Search results

1. P

Accidentally scored a G-22000 on epay

First, congratulations on your auction win. I would also like to pass along a few suggestions with regard to packing. USPS offers a service called "special handling." According to their website (www.usps.com), packages sent this way will receive preferential treatment whenever possible. Although...
  2. P

Pioneer pl 570 big disappointment

I believe the two biggest problems with buying gear from someone unknown is whether the description fits the goods, and will the item be packed well enough to withstand shipping. I've been fortunate most of the time with buying well-described items. Unfortunately, good packing is usually...
  3. P

Au-417

I purchased a Sansui AU-417 last June/July for 100 USD plus 20.00 shipping. Unit was almost mint. Unfortunately, poor packing caused a few problems but the greatest damage has been corrected. Seller refunded the shipping amount.
  4. P

Can someone explain what is happening with my Adcom preamp/tuner?

I'm glad to see that there is still interest in this thread. I haven't had my Adcom preamp/tuner repaired (for the second time) because I currently live overseas and there aren't any radio stations I know of that I want to listen to. I did, however, purchase a reprint of the service manual for...
  5. P

Packing/Shipping 101

I would like to add something about the use of hard styrafoam panels as packing material. I have received two amps in which the sellers used these panels, with very little more in the way of packing, and in both times the amps have been damaged. I feel that if these panels are used, they must be...
  6. P

Does anyone know how to bend back metal?

Thanks for your reply, Michael. At this time I don't have a way of taking a photo and posting it. I tried to "draw" an outline of the unit showing the damage and posting it here but when I previewed the message, the outline was different. The best way I can describe it is to imagine a box--a...
  7. P

Thank you for your reply, Army. Let me give more information. First, the entire rear panel is bent inwards; that is, it is pushed in. There is no crease. The area by the speaker connections is the worse, with about half an inch bent in towards the amp body. The bend is worse towards the top of...
  8. P

When buying vintage audio gear, the two biggest worries seem to be: "Will it work?" and "Will it arrive in the shape it was advertised?" Recently I bought a Sansui AU-417 amp from someone on the Audiogon website. His feedback showed that he packed very well. When I received the amp, I found...
  9. P

Adding a "Surcharge" for Paypal Use

One point that may not have been made yet is that Paypal gives a seller a certain amount of credibility that some buyers look for. In addition to this forum, I am a member of the Les Paul Forum, which is about Gibson guitars. Sometimes warnings are placed on that forum regarding eBay auctions...
  10. P

Sansui Windowshopping

There may be some interest in visiting the overseas Yahoo auction websites. I've learned that, particularly in some Asian countries, Yahoo Auctions seem far more established than eBay. I go to yahoo.com, click on auctions and then go down to close to the end of the page for the links to the...
  11. P

I want one BUT...

It just gets better and better... It may not interest many forum members, but I find the progression fascinating. The seller lowered the price $24.00 but it still didn't sell. Now he has bid on the manual for this unit. Should I doubt that if he wins the auction for the manual, he will try...
  12. P

I want one BUT...

Update... The seller lowered the price from $199 to $175. Now if he would lower it another $125 it would be far more tempting.
  13. P

I want one BUT...

Thanks for the reply. I've been checking eBay Taiwan for the last several weeks. The 8500 NT$ pricetag translates into about $250 US. I've bid on four AU-222's since looking for one on eBay. Usually it's just me and one or two other people bidding on them. The bidding stops around 50 to 60...
  14. P

I want one BUT...

Someone's dreaming.... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3054191170&category=3280
  15. P

Question about Sansui "Sound"

My impression based on listening to my Sansui AU-555 is that the sound has more definition, greater presence and fuller body. It's difficult to express in words, but those are some of the words I would use. Last night I was listening to a piece of Baroque music. Often the harpsichord is...
  16. P

Sansui availability in Asian countries.

I know that vintage Sansui equipment was exported to many countries in the west, but would anyone know how extensive their exports might have been to Asian countries other than Japan. My interest in asking is a thought I had several days ago--that it might be easier to find Sansui equipment...
  17. P

Looking out for the customs man (or woman)

I want to thank everyone who submitted a reply to my post. I think I better mention, however, that my original post said nothing about doing anything illegal to get out of paying custom duties. I only wanted to ask what are some of the things that one can legally do to lessen the amount of tax...
  18. P

Looking out for the customs man (or woman)

I am interested in how other members who buy gear from outside their country handle customs. I live most of the year in Taiwan and if I mail something to myself from the states I do not pay customs on it--or at least I haven't had to yet. But if I buy certain items, like audio equipment, outside...
  19. P

Bad Purchase:Pioneer CT-F700 on eBay

I think Blue Meanie's experience reminds us just how risky it can be to buy items through ebay. Even when dealing with a seller with excellent feedback, problems can still occur. I've had two such experiences where it was only through the honesty of the seller that problems with what I had...
  20. P

best vintage story

My vintage story happened many years ago when the stuff we now call vintage was new. In the late 60s and very early 70s, I lived in Germany. My father was in the Air Force. Through his efforts I got a job working at the audio club on Bitburg Air Base. The audio club was a store where stereo...
  21. P

Does anyone here use fans to cool their system?

Thanks for the quick replies. At this time I aim a floor fan on the amp and that does a fair job of cooling part of it. But I want to rig something up that will be more functional and quieter. I was thinking of the type of fans used to cool computers. I may be limited in what I can find in...
  22. P

Does anyone here use fans to cool their system?

Just wondering if anyone in this forum uses fans to cool their system(s). I have an Adcom amp that runs hot, although the thermal protection has never kicked in. The only time this amp runs cooler is in the winter. But knowing that heat can shorten the life of electronic equipment, I think it...
  23. P

Can someone explain what is happening with my Adcom preamp/tuner?

I've only seen one or two posts regarding Adcom, but I am hoping someone with more technical knowledge than I can tell me what is the problem with my GTP-500 II preamp/tuner. I've had this unit for about 10 years. Since I purchased the GTP-500 II the tuner often ceases to function and will...
  24. P

Best way to pack to ship.

I agree that you want the item(s) in a box to be able to absorb shock. But what is the best way to do that? I tend to believe that styroform is not the way to go because if it is against something fragile in a box and the box gets hit hard, the styroform will just transfer the force of the hit...
  25. P

Best way to pack to ship.

This is my first "true" post to this website. In the short time I've been a member, I've been able to receive a service manual to one of the vintage pieces I own. Thanks again to ckelly for putting the service manual to the Sansui AU-555 on this website. In fact, my AU-555 is very much the...
Back
Top Bottom