Search results

1. J English

New Aiyima A07 MAX Amplifier - Small Footprint, Good Sound

Photos: 3 amps side by side (MAX, Fosi V3, original A07), close up of front of the A07 MAX, rear panel of the MAX) This is a mini-review of the new Aiyima A07 MAX class D amplifier from my "average Joe" perspective. Aiyima was gracious enough to send me a unit for review and evaluation. I...
  2. J English

Mini Review - New Fosi Audio N3 Bluetooth/Aux Compact Headphone Amplifier

Fosi Audio recently sent me a fairly new product to try out, their N3 bluetooth receiver/headphone amp. It's a bit of a niche product but I was interested to review one after seeing the photos. It is currently available on "that auction site" for $60, but I don't see it yet on Fosi's main...
  3. J English

Decent Compact CD Player with Coax or Toslink Out?

I've been searching off and on for a while, but there is one piece of gear I just can't locate... I want a wall-powered very compact CD player similar to this Ceihoit unit, but with coax and/or toslink out. I want to use the drive as a transport with my desktop setup and bring the digital...
  4. J English

HK 590i DC Issues - Thinking About Next Steps

Harman Kardon 590i, I'm second owner, bought from eBay about ten years ago, rotate in occasionally. Rotated in again about a week ago, DC at speaker terminals seemed stable & low, so I connected and enjoyed for a week in the sunporch system. Then, suddenly, very bad sounds coming from my...
  5. J English

Phillips 312 LED Replacement (Stop function)

My auto-stop ceased working on my early Phillips 312, a function I really liked. But rather than one of the well known bulbs, I find this red LED inside is the culprit - I get no continuity on a multimeter check. Anyone have a spec or place I can get a replacement from?
  6. J English

Phillips 312 Left Channel Out - What to Try Next?

Hey, AK vinyl lovers - wanted to ask for your help in diagnosing a Phillips 312 TT in good condition, but with the L channel out (hum only). I bought this table last week from one of my local record stores for the princely sum of $20 with the channel issue known and no cartridge. They had done...
  7. J English

Service Manual Help0

Hey, wondering if someone on here could download and send me the service manual for a Yamaha P-320. I am locked out of Vinyl Engine - have tried EVERY variation on name, PW etc I and think of and the board won't let me in. I'm fairly p'd off that there is no moderator assistance anymore for...
  8. J English

Yamaha P-320 Auto-Return Problem

Just curious if anyone else has recently worked on or solved an auto-return fail with a Yamaha P series turntable. My old trusty 320 was serviced a few years back, and is working well apart from not returning the arm at the end of a side anymore. If I cue up the arm and push it over a bit...
  9. J English

Static charge damage to NAD 5240...any fix?

Looking for advice on where to start with one of my favorite old players, a NAD 5240. Very basic cd player from 1987, but has a very nice sound. I'd like to fix it if I can. I was using it with one of my small 3116 chip amp builds. That amp has a volume pot I added that had, stupidly, an...
  10. J English

Recap for KEF Q15.2 - caps options?

While my tweeters are getting reworked, I was thinking about replacing the capacitors on my KEF Q15.2 speakers. The original ones would be around 20 years old - they are LICON brand caps. One is marked as 8.5 uF/50v and the other as 12 uF/100v. Anyone know of some good high-quality replacements...
  11. J English

Long-term equipment want/lust list?

Every now and then, I compile my "what if money were almost no object...what would I buy?" Did a new list today to relieve the pressure in my brain. (I'm a very thrifty person and almost always buy things used, and I do like my mid-fi equipment - so this will probably never get used. And of...
  12. J English

Emotiva A-100 versus A-150

Have been thinking about trying a new slightly higher end amp - looking for AK opinions/thoughts re these two lower-price Emotiva products. I have never owned any Emotiva gear. My main standalone amps in some of my secondary systems include Yamaha M-35s and various D amps, mostly 3116 and 3118...
  13. J English

Nakamichi BX Deck - Head Damage?

Was bidding today on a BX unit in nice shape, but noticed that the seller's photo of the playback head had some odd lines or mars on either side of the gap. Wondering what the experts here think of this issue - is this worth taking a gamble on? The unit otherwise is in nice shape and would seem...
  14. J English

Advent CR70 Cassette Owners?

I think these are fairly rare - I still have about 10-15 that I went off to college with in 1977. I ripped most to CD a few years back as I was worried about the tape degrading, but they seem to be holding up so far. Still amazingly good sound after 40 years (I usually run with Dolby B OFF as...
  15. J English

Great little office setup for cheap...Schiit/VSONIC

I'm really quite happy with my current DAC/AMP setup at work. $83 for: Used Schiit Fulla DAC/AMP ($50) VSONIC VSD 1S earphones ($30) Monoprice USB cable ($3) Great, powerful sound. Good sound isolation with the VSDs (important, now that I am a cube dweller). I was getting some USB noise from...
  16. J English

Rhino "Start Your Ear Off Right" Day!

I got The Replacements - Let It Be reissue! My grail album! For all of $20. Anyone else get one of the special releases today? http://www.rhino.com/syeor
  17. J English

Audioquest Jitterbug - Any Success Stories Out There?

Trying to decide whether to sell off my AQ Jitterbug - I can't hear that it's doing anything for my lower end DAC experience. Bought it to pair with a Schiit Fulla that has a lot of line noise at higher volume, but unfortunately when plugged in series with the DAC, my HP laptop at work no longer...
  18. J English

Recommendations re any programs to "batch convert" an iTunes library?

Hey, digital AKers...looking for any info re a highly automated way to create a 2nd version of my iTunes library. My problem is that I have used a variety of importing formats over the years, most recently using .wav for any jazz music (more critical listening for me) or for other music where...
  19. J English

Yamaha M-35 Channel Out - Replace amp IC?

Cycling through equipment this week, I find that my right channel on a Yamaha M-35 is dead, no sound at all. Left channel is fine and un-distorted. I opened it up and see no signs of bad caps or any other visual issue. I do get a relay click. Am I correct in thinking that the likely culprit is...
  20. J English

Non-Switching Power Options for Tripath Amp?

Liking the 13.2 volt, 3 amp Pyramid power supply that I am using for my TPA3116 amps, I am wanting to get something better (but still on the inexpensive side) for my SMSL SA-50 amps, which need between 19-24 volts and 3-5 amps. Anyone know of any options out there? The laptop type power supplies...
  21. J English

Two Semi-New Aging Issues: HK430 and HK TD 292

So my aging vintage fleet has some persistent trouble spots developing...are these consistent with capacitor replacement needs? HK430 - working well in all respects EXCEPT a phono circuit hiss coming mostly/completely from the tweeters. No sound distortion per se, just the high hiss. The TT...
  22. J English

HK 430 - Turntable Ground issue

I just rotated my trusty old HK 430 into the sun porch system for awhile. My problem is that I am now getting a TT ground hum with the wire connected. I know the TT is OK because I got no hum with the other amps that have been in there. Anything I should check inside the receiver? I tried...
  23. J English

Best Alternate Pop/Rock Song Versions?

Thought it might be interesting to see what AKers would come up with for the best released/commercially available alternate takes of favorite songs... The item that prompted this thought last night was the alternate version of Elton John's "Madman Across the Water" that appears on the SACD...
  24. J English

My New Headphone Amp...

For my work system, decided to mix it up the other day, changed out my Yamaha CR-240 for the very clean B&O Beomaster 4000 I've had for about 20 years. Sound is surprisingly good. My sources are the NAD CD 5240 you see above and a "Dac Destroyer" Dac from my notebook with Audioquest cables. I...
  25. J English

Grounding for a simple (pre) volume control?

Hey, AK gang, a quick question. I have some parts on order and am going to wire up a simple volume control (no resistors) to use as a volume control with my Sure 3110 amp build. I will be using a 4-pin ALPS 50k blue potentiometer. I am unsure what I need to do as far as ground wire connections...
Back
Top Bottom