

Advent 1's, yes or no?

11 years later... Just picked up non-sequential serialized color matching set of Advent 1/2, for $20 for a charity thrifty. B+ cabinet condition, grills are solid. No sounds of blown anything, yet will likely try the 13uF cap swap on these. The lows are a bit boomy and actually 'light or...
  4. SuperDaveOz

REQ: for Bose 601 series ii tweeter advice (and tweeters)

Weirdly these 301s set up they way they are sound fairly good, not great. I'm all about understanding why, and without explaining either my head/ears/brain are not wired right, I'd love to know why they are no where near sounding their best. I just played with them for a while, and came up...
  5. SuperDaveOz

Suggested configuration? Putting the speakers into this "L" configuration in parallel has made a HUGE and interestingly difference. I have some closed eye soundstage when I'm back 10-12 feet from the wall they are against. I'm open to your suggestions, or documentation on what is supposed to...
  6. SuperDaveOz

Update: The seller of the tweeter carcasses is named Bob, in the middle of nowhere OH. Think 1000s of acres of farmland in every direction near Mid-Ohio area. Dude was super nice, on time and no BS. Cash talks, the rest walks. Lives in a very nice house next to a restored school-house he...
  7. SuperDaveOz

Update: have a line on 8x Bose 301/II tweeters. Sadly not for FREE, but 125 for the lot. Damn it all :) the tweets are not hard to find, but costly. Not sold on the idea that Pearless replacements are a good fit for finding out what the original intent was... Might be from a dime saving...
  8. SuperDaveOz

Bose 601 series 2 rebuild questions

In another thread, I see you sold your 601 ii. How long ago? Did you ever have to replace/recone the tweeters? Old thread, so sorry for resurrecting the dead.
  9. SuperDaveOz

What I have done is repair the woofers and it was relatively cheap, 40 USD with some time in days and 4-5 hours of labor to do it clean and right. The tweeters are 8x on this configuration, so cost is of course a concern with each being typically (but not available now) 20-30 USD. 6 of the...
  10. SuperDaveOz

Per installation/manual. 2" from wall, 12 feet apart, 8+ foot ceiling, and 1800 square feet of space of which the depth is about 30 feet. Nearly a 2x to 1x space with a center room stairs to the main floor. Bose on the phone was kind from the start, explained to them I was a collector and...
  11. SuperDaveOz

What Bose calls a tweeter in the 601 II Test Procedures is said to be tested from 1.5 kHz up to 15 kHz. The product you mentioned has a Freq Response starting in the 3.5 kHz. Bose Part #130714-5 is the 3" tweeter on the 601 Series III, which may be the same tweeter with different mounting...
  12. SuperDaveOz

Friend of mine gifted to me a 'non working' pair of 601 ii, rotted tweeters and woofer surrounds. Cleaned the big drivers up, refoamed, tone centered and they are playing great. Tweeters are another story. All have some sort and extent damage. Some complete paper loss and some partial...
  13. SuperDaveOz

Aleene's Tacky Glue still the go-to for refoam?

Have used the Simply Speakers stuff, and it works, relatively 'fast' time to set and stick. Repeated careful pressing/finger pushes helped. Did the shim job then on some speakers, worked out OK, but would not say shims are required. Aleene's when spread and let to set for a few mins will help...
  14. SuperDaveOz

Thrift store finds

I have the same issues with almost everyone out there in SA, GW, etc 'corporate' un-em-PLOW-turd land. The logic is out the window. Years and years its been 'no' on payment of 'something' for an item that will end up in the landfill. I simply gave up trying until recently when I started...
  15. SuperDaveOz

Bose 601 tweeters not working

I'm refoaming (tested with DC 9 volt to see movement briefly) 4x woofers on a set of 601/ii that I'm working. The tweeters all need to be replaced, the paper on them is rotted in most cases, and in some completely missing around the outer edges. My guestions are: - what was the outcome of...
  16. SuperDaveOz

bose 601 series 2

Re-surrounding the 4 woofers. Doing it as an exercise instead of practicality, because 4 of the 8 tweeters are hosed also. Anyone got a line on the tweeters, and cheap? I can't justify the cost at this point, as boxes are not in great condition, and neither are the grills. Help is needed...
  17. SuperDaveOz

ADVENT Prodigy tower speakers... worth anything?

Know this thread is dead, or long rested, but tossing in my two cents. Bought a set with rotted surrounds, and coils toasted. Paid 5 bucks each, so 10 for the pair, and purchased delivered two sets of coils and cones, and surrounds to ensure if I borked my first recone job I'd have the ability...
  18. SuperDaveOz

ADS L2030 Restoration

I have 2x sets of 1590/2s serviced by RS in AZ, all mids, and tweets, and all crossovers. Tinkering with the idea to cash and trade for a fine set of 2030. Keep that in mind if you get interested in letting your 2030s go again and mean it :). These 15902 are well matched and exercised, and...
  19. SuperDaveOz

ADS L2030 Restoration

Well, its been nearly a month. Did you sell out your ADS soul and dump the 910s and some other stuff to make for the 20% deposit on a house?
  20. SuperDaveOz

Receiver Collectors: Raise Your Hands!!!

Sorry about that, should have provided to you a photo from stock, or from internet to clarify what I'm looking for. You can see in this photo attachment they are shiny cap covers for the sliders. All 5 of mine are MIA. This photo was taken from the Internet, mine is also included to show them...
  21. SuperDaveOz

Receiver Collectors: Raise Your Hands!!!

I'm looking for the EQ knobs for the JR-S600 (maybe other models came with them also, not sure), and the switch for loudness (mine is borked.) Found one working (and loving the sound it produces on some of my speakers), want to restore it with those knobs, the switch for loudness (ain't working)...
  22. SuperDaveOz

What are some of the most over-the-top, obnoxious looking components from the 80s?

Like Ramzilla I picked up a working JVC JR-S600, got mine for 22.50 USD. Works fine, is missing EQ knobs, and the loudness push push no longer holds. Otherwise, nearly scratch free, and oversized silly stupid and looks amazing at a lot of angles. A plus is this powers 4 speakers at 8 ohm each...
  23. SuperDaveOz

It's been a long time

Bruce, I hope you list the books you found at auction, the 5 boxes. If you find you don't want some of them, please feel free to share them up with others. Shipping media rate can be pretty cheap, since they are books only and no advertisements. :) I'll PM you on my addy should you find you...
  24. SuperDaveOz

It's been a long time

Hey Bruce, welcome. I found "Understanding Electronics" helpful, a small book that is basic. I also found "Understanding Modern Electronics" helpful, done by Great Courses and Dr. Richard Wolfson. His style is practical, friendly, fun, interesting. He's a bit quirky, but clearly loves what...
  25. SuperDaveOz

Pioneer M-90 Power Amp

Just picked up a M-91 working in near mint condition for $40 clams. Both channels work great, no drop out or distortion as some have said might happen with cold solder joints or caps going bad or aging. This thing is built like a brick-house, 62 lbs dry weight. Had literally a back issue...
Back
Top Bottom