Search results

1. Uncle Bambi

Setting bias on a Sansui 881

Forgive the possibly stupid question, but here goes..... Getting ready to button up an 881 that I fixed, and am doing the final adjustments according to the SM. DC offset went well, but the bias current adjustment isn't working out right. I am on the correct fuse holders as specified, and have...
  2. Uncle Bambi

Sansui 881 with weak right channel - help needed

I picked up a clean little Sansui 881 a while back, and gave it a test run. The left side is strong and clear, but when I turn the balance to the right it is barely audible. I've cleaned the controls with DEOXIT which helped quite a bit with the other controls, but not the volume on the right...
  3. Uncle Bambi

Please help ID this cartridge

A friend of mine sent me these pics, and asked for an ID and possibly stylus replacements. My best guess is either AT11E or AT12E...... but I'm really throwing darts - I don't know, because all the vintage AT cartridges I've ever seen have had a model designator on them. Any help would be...
  4. Uncle Bambi

Need help troubleshooting a Sansui TU-217 tuner

I got this little orphan for free. The power light turns on, but no other lights. The Signal and Tune needles do not move when I sweep the dial, and there is no sound coming out. AC power is good, fuses ohm out. I have the SM, and checked the voltage on the blue wires coming into TM18 and TM19...
  5. Uncle Bambi

Pioneer SX-950 vs SX-980

I happened to get my hands on a SX-980, and if everything goes according to plan I'll acquire a SX-950 this Friday. The SX-980 is cosmetically rough, and I haven't gotten it to the bench to test yet (I assume it has issues). The SX-950 (I'm told) is nice cosmetically, and powers up but has no...
  6. Uncle Bambi

Found a nice record store in San Diego....

So - I was sent to San Diego for work last week (I know - tough gig, right?:)), and mid-week I got a chance to wander around a bit. I found a great place for breakfast, and then hit the bricks to see what I could see. I came cross a place called Folk Art Rare Records, and since it was open I...
  7. Uncle Bambi

Hot Carrier Diodes?

I came across a NOS packet of these. Are they "special purpose", or can I use them as N4148's?
  8. Uncle Bambi

Help decoding film capacitor values

I have a mixed bag of what appear to be film capacitors, and want to determine the values. I've added a pic below, but most are labeled with various numbers followed by a "K"... for example, 151K, 220K, 180K, and so forth. A guess would be that the "K" is a multiplier? I have 2 goals here...
  9. Uncle Bambi

Proton D940 - worth saving?

I saw this one at the local swap meet on Saturday. I have never heard of Proton but the unit was heavy and appeared well built, and at the price he was asking I figured I'd take a chance (also, it looked like a better version of my NAD 701). If anyone has some in-depth knowledge of this...
  10. Uncle Bambi

Bendix 2n375 transistor info?

I found a pair of these in a box of misc stuff, and tried doing a search. All I can find on the web is that they are probably Germanium, and that Bendix only made power transistors, not signal. So - I'm wondering if they cross with any other transistors new or old, if they are suitable for...
  11. Uncle Bambi

Have a sylus, need a cartridge

I have what appears to be a Sony VL-33G cartridge/stylus combo, and need to replace the cartridge. Doing a Google search finds me plenty of replacement stylus, but no replacement cartridges. Can you folks point me to vendors likely to have one? Generic is fine, I'm probably going to give the...
  12. Uncle Bambi

Picked up a box of NOS vintage transistors..... are they useful for audio applications?

I think these came from a radio/tv repair shop, and the numbers I'm seeing are not familiar to me... not that I know all that much. Here's a sample of the TO-92's: Motorola 2N3904 Motorola 2N3906 Motorola 2N5089 Unknown 2N3391A The Motorola's actually have little "EBC" letters cast in the...
  13. Uncle Bambi

Weird phono amp/turntable issue on a Marantz receiver

I have a Marantz 2220B on my bench that needed a little TLC. I deoxit'ed the pots, cleaned it, tested for function, and the re-capped everything but the tuner section. Everything works great (except FM won't lock on STEREO, but that's a separate thread in the Marantz forum). I get strong radio...
  14. Uncle Bambi

Looking for a Technics SL-1810 hinge

I have a SL-1810 that needs one hinge assembly. I've looked on the web, and have found SL-1200 series hinges, but am not sure if they are the same and would fit. If anyone can confirm that they are the same, suggest a substitute that would work, point me to a SL-1810 hinge source, or actually...
  15. Uncle Bambi

Dual 1218 - -motor not stopping

Switch to the off position, motor keeps turning. I have the SM, and did my due diligence by searching the forum. I cleaned and lubricated the switch arm, it seems to be working fine. I saw a mention of the switch capacitor being prone to shorting so I measured it, power off, and saw no...
  16. Uncle Bambi

Sansui 881 fuse resistors?

I picked up a nice 881, and am getting ready to order parts for the overhaul. I have the SM, and have a handle on the electrolytic caps and the BP electrolytics, and I can find and replace any problem transistors. I know just enough about Sansuis's to know they have fusible resistors that need...
  17. Uncle Bambi

2220B - yet another tuner issue

OK - two Marantz receivers in a row have been on my bench, and both have tuner issues. :( On the previous 2216B I recapped the tuner and caused my own problem. On this 2220B I HAVE NOT touched the tuner at all. This issue is a "no stereo light" in FM mode. The Stereo light illuminates when I...
  18. Uncle Bambi

Diode questions, Marantz 2220B

Question 1: On the power amp board, I have two MV-13's at locations H705 and H706. They show on the schematic as single diodes, but my experience with Sansui as well as an AK search tells me they are dual diodes, yes? Standard practice is to replace with one with two 4148's in series, yes...
  19. Uncle Bambi

Waking up a little Marantz

A while back, a fellow I shoot with gifted me with a pair of small Marantz receivers, a 2216B and a 2220B. They were both pretty much "barn finds" with the associated amounts of dust, hair, mouse turds, and spider webs inside. I cleaned up and overhauled the 2216B first... it had some issues...
  20. Uncle Bambi

Technics SL-D3 vs Technics SL-1810

I have been happily spinning my LP's on a vintage SL-D3 for years, having worked up the chain from a SL-D1 (bought new in 1979) and a SL-D2. I love the thing - it is a solid, reliable performer and sound great to me. Recently it rained a couple of turntables around here, and I find myself in...
  21. Uncle Bambi

Question about Steely Dan - Greatest Hits LP

I picked a copy at the local swap meet for $1, and am listening to it now. It has a gatefold with a slightly textured inside, and the inner sleeves are semi-gloss card stock with artwork. I think this might be a more limited edition, because the LP's are a yellow colored vinyl......... or were...
  22. Uncle Bambi

Marantz 2216B odd tuner issue

I received this unit as a "barn find", and after fixing a right channel issue and De-Oxiting the controls, got it to work very nicely. So, I proceeded to clean, adjust, and re-cap it. I took a chance at re-capping the tuner because there was a lot of corrosion/cleanup that the board needed. I...
  23. Uncle Bambi

Marantz 2216B help....

I was gifted a clean little Marantz 2216B, with a dead right channel. Left side plays OK, but with a slight background hiss. I have De-Oxit'ed all controls and that did not solve the issue with the right channel. This is a pretty simply built beast - tuner, power supply, tone control, and...
  24. Uncle Bambi

Darren Dalton and Don Baylor - RIP

A couple of good ballplayers from the not so distant past, both lost to cancer at a fairly young age. Rest in peace, and have fun on those forever green fields of play . I enjoyed watching you both play the game...
  25. Uncle Bambi

Marantz 2216B and 2220B rebuids - any special knowledge of "Gotchas"?

I picked up one each of these two receivers, and will be giving them both complete overhauls. I've worked several Pioneers and Sansui units, and know that those brands have peculiarities that need to looked for and addressed. Before I start building my parts list, I just wanted to see if the...
Back
Top Bottom