Search results

1. pognoot

Sourced the crossover parts for HPM-100's

My recommendation is to build all new crossovers using the MV Audio Lab design. It makes a big difference
  2. pognoot

HPM-100 Top End

The HPM-100s pushed upper mids and rolled off highs are well documented here on AK. Find the posts from Ziltch, there are many.
  3. pognoot

HPM 150 Crossover Upgrade

Mark, I built this design. Very impressive. https://www.mvaudiolabs.com/speakers/untamed-vintage-pioneer-hpm-100/ A quick audio demo afterwards:
  4. pognoot

HPM 150 Crossover Upgrade

@markthefixer, nice find on that post! I still have that exact system, but with an SX-1980 running the show. I have a set of first gen SDA SRS on the B channel. I also replaced the HPM-100 crossover with an all new design. That was a fun project to work on.
  5. pognoot

Pioneer HPM-100 with New Crossovers Audio Demo

Check out this demo of the HPM-100s with the MV Audio Lab crossovers installed. Sounds pretty darn good to me.
  6. pognoot

SX-1980 Phono Issue on L channel only

OK. Time to break out the soldering iron.
  7. pognoot

Hi Mark, I thoroughly cleaned both the rear jack and the plug off the PL-560. No difference. I noticed when I remove the plug and put it back in, it takes between 15-20 seconds for the excess treble to pop back in. Once it, it pretty much stays that way, although sometimes it goes back out...
  8. pognoot

Hi Mark, Yes, left channel cable meaning when I disconnect the left channel of my PL-560 from the SX-1980 and then plug it back in, the treble is normal again. Phono 1. You're saying to clean the Phono 1 input selector button and the Phono 1 cartridge load attenuators?
  9. pognoot

For some reason while playing records, the treble response on the L channel only gets extremely bright. When I unplug the L channel cable in the rear of the unit and then plug it back in, the issue goes away and the treble balance between the L and R is back to normal...for a short while. Then...
  10. pognoot

New 9/11 Tribute Song - best I've heard

I stumbled upon this 9/11 tribute song from a reddit board on music theory. They were talking about how the drummer plays a really cool groove. Anyway, I have to say.. this is the most impressive 9/11 tribute song I've heard. The ending makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up...
  11. pognoot

Klipsch, love em or hate em?

To my ears, old Klipsch is not nearly as good as modern Klipsch.
  12. pognoot

Pioneer HPM 100 200w 900 Mid Mod correct polarity

https://www.mvaudiolabs.com/speakers/untamed-vintage-pioneer-hpm-100/
  13. pognoot

Pioneer HPM-100 expert needed

I am surprised so many HPM-100 owners here on AK don't know about this. There is a guy who painstakingly measured the woofer/midrange/tweeter performance, cabinet tuning, and designed from scratch an all-new HPM-100 crossover. His goal was to fix the inherent issues and limitations of the stock...
  14. pognoot

Vinyl has really gone downhill

I've gone full circle on vinyl. I got into the whole vinyl revitalization thing a while back, but at the end of the day, I came back to digital for all the reasons that made the format popular to begin with.
  15. pognoot

Modern Speakers vs Vintage?

I love the idea of using modern technology to design all new crossovers for vintage 70s speakers. New crossovers that replace some of the 70s era primitive designs rife with phase issues, overly bright voicing, etc.
  16. pognoot

JBL L110 Recap

I used Daytons to recap my L110s. My experience is that I thought it smoothened things out and they sounded a tad more refined. Not an enormous difference, but it was worth the effort.
  17. pognoot

Andrew Robinson SX-780 Review

Oops, sorry for the dup thread. Andrew was in love with it. My only thought was that Andrew must listen to and evaluate equipment at lower volumes. Which if that is the case, is good actually. I just know I prefer the higher wattage receivers in the lineup because I like to listen loud. Not...
  18. pognoot

Andrew Robinson SX-780 Review

Mr. Robinson's review of a fully restored and modded Pioneer SX-780: Here's the biz that did the restoration work: Pretty slick.
  19. pognoot

HPM-100 Tweeters (A Long Journey)

Here you go: https://www.mvaudiolabs.com/speakers/untamed-vintage-pioneer-hpm-100/
  20. pognoot

Spotify Basic vs Vinyl

I agree with this. When it comes to digital media, I still haven't heard anything that sounds better than a good ole fashioned CD. And to my 47 year old ears, I still prefer CDs over vinyl.
  21. pognoot

Realistic Mach Two advise

Count me in an unimpressed prior MK2 owner. My impressions are pretty much in line with what others thought. For a big 15" woofer, the bass response was abysmal. Very boomy with not much going on below 60Hz. I tried adding insulation to lower the port tuning frequency, but that didn't help...
  22. pognoot

jbl l110 recap question

For what it's worth, I recapped my L110s with Daytons. I was very pleased with the results.
  23. pognoot

Just how bad are cheap aftermarket woofers?

As a standalone product, I would suggest modern "cheap" woofers are actually well made and well engineered devices, surpassing the performance of many of the woofers of yesteryear. Dayton Audio, Pyle, Goldwood, etc all make excellent products at very reasonable prices. They may not be the...
  24. pognoot

Andrew Jones- Infinity Compositions/Pioneer BS-22's

I had Overture 3s. They were great speakers. They threw a nice open sound stage. I liked them quite a bit, but I got tired of the powered amp sections and having to plug them in anywhere I wanted to move them, so I moved on. But sonically they were very good.
  25. pognoot

Infinity Overture 1s, anyone?

I sold Overture 1s back in my SoundTrack days (1996-1999). They sounded nice but the woofers were easy to bottom out if you have the amp level too high. Just have to set them right and try not to push the woofer too hard trying to get more bass out of those small enclosures.
Back
Top Bottom