Search results

1. andrewto

Denon AVR-3600 multichannel analog input?

(not sure if this is considered "vintage", if not feel free to move to appropriate forum) I'm in the process of starting a thread about the 5.0 system I just got for free, but I have a quick question while I'm setting everything up: The receiver is a Denon AVR-3600 and I want to use my DVD/SACD...
  2. andrewto

Detroit area components supplier

Haven't seen this asked before--is there anywhere around here that has a decent selection of components, caps, resistors, etc? I'm starting to restore and build guitar/organ amps and I've been ordering my Orange Drops/Mallorys online, but it would be easier/save on shipping to drive to the...
  3. andrewto

Buying a tube tester--necessary?

I've now read that you can test for shorts with an ohmmeter--this will at least guarantee that the tube won't blow anything, right? I looked up the filament pins and tested these tubes and I got a reading on all of them. I guess the main reason I was thinking about getting a tube tester was just...
  4. andrewto

Buying a tube tester--necessary?

I just got a Hammond model A organ (predecessor of the famous B3) built in 1935, with 2 matching tone cabinets (a Leslie is to come). The power amps use a quad of 2A3s each and I'd like to test them before starting the organ; my guess is they were last used sometime in the '40s or '50s. There...
  5. andrewto

Solution for musical theatre volume trouble?

Thanks guys. Yeah, putting the volume pedal between the amp and speaker sounds like it will definitely fry something... I'll probably try putting it in the fx loop. I actually managed OK without it; I just had to adjust the volume on the amp a few times during the show, and mostly control the...
  6. andrewto

Metro Detroit shops that stock headphones

Yeah, I'm definitely going to try and support him, especially since the price was exactly the same as Amazon's! Now let's hope he doesn't crack up when I bring my '80s Realistic turntable in... :stupid:
  7. andrewto

I just picked up the SR60i from Audio Dimensions (exact same price as online!). Harry is a cool guy--we were talking for awhile about chamber music concerts in the area. I wasn't sure what to expect going in there (my first time going to a high-end shop), but I didn't feel looked down on because...
  8. andrewto

Hi guys, are there any places around here that have headphones you can try out? I'm shopping for my birthday gift, and I was going to try Almas and Audio Dimensions and see if they have any. Any other recommendations? I'd like to compare the Grado SR60 and 80 with some other brands in the...
  9. andrewto

Are you sure that's safe? Isn't that where an attenuator would usually go?
  10. andrewto

Are you thinking to put this in the effects loop? I'm considering that, but I'm not sure if I'll lose some of my distortion if I turn the volume pedal down. Do you think it would act like a master volume? I assume you mean using a single-channel amp? My amp has a clean and dirty...
  11. andrewto

I play a lot of local theatre gigs, mostly on cello, but sometimes on guitar. I use my Blackstar HT5 with a higher-gain preamp tube for more clean headroom and it works great. When I crank the clean channel and set the gain channel to match, it's the perfect volume to play with a medium-loudness...
  12. andrewto

BBC World Service auctioning all their gear

I haven't had time to post here lately, but I figured you guys might want to see this. The BBC World Service is moving and auctioning all of their stuff. Here's a story about it and here's a link to the auctions. Lots of turntables, amps, tape machines, monitors (Technics SL, Studer, Revox)...
  13. andrewto

My newest instrument(s)!

Yes, you're right--it's a harpsichord! Single-manual Flemish design with 2 8' choirs of strings, built from a Burton kit. And also one of the reasons I haven't been on AK for awhile. The guys I bought it from got it from the estate sale of a professor at a local art school, who built it from a...
  14. andrewto

My latest tube guitar amp

Sweet! Some sound clips would be awesome as I've never heard of anything like that before...
  15. andrewto

Binding post to 1/4" adapter?

Sounds like my kind of solution! Excellent! Thanks! But just so I know--you can use a banana plug in a binding post??
  16. andrewto

What strings do you use on your steel string acoustics???

Glad you picked the Elixirs! I've had a set on my guitar for more than a year now and they haven't gone dead yet!
  17. andrewto

Binding post to 1/4" adapter?

Incredibly, within the last week I've happened upon a free pair of stage monitors and a free mixer, which is a great start to a PA system for my basement jam room. Now I just need an amp (mixer is unpowered) and main speakers. I found a PA amp on craigslist for a good price, but it has binding...
  18. andrewto

your fav bass amp

Nice! I bet it sounds amazing.
  19. andrewto

SACD/DVD-A player for <$100

You know what... I never thought of that! I have all my cds ripped to FLAC on my computer, and that's my main listening system (going via ASIO through the DAC in my Presonus Firestudio Project to my receiver... integrated's in the hospital...) . I got the Onkyo mainly for the SACD layer. I have...
  20. andrewto

SACD/DVD-A player for <$100

I actually haven't really done a lot of redbook listening on it yet, because you have to select the layer using remote w/tv, and the tv is in the other room... although I suppose I could just memorize/write down the menu steps and do it without the tv. I'll get back to you once I figure that out lol
  21. andrewto

jhoyt's decluttered and simplified audio setup

:yes: No George Winston though?
  22. andrewto

Koss ESP-9 Electrostatic Headphones

Figured this thread was going on for 3 years, why not coax a little more life out of it... I just got a pair of ESP.9s for a steal. They (obviously) blow my Yamaha Rh-5MAs away--incredibly open, detailed, and accurate. First thing I did was listen to them in self-energizing mode, as the box...
  23. andrewto

Koss Pro/4aa replacement headband?

I was just browsing their site--didn't know they had their own record label!
  24. andrewto

Koss Pro/4aa replacement headband?

Cool. I guess I'll send them an email. Are they fixing yours for free?
Back
Top Bottom