Search results

1. J English

Pioneer SX-636 vs. Harman Kardon 330B

The problem with the 330B is that it's likely not just going to need new caps, but also all of those small transistors, as I've been told that is the cause of the very audible hiss I have on both of mine. So that can add up in time and expense. If you have the time and patience to do it, then go...
  2. J English

Classic NAD pre-amp connect to Class D amp

I've used my NAD 1020 preamp with some small class D chip amps, such as the Aiyima A04 or A07 or the Fosi V3, when I want input flexibility, and those combinations have worked well. On startup, just be careful to keep the volume low to mid on the preamp and start from 0 volume on the amp... I...
  3. J English

Going All The Way Back to...........Bose!

That is one butt-ugly crossover assembly for sure!
  4. J English

Another KA-3500 restoration thread

It's a great amp! Worth the time to rework. Mine just came back recently from another extensive rework by another member here (who is also a friend near me) after it had developed an intermittent left channel crackle. He also replaced the main speaker jacks so now I can use banana plugs, which...
  5. J English

dlucy's guide to Harman Kardon minimalist series 230A, 330, 330A, 330B B-1, 330B B-2, and 330C

Both of my 330Bs have developed transistor hiss, sadly, and I have too much vintage stuff to invest in them, so will probably sell off later this spring. Fortunately, my 430 is still going strong. Different transistors and other components, I guess. I love the look of the 330B and the sound...
  6. J English

Maybe ask your sellers if any of the units have been reworked, even partially? And yes, I use both vintage and new, love both, but wanted to point out that the 330B transistors are a trouble spot, and there are a lot of them that would need replacement if they start to go. I have an unrestored...
  7. J English

Boston A150 Upgrade?

Another vote for ADS. I have the low end L520 and L420 models and they are great 2-ways. We don't see them very often in the Midwest for sale, alas. The are "worth the trip" even if you have to drive a bit to pick them up.
  8. J English

Good vintage bookshelf speakers - lots of options from Advent, KEF, ADS, Infinity etc - my favorite are ADS L series if you can find them...my favorite Advent speaker is the 5002. In modern speakers, the ELAC Debut 6.0 series is a very good value...nice looking, good sound, rubber surrounds on...
  9. J English

One big thing about the 330B - I have two, loved mine, but they now both have transistor hiss and it's quite noticeable. The components in these do age out, so be aware that even if working OK now, it may require extensive work later on. I plan to sell both of mine off to a local audio shop that...
  10. J English

Kenwood KA-3500 batwing output replacements? What's the best option today?

She's only rated at 40wpc, so I'm not surprised she starts to clip at 42...given that this was the budget amp of the lineup at the time. That being said, I normally play at about 1/3 to 1/2 (phono) on the volume pot, as those are real watts...
  11. J English

Looks great! Happy the old girl will live to sing another day!
  12. J English

Class D Wow!

The one that got all of us on ASR going a few years ago was the Aiyima A07, still a good amp and inexpensive (~$60 depending on power supply). The newer A07 MAX has a different form factor, taper volume pot, vented case, stereo/mono switchability, better binding posts etc. Fosi's V3 has similar...
  13. J English

Help me pick out a cheap new(er) amp

True, and I use those, but ultimately I'd like something a bit more elegant.
  14. J English

Help me pick out a cheap new(er) amp

I use a number of the Class D amps, they are good little performers. I do plan to get a new A-S501 later this year for my main downstairs system. I am planning on selling off some of my vintage gear to help offset the purchase. The drawback of the small Class D amps is the lack of full-fledged...
  15. J English

New Stylus distortion

I swapped styli about 2 years ago and did not need to reset anything - exact same setup as yours. I like the sound of the ML stylus, I plan to keep using this for my main tt setup and also replacing downstairs when the V95 elliptical on there wears out.
  16. J English

Looks great! I love the new binding posts...the original style are a real PITA.
  17. J English

New Aiyima A07 MAX Amplifier - Small Footprint, Good Sound

The original A07 is still a really good amp. The MAX is not a huge improvement, in my view, particularly if one's not using the MONO capability. The MAX and the Fosi V3 have better cooling, so maybe that adds to the life of the product a bit... The original A07 can get very loud with a 32 or 36v...
  18. J English

Amplifier with great phono stage.

This is kind of a challenge - as most integrateds from that era may need some refurbishment before being equal to a modern integrated amp, or a separate amp + phono preamp. Fitting within your budget that is. If you can find a restored unit for $300 - such as a lower end Kenwood (KA-3500 is...
  19. J English

Do new amps sound "dry" +reliability issues?

Depending on how many inputs you need, and how loud you want to play, if you want small, many new quite good class D amps that would fit the bill (Fosi, SMSL, Aiyima). Or, if you want a full integrated/one box solution yeah, the basic current Yamaha lineup is a good way to go. There are a number...
  20. J English

Fosi Audio BT20A Pro, is it a real amp?

Wow, amazing that they work OK with the Maggies too. I don't have the 48v power brick but this is good to know for futures...
  21. J English

Fosi Audio BT20A Pro, is it a real amp?

For more power, get a 48v 5a power supply and use with the Fosi V3 or their new ZA amp, or the Aiyima A07 or A07MAX are all good. The new V3 and A07 MAX have vented cases which improves cooling for the chip and amp interior. The Fosi V3 and the Aiyima A07 have a tapered volume pot, more...
  22. J English

All cassette decks are equal

It is true that modest 2-head decks from good makers can give very good sound quality. And that some of the higher-end Nak decks do require greater care and maintenance than other decks. Ditto Tandberg. I have about 12 decks I rotate through to keep working well. Still getting good service from...
  23. J English

Streaming system on a budget: Old vs new? Cable vs wireless?

Can't say enough good about the WiiM Mini. Bought mine for about $65. Fast setup, plays great. Use its DAC or add in your own via Toslink out. Good pickup of the WiFi signal even in our old 1916 house with plaster and lath walls. Nice app, easy to control streams.
  24. J English

Class A, AB vs latest Class D amps? How close is Class D?

Many of us love the new cheaper items coming out from SMSL, Fosi, and Aiyima - perfectly good mini amps for small to medium sized systems. The new Fosi V3 is great, so is the original Aiyima A07. They will take power bricks up to 48v. All these makers continue to improve what they are doing with...
  25. J English

Cheap speakers with expensive amp or the other way around?

ADS speakers will do that to 'ya...
Back
Top Bottom