Search results

1. J

Supercharged - Maverick Audio TubeMagic D2 DAC

I have a D1 Plus and I purchased a Sparkos op-amp to try. I've tried going through all 50 pages of this thread but I'm a little confused as to where I need to install the op-amp. I've read that the D1 Plus has two op-amps that can be upgraded but only one is needed if I don't use the headphones...
  2. J

Yamaha C4 Preamp Recap Question

Thanks for the list of capacitors that are in the signal path. It saved me a lot of trouble as I was having difficulty reading the schematic and figuring out the path of the audio signal.
  3. J

Thanks for the suggestions. I did not even consider replacing the VD1212 or 2SC458 transistors but will replace those as well. I think those are also the same transistors I had to replace in my Akai reel to reel deck. Now the hard part is to figure out which capacitors are in the signal path so...
  4. J

I have a Yamaha C4 preamp that I would like to recap. I have the service manual and will be making a list of all the electrolytic capacitors that I need to purchase. I will be ordering from Digikey or Mouser but the problem is I'm not sure what type of capacitors I should choose. Does anyone...
  5. J

Akai GX-1900D working again and sounds fantastic!

That song just happened to be the one playing next at the time I made the video. I've been playing music on it everyday and I've enjoyed using it so far because its nice to have a second reel to reel to use in my living room. I also didn't know they made one that played 8 track tapes! It...
  6. J

Akai GX-1900D working again and sounds fantastic!

A while ago I decided to repair my dad's old Akai reel to reel tape deck which I was able to do after several hours of trying to figure why it wasn't working. So thanks again to everyone that helped me on here. I'm listening to some recordings I made on my Pioneer RT-707 and this deck sounds...
  7. J

Akai GX-1900D reel to reel right channel sound problem

I took a bit of break from troubleshooting because I just couldn't figure it out. Usually after a break I come back with a fresh mind and I'm able to figure things out. I mentioned before it was sort of working and I get sound out of both channels but only at lower volumes. If I increased...
  8. J

The volume pots don't go to ground and they seem to be working fine when I test them with a multimeter. I checked capacitors that the meters lead to and one of them measures a much lower resistance compared to the same capacitor on the other channel but I'm not sure if that would cause both...
  9. J

Yes I cleaned the pots and switches again after finding Deoxit D5 at a local electronics shop. I also experience the same symptoms with cassette and reel to reel. If I short the pot by adding a wire from the center to the input terminal isn't that the same as if I had the pot at the minimum...
  10. J

I finally got some free time to work on the tape deck today. I measured the voltages on the pins for both op amps and there's about 21 volts on pin 9 and 23 volts on pin 8 so it looks like it has the proper voltage going in. So here's the strange part. I finally got sound out of it but I...
  11. J

I made the new op amp pcb's and soldered all the components on. I removed the old op amps and soldered in the new ones. I turn the unit on and both vu meters go all the way to the left so I knew it didn't work and there's still no sound with both cassette and reel. Maybe I need to use Deoxit...
  12. J

I used to etch my own boards a long time ago and I'm used to soldering small smt components so it shouldn't be too hard to make. Once I get the boards done and installed I'll give an update to let you know if it fixed the problem or not.
  13. J

Thanks for the link on how to mod the board to use another replacement IC. It looks a bit complicated though. I did some searching and found a way to make a replacement op amp that fits int he same 9 holes as the original. I just need to order the transistors and resistors to make the circuit...
  14. J

Isolation base for Rega P3-24

There's so many different options. I already have the oak wood cut so maybe I'll try inner tube idea if I can find one. The Ikea Lack table looks like a good idea too but I don't have the space for that in my room.
  15. J

Isolation base for Rega P3-24

I was thinking of making an isolation base for my Rega turntable but I was wondering if I could use a 1 or 2 inch thick piece of maple or oak wood? If I made it with similar dimensions as the turntable and put vibrapods on the bottom would this work well for my turntable?
  16. J

I did spray the volume pots but it seems electronic stores here don't sell deoxit. So I used MG Chemicals Contact Cleaner instead but that didn't seem to do anything. I tried doing what you suggested. I got a 22 gauge solid strand wire to use at the test points but I didn't hear anything...
  17. J

I finally got around to taking a look inside to see what could be wrong. Getting to the top side of the preamp board to remove components was not easy. I measured the 2SC458 transistors and they all seem good. I had my meter in diode test mode and I measured from the base to collector and...
  18. J

I guess I should be more systematic but I will keep that in mind for when I actually do get around to taking a look to see what's wrong. Hopefully I'll have some time this week.
  19. J

I figured since it sounds a bit better after its been warmed up a while it was probably an electronics related problem. But who knows since I"m just guessing so maybe you're right and it could be some other simple problem. I tried what I recorded on a good tape deck and it still sounds bad...
  20. J

I looked at the schematic for the preamp section and took a guess that it might be the transistors. I also thought it could be a capacitor problem too. I tried recording from a cd player and the right channel still doesn't work that well but I get really good sound out of the left. I have a...
  21. J

Yes its the one that also has a cassette player built in. I get the same problem also with playing cassettes. The volume controls seem to work well still and there's not static crackling sounds when I adjust them but I'll probably still try to get some Deoxit to clean them once I get around to...
  22. J

I just got an old Akai GX1900D reel to reel from my dad. He said he stopped using it a long time ago because the right channel wasn't working. So I hooked it up and played some music and only sound comes out from the left side but on the right side the volume is very very low even with the...
Back
Top Bottom