Search results

1. O

Sansui TOTL Speakers SP-5000 and SP-5500 Side By Side?

Thanks for the help from you guys. Quick follow-up to my prior posts. After changing all the caps on the SP-5000's they do sound much more open, clear and for lack of a better term "wider". I had to adjust the EQ settings for the highs down quite a bit and the speakers are very sensitive...
  2. O

Thanks Roboneal -- I opened cabinet again to get info on caps and found that the problem was the little metal tab on the back side contactor for the tweeter adjustment switch was not making good contact with the rotating "rail" to maintain continuity. Tried gently bending the tab back down but...
  3. O

Wow-Got to love the internet when you can find a discussion thread on one style of 40+ yr old speakers. I guess I'm not the only one who enjoys the older ones. Anyhow, I have a question for the experts as I have a pair of SP-5000's that seem to "toggle" on and off the tweeters at low volume...
  4. O

Sick Onkyo A-7 Amp

1. Yes, I own a multi-meter, but I'm not familiar with the term "off-set" or how to measure it. 2. The hum/buzz seems to remain about the same and does not increase as the volume is turned up. In fact, at low volume the music is enough louder than the hum/buzz that you don't really...
  5. O

Sick Onkyo A-7 Amp

Thanks for all the suggestions! This evening I loosened and re-tightened the connections on top of the big caps. I also loosened and re-tightened the screws on the copper/brass plates holding down the larger circuit board in the middle (I'm guessing that this must be part of the grounding...
  6. O

Sick Onkyo A-7 Amp

?Coffee can filter caps? Non-techie here, sorry for my ignorance. No, I wouldn't know what a bad capacitor looks like so I would definitely appreciate the basic description, but from what I can see, there appear to be two large capacitors (approximately 2 inch diameter and about 3 inches...
  7. O

Sick Onkyo A-7 Amp

Wow, thanks for the quick response. Unfortunately, the problem is on both channels. I'm not a qualified electronics tech, but i did wiggle all of the wires inside the unit that I could touch with a screwdriver (careful not to touch any connections or components). Unfortunately, the...
  8. O

Sick Onkyo A-7 Amp

I have enjoyed listening to my Onkyo A-7 amp for over 30 years now. But, it now has problems. When turned on the amp has a fairly loud hum/buzz even when the volume knob is all the way off. When the volume is turned up just a little the sound is normal except for the buzzing. Turned up...
Back
Top Bottom