Search results

1. stevepe

Scored a Concept 11.0 today. Has some issues.

I wish I had something to offer in the way of help with this. As you can see if you've read up on my saga, Jon Logan swooped in out of nowhere with step by step help and I was just a good direction follower. I sure replaced a lot of transistors...
  2. stevepe

Jensen Speakers ID please

Nothing else inside. There is the long walnut console and a separate matching small cabinet for the second speaker. Console is partly busted. Kind of a booze cabinet on the left. Helps the sound, as we know. Steve
  3. stevepe

Jensen Speakers ID please

I'm wondering if these are worth picking up at the thrift. Are they SG-223's? They are in a big console with the backs still on- with a lot of slot wood screws.The controls are there. Thanks, Steve
  4. stevepe

FM stereo mode cuts out- mono is fine Luxman R-117

It seems to have gotten so much worse lately, is the thing. The cutting out was kind of a rare thing six months ago. The condition is complete silence and bitchen FMstereo sound alternating. I'm moving to Davis real soon. (not for the reception!) Might do better up there than you did down in...
  5. stevepe

FM stereo mode cuts out- mono is fine Luxman R-117

I'm thinking I may have been wrong to think it's just the reception on the one or two stations I listen too. I just went up the dial, and Uh-oh. It sounds great in FM stereo mode, but is completely cutting out more and more and does it on every single station. It doesn't do it at all with the...
  6. stevepe

Best amp for Mcintosh XR7s?

I'm enjoying listening to some XR5's powered with a Luxman R-117, which has 160w. If you want a receiver, this may work for you. Recapping the XR5's made a big difference. I compared before and after, and the un-recapped speaker sounded wooly. The base sounds pretty good to me without...
  7. stevepe

Luxman R-117 Usage questions, appreciation, etc.

Alright then. I'll have a good look for bad glue when inside. I'm reading about recapping bringing out the real potential of these. Holy cow! I already don't want to rotate it out of the prime spot- but I will. I might have some more 'electronics time' coming up soon. Thanks! Steve
  8. stevepe

I think I'd call the creak mechanical. It's not shrill at all. It could be called a dry even 'quack', and with the lid on it seems to come from behind the switch. It's absolutely consistent. I've been wondering if it had to do with some mechanism relating to remote control. I removed the...
  9. stevepe

I've been listening to this receiver for a while now and really enjoying it, especially how it performs with CDs. I've never enjoyed CD's more. And the tuner definitely surpasses anything I've ever had in the house as well. I'm listening with some McIntosh XR5's I've fixed up. What about a...
  10. stevepe

Is this the wrong resistor installed on my new CR-1020?

Congratulations!
  11. stevepe

Philips 212 at GW today!

It was my first TT bought brand new in college. My Dad is using a 312 I found recently. I enjoyed the hell out of mine. I prefer the green switches on the 212.
  12. stevepe

Harmon Kardon 330B

I'll need to get mine off eventually, too. I haven't tried yet, but I found this one entry in this thread: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=321581 The thread is about an HK730, but this is in there: "If it's like my 330b, the knobs pull off, then the face frame...
  13. stevepe

What receiver/amp did you buy for $10 or under?

Some strictly prohibit it, some frown upon it, some don't, some sell it cheap to whoever wants it, some site workers take for themselves and their 'contacts'. It depends on what the culture is at a given site, and this can change with time. Just ask if you can take any electronic stuff. Or...
  14. stevepe

ServiceBulletinMods

I found that there is more room to use bigger heat sinks when new smaller caps are installed on that board. I found something appropriate at my local electronics supply. I was disappointed with RS's retail store. With stuff like this, were size matters, I don't trust my ability to choose the...
  15. stevepe

This Luxman R-117's features are over my head

Yes. Disgusting. I know what you paid for yours. :yes:
  16. stevepe

:banana::banana::banana::music: That's all it was! The signal processor was on. I switched it off, like any good tech would. It was on the back cover BTW, not under the hood like I thought. Easily seen in the second photo. I was messing around back there straightening out some pushed in...
  17. stevepe

It wasn't what Putterman said, but thanks. It easily could have been. I'll look inside again. I noticed that switch when dusting. It might have been on, actually. It's a ways away at my shop. I'll walk back down. Thanks
  18. stevepe

Thanks. That's saying a lot. I feel kind of funny saying "I like the sound", even. Please... Very lucky find.
  19. stevepe

I found this receiver at the Goodwill yesterday and remembered all the regard on AK. Walked that 30lb thoroughly ventilated black box right to the check out and into my girlfriend's trunk. She has no idea. Transferred to my car's trunk later on at my house. I don't get some of her priorities...
  20. stevepe

I mistook this post for another one a while back. Sorry. If you are replacing the fusistor shown in the photograph at the beginning, it is supposed to be a 10 ohm. The one I found in there was wrong. There are some other 10 ohm resistors shown in 4seat pilot's photo, and they take more...
  21. stevepe

I used a metal film. I think this is standard procedure. IIRC, it was 68ohm 1/2watt. You won't find a fusistor like the original, and you don't want one. Steve
  22. stevepe

R-300 breakdown fron shorted speaker wires

Some specifics to compliment Avionic's account of the principles: I found speaker wires with an inch and a half of insulation stripped off and bare copper laying across bare copper. :eek: The system was played like this for three years, and then somebody must have moved the speaker slightly...
  23. stevepe

Concept 11.0 Lot's done, still in protection

Here are a few you might like. Isn't this receiver famous for being much better looking on the inside? The build quality really made an impression on me, and factors in to my devotion. It's an easy to work on design for a beginner- ECB labeling on the boards, even. But it's precious enough...
  24. stevepe

The other side is adjusted. It's still up on blocks just so I can watch the reading go up and down from a cold start this morning with the lid on. A parting shot seems appropriate. Here it is when I first brought the poor thing home in the station wagon. The long saga can be viewed in the AK...
  25. stevepe

Well, I am pleased with how that went. When I started adjusting it was 0.2mv, but it made it to 15mv with room to spare. It's pretty far along the wiper, though. It started behaving kind of exponentially, which was what I hoped, (and it needed to do to get there), and your caution was a clue...
Back
Top Bottom