Search results

1. J

Questions about driving six speakers

My mistake then. I'm coming to the conclusion that a solid two channel "upgrade" is better than driving multiple speakers in stereo? What about for the purpose of soundstage? (suppose one wanted to drive the same type of speaker in multiple pairs with a 2 channel source)?
  2. J

I recall also seeing a listening room which utilized JBL monitors (L-100's or something similar) alongside of Infinity Quantum Jr's and QLS. This does not seem to be a fairly uncommon practice; what is acoustically matching is a decision which should be made by the listener. My purpose is to...
  3. J

Then I guess couldn't we -- Source: Pre-amp: Amp 1 (Speaker Pair 1): [TAPE OUT] Amp 2 (Speakers A+B) -- and let the Pre-amp be used for volume control?
  4. J

I'm just curious. I've seen listening rooms which feature the use of multiple acoustically matched speakers run in stereo to reproduce the same source. For example (http://www.mediamulch.com/images/Audiofile/Hi-Fi%20set/before2.jpg) TLCW's setup advice makes sense in this case. I'll have to...
  5. J

All at once. Could you present an example receiver that could perform the function you've mentioned?
  6. J

I'm considering driving a pair of Infinity Column II's, Polk Monitor 5's, and Polk Monitor 5 JRs from a 2 channel source. What type of gear would be recommended for such a purpose?
  7. J

Heard Bose 901 VI speakers and really like them ! Any 901 fans ?

I don't think we should pull the 901's out of the category of "interesting", but there certainly exists other types of speakers that can do the 901's job better. There are other omnidirectional speakers available --one well known in particular is the Ohm Walsh. When people critique Bose, the...
  8. J

What is the opposite of audiophile?

I've been skimming this thread and I'm liking a lot of the responses. Honestly, I don't really thing this lack of acknowledgement just applies to the field of audio but, frankly, across the board in terms of necessity. This newer generation (my generation --I should say, since I am 17 years...
  9. J

Your Speakers and Your Wife

As I've browsed the net, I always seem to run into tales about one's significant other having an impact on their equipment choices. I'm curious if anyone has some stories they'd like to share. :D
  10. J

Heard Bose 901 VI speakers and really like them ! Any 901 fans ?

:lmao:Sorry, I had to. Good stuff, Dee. That one had me in tears! All immaturity and considerate evaluation of Bose's absurd market techniques aside, I'm actually curious to sample a pair of 901's. The only times I've really stopped to pay attention to Bose speakers was when I owned a pair of...
  11. J

Column II questions

Thank you very VERY much. :3
  12. J

Column II questions

rafjr, I don't mean to hi-jack your thread, but would it be possible if you could describe/post a picture of how your top woofers are wired? I'm having an issue with that at the moment. Can't tell positive from negative and I think my drivers have been tampered with at one time.
  13. J

Column II wiring questions

Duplicate thread due to laggy net. Sorry.
  14. J

Column II wiring questions

I feel like a bit of an idiot asking, but I previously refoamed the top woofer of one of my Column's and I neglected to note the wiring information. I assumed the marking on the top woofer's prong denoted negative, and wired it as such, but the unfoamed Column's top woofer shows the opposite...
  15. J

Is the speakers or the audio?

Can someone please give Autumn Fantasy (A.E.R Mashup Mix) TOOL - Vicarious Enigma - Out From the Deep -- a listen and tell me I'm not insane? I just broke out an old dusty receiver and another set of speaker wire and I hear the same crackle coming from both types of speakers. It's extremely...
  16. J

I guess tomorrow I'll take both unfoamed woofers out of the other speaker cabinet and give the other piezo and midrange a listen. It might simply just be my receiver. I have noticed that, since a couple months ago, there's a very faint hiss when I plug in my speakers.
  17. J

Just broke out an old disc changer and popped in Enigma's Cross of Changes. I compared a quickly d/l'd 128kbps copy of the song Out From the Deep to the one on the album. Of course the 128kbps sounds dull, but I'm hearing this same edging cracking on the album version. It's prominent on the...
  18. J

So over the past two months I've been restoring this beautiful pair of Infinity Column II's. I've just finished fully refoaming one and I've been listening to just it for the past week. Before I get to my question, I must first say that they're absolutely wonderful, amazing speakers (and I mean...
  19. J

Column II Score! AMAZING condition!

Had my friend bring over her camera and she took some pictures. :D I'll post more as I refoam/polish them up. The cabinets and the covers look great, and I'm also keeping the manuals for collector's sake.
  20. J

Thanks for the advice! I'll be using the 18hz method as you described. The tip you mentioned with gluing the foam on the cone first and then the rim was really useful! :yes:
  21. J

I have NCH Tone generator and I can pump them with 18hz. I'm curious, though, is my woofer supposed to wave at that frequency, or should it stand straight up? Tested it on another pair of speakers and the woofers are stiff but they wave slightly.
  22. J

Yesterday, I received a pair of Column II's and I'm completely blown away. I guess I can say this is my first "real audiophile speaker" :yes: When I saw these on Craigslist for $70 I had to get them! Aside from the rotted foam on the four 10" woofers, they're almost mint! Everything from the...
  23. J

What Cables Are These?/Questions

I thought so, which is why I don't use them. What type of hardware would I be able to use to mix two sources --that isn't industrial or insanely expensive? The problem is that if I use my PC is a virtual mixer, it takes the 5.1 encode and mixes it as stereo for my receiver to decode, and I don't...
  24. J

What Cables Are These?/Questions

I have a pair of these laying around and I don't know what they're called. They seem to be kind of RCA "hermaphrodite" and the other end of the cable is speaker (green jack) female. I also have a question. Say if I had a 5.1 encode coming from one source, and a 2.1 coming from another. If I...
Back
Top Bottom