Search results

1. Tube Sound

McIntosh loaded Barzilay console value

Wow. Very cool. I understand the falling in love. Repeating “do it”. Maybe I’m alone here but how often do you see all of this grouped together? What did your buddy pick it up for?
  2. Tube Sound

McIntosh loaded Barzilay console value

If you go to the usual sites for values, looking at each piece, 5k seems reasonable but not “start the car” score. Questions when reading your post, cosmetics, tubes, console model? Cosmetics critical. I hope the Barzilay is mid-century. If you “fell in love with it”, do it. I don’t see this as...
  3. Tube Sound

This Shit Jams

Perhaps an SX-1080 missing many switch knobs and CT-F1000 cassette. Dat some nice shit …. price maybe not.
  4. Tube Sound

Local Speaker Choices

I bought Nova 7’s to pair with my STA-2300. They were $60. The beautifully built cabs needed a little work and turned out nice. I like the sound very much, especially for the money. They might not be my first choice on the list, no experience with the others, although I’ve been intrigued with...
  5. Tube Sound

Weekly Estate and Garage sale finds (pics)

From an estate sale, an original watercolor by artist Harry Heine (1928-2004). Heine was an artist on Vancouver Island who specialized in maritime scenes. He was well regarded and his art included towns asking him to paint marine related murals on buildings.
  6. Tube Sound

Hifi hoarder cleanout

Holy crap. May be the find of the year, volume wise. That’s cool. You’re a tough man to lift all that…. whoa.
  7. Tube Sound

thoughts on market price for classic audio equipment?

They should have made an SX-1950. Them bad.
  8. Tube Sound

Marantz 2600 on eBay... $30,000!

It’s in Canada priced in USD. $40,318.20 in Canadian dollars.
  9. Tube Sound

Altec Lansing A5b

I don’t have experience with A5’s but do have Altec Valencia, a different animal. Most if not all of the large horn/big woofer Altec’s are highly regarded. These appear to be from around 1980 or 1981. They are huge but some say will sound wonderful, even in a smaller space. You mention listening...
  10. Tube Sound

Marantz 2385 lamp housing access

Thanks for the guidance! These are led basic white. I sliced around the old Stereo and Dolby bulbs with x-acto knife and pulled them out. I spliced the new bulbs with butt connectors. I have a soldering iron but not going deep inside with my amateur skills. So far, so good. Thank you Mr. Buckner...
  11. Tube Sound

Thanks. I had started with my x-acto knife. Is the (used to be) white rubber tab the bulb sits in supposed to pop out? I can slice the bulb out but wondering if easier with the tab out. I suppose it’s a moot point but why would you glue in something (bulb) that will fail and need to be replaced?
  12. Tube Sound

Thank you Mr. Buckner! I was attempting to remove the dial scale plate and it was not necessary. They are in. Perhaps nothing broken! My next question, I am changing the Stereo and Dolby bulbs. The existing bulbs appear almost glued in. Slight brown gunk around them. You can see the DLB-1 above...
  13. Tube Sound

Thanks for the help. When you say two screws on the lamp board, are you referring to the white plastic housing? Where might those screws be? I don’t see them. It would appear from my images, you could push down the right and left plastic tabs and the metal tuner dial would slip out, exposing the...
  14. Tube Sound

I am changing the lamps in the 2385. I have reached a point where the metal dial frame and plastic lamp housing are exposed. I see two plastic tabs, right and left. I am able to gently push these down but nothing seems to release. I am trying to remove the dial frame to expose the housing with...
  15. Tube Sound

Motorolla cantonesian priced too high ?

A console like this needing work will not be an easy sale for the seller. If I wanted it, I would offer way, way less, like $200. These can be near impossible to get rid of and I would not be shocked if a low offer took it. If I was wanting a console, I would pick a mid-century cabinet, loaded...
  16. Tube Sound

Technics SA-1000

Marantz tax x 4. They are cool but not that cool.
  17. Tube Sound

Does gear sound better when you get it for cheap?

I don’t know about cheap but my gear sounds better with beer.
  18. Tube Sound

Restore a Fisher 500c? Or go with powered monitors?

Properly operating Fisher tube gear is extremely appealing, imo. I would certainly do this number one and figure out the speakers after. What you are using the 500c for is foreign to me. I do know every time I cranked it on, I would be dying to find another AR2, to complete this combination. I...
  19. Tube Sound

AR 3A Questions

Wow. Please post a pic of them waxed or oiled. You really did an amazing job, the right way. Very cool. :lurk:
  20. Tube Sound

McIntosh amps sold at Bonham's

Be nicer if (2) 60’s. :lurk:
  21. Tube Sound

Marantz 2385 lamp replacement

Thanks for the replies. The lamps that are out are, far left of dial, at the 92 94 fm range and far right of dial. My posted image does not reflect these well. In looking at the video that the_nines posted (thank you!), it looks like the lamps are right there, when the faceplate is removed...
  22. Tube Sound

Marantz 2385 lamp replacement

My 2385 needs 3 lamps replaced, based on what I see. I have read what should be a simple task, is a pain in the ass. My question, after removing the faceplate and top, is it necessary to remove the lamp housing, tuner cord, various boards, etc.? I have read some say no and others say yes. Trying...
  23. Tube Sound

Harman Kardon 460I/Mystery Turntable listed locally.

Turntable may be a Dual 621. HK 460i receiver. I don’t have an opinion on either one but $30 is not much if you want to check them out.
  24. Tube Sound

Speaker stand question

I’m going to try the Scotch grippers and see how they work. May move to other suggestions here if not happy. Thanks again. I really like the design of the stands. The 9.5 inch height is just about right. I know a wood guy and may ask him to duplicate them. I would add a back stop.
Back
Top Bottom