Search results

1. C

Jamo Speakers, Vintage and Otherwise

Proud new Jamo owner here! Earlier this year I got an unbelievable deal on a pair of Concert 11's and a D Sub8. I knew of Jamo, but hadn't known about the Concert series until I saw the sale. I recognized the Seas drivers and took a gamble... It took me no time to fall in love with them. Their...
  2. C

B.A.T. Kora and Dynaudio Confidence - OH MY!! (Chicago burbs 2nd hand)

This is a continuation of the sale I recently posted on.... apparently the ultra-hi-fi was tucked away in boxes with the Christmas decor haha. Audio gear is listed waaaay at the bottom https://www.estatesales.net/IL/Frankfort/60423/2560917 Monster Power surge $60 BAT VK-31SE preamp $1200 Kora...
  3. C

Chicago south burbs estate sale - Sony ES and Legacy bookshelfs!

Yeah the turntable is tempting and all, but given the current times this sale is pay in advance, and outdoor pick-up. So no testing even for power, nor rummaging around to potentially find the platter... speakers are a safer bet for me, and were cheaper! :D
  4. C

I'll take my chances on the Jamo's, those are improperly labeled... the towers are Concert 11/D870. They use SEAS Excel midrange and tweeter and I believe had a msrp of around $5k!! The center won't be used for now, and maybe ever. I also think the finish is mismatched *grumble grumble*. I'll...
  5. C

So my wife and I are big estate sale junkies, and we've spotted some gear at an on-going estate sale near us. There is a reasonably priced Sony DA50ES receiver, S7700 DVD player, and a pair of Legacy audio bookshelf speakers. Model isn't mentioned but I know Legacy these days is huge money...
  6. C

one week into 2019 and we already have an upgrade!

Thanks for the kind words everyone!! It has been a fun work in progress. To be totally honest, I am not completely in love with the recent GFA-555. Blasphemy, I know, but I can officially admit that at this point I may have hit overkill, even by my hifi-minded standards. I feel like it is...
  7. C

Chicago Area/Southern WI AKers - February 23, 2019 - Save the Date

I will for sure save the date, and should probably be able to attend. As others have said, I just may try to shove a piece gear in the backseat to sell/barter with, but this should be a good time regardless. If for sure going, I'll PM and/or search posts for the address. Love this idea, society...
  8. C

Show Us Your Sonys!!!

Found a super clean dirt cheap S7700 yesterday for system #2. I am based out of home for work, and this is in the "spare room"/office. Previously was using as CA70ES. Although not ES badged, the S7700's are tanks. My uncle had one I remember when growing up, it was the first DVD player I saw up...
  9. C

one week into 2019 and we already have an upgrade!

I don't post here too terribly often, so figured I should show off the system/gear here as well. This system has been an ever evolving effort, and at this point I have upgraded speakers and amps several times. My first "serious" stereo purchase was a pair of B&W speakers purchased new-old-stock...
  10. C

Riddle: what has 300w, a near cult following, and became my first upgrade of the year?

And now, some pictures... After clean-up/initial testing Officially in place, holy crap this thing is huge! Now, to figure out what to do with the Rotel...
  11. C

Riddle: what has 300w, a near cult following, and became my first upgrade of the year?

I'm a semi-rare poster, and semi-casual lurker here, but had a recent upgrade worth sharing... My wife and I are estate sale junkies, and routinely browse estatesales.net for local listings. I happened to see an ad for a "warehouse sale" happening the next weekend, and listed in the pictures...
  12. C

this weekend's estate find; nobody checks the basement!

Yeah, she's pretty great! If you dig through the threads I've posted, she's actually helped me out with hifi a few times!
  13. C

Thanks everyone! Although not a truly unbelievable deal (that was the Adcom... $10!), I am so far very pleased with the upgrade You should! This series seems fairly impressive. I found a review that measured the 980BX as 2ohm stable. This amp seems to be an older (and possibly beefier)...
  14. C

And now.... the all-important pictures! :D The Rotel when being inspected/powered up at home. Also seen in the background is the GFA-2535 it replaced. Please excuse all the dust! In place. The amp is super clean and seems to get less warm than the Adcom. The adapter on top is for...
  15. C

So yesterday morning I am napping on the couch, recovering from being sick nearly all week, when my fiancé awakes me with her ipad in hand, opened to an estate sale listing. "I'm sure this will interest you" she says. I look and see a stack of goodies, with an older Bryston(!!!) amp on the...
  16. C

Show Us Your Sonys!!!

My 2nd system (office/spare room) is becoming an ES collection GX800ES with a CA70ES. Neither are ultra rare, but the GX800 has programable inputs and is 2ohm stable in stereo! Speakers are 4ohm Mission Argonaut's (excuse the car parts under wrap). All items were 2nd hand/thrift, and cost...
  17. C

Boy do I love estate sales... (big, heavy, and totally overkill)

Yeah, I thought about it when I first arrived. But over the fall I got a pair of 4ohm Mission Argonauts for $50(!?) that currently occupy my spare room. If I didn't have them I would bid more aggressively. Although it turns out that would've been over-paying. Haha! I am shocked that more people...
  18. C

Yeah all of my hifi (and 2nd hand) scores I keep. I'm too poor to buy this stuff new, I'm in for my use/benefit and not to profit off others! Funny you mention the good deeds... the local Saver's thrift store has been very good to me (firnature, new Merrell boots, ceramic cast-iron cookware and...
  19. C

Interesting dialog started here! Obviously I choose to shop 2nd hand. I trust that in nearly all *true* estate sales the family has already had time to claim heirlooms, keepsakes, collectables, etc. (I understand that this will not always be the case). That said, I highlight the word *true*...
  20. C

I believe they were top of the line. I think they replaced the LSi15's (which are the same minus the sub amp). I found a Stereophile blip from 2008 talking about their release and mentioned a price of $3000/pair! These speakers, and the entire LSi series, have since been replaced by the...
  21. C

a few last pics (for now haha), and a quick question. Rack/gear money shot. I'm a rare poster here, so I usually include specs... PS Audio Digital Link III Apple TV PS3/WiiU (ZELDA!!!) Pro-Ject Debut III w/speedbox and Ortofon 2M Blue Marantz SR4023 (pre/phono) ADCOM GFA 2535 Martin Logan...
  22. C

Thanks for the feedback! I'm still in shock in some ways. But to be honest, getting these set up and dialed in has been... interesting. The bass from the Polks seems to be much more volume-dependent and a bit boomier than my Martin Logan Dynamo. I have the original Dynamo, which is sealed...
  23. C

And now......... PICS!!! Unloading. Also seen were my existing B&W 602.5's, which now look like matchsticks haha As they sit. They are driven by an Adcom GFA2535, in full bi-amp. The Adcom is a 4ch amp, basically two GFA535's in one package. The amp is only rated at...
  24. C

BACKGROUND: My girlfriend and I are estate sale junkies, and I have struck gold for a 2nd time. Well, not *gold* but a damn good deal! When she browses online, she will describe or name the brand of any stereo pics posted, and I took a glance when she said "Polk Audio?". Within the pics I...
Back
Top Bottom