Search results

1. R

NAD C541 Tray Problem Repaired

How funny is this? I'd completely forgotten about this thread and yesterday I found Bart's youtube video on the repair! I only dug this thread up because I wanted to post the link :D (the commentary is Dutch only but you can see where all the components are)...
  2. R

Cassete tape what to buy?

Side note on cassettes: Totalmedia still has new type II tape under the Olympus brand name. Supposedly the tape is manufactured in Korea by Saehan (Samsung) and the cassettes are quite good. There seems to have one bad batch but TM replaced it without any fuss. Unfortunately they don't ship to...
  3. R

Full-range speakers - What to do?

I'm not really into full-range speakers and I need an extra pair of speakers like a hole in my head. I do think it would be fun to build a small set of vintage-looking bookshelves one day and the cab size looks about right for a nice 2-way system with 6" woofer. I'd definitely turn them into...
  4. R

Selection of lubricant for the capstan sleeve bearing

The chainsaw oil (for the chain, not for the engine) was strongly recommended as a replacement for the original DUAL lubricant by very knowledgeable people from Germany, so that's what I use for this specific purpose. I do have the SM for the 4504 and will have a look at the recommendations there.
  5. R

Full-range speakers - What to do?

I recently found a pair of cheap full-range speakers I don't know anything about. The cabinets are 8 mm (slightly less than 3/8") plywood with real wood veneer. Backs are 1/8" particle board with vent holes. One unknown no-name 4Ω FR driver in each cabinet. Sound is HORRIBLE. Now I'm wondering...
  6. R

What are you listening to?

A late-1960s tape playing backwards :D The original recordings are 1/2-track mono and I erased track 1 on side 2 using a 1/4-track mono recorder when I was a kid. Now the tape is decaying quickly and I want to save the recordings. Since I don't have an acceptable 1/2-track player I use my...
  7. R

Automatic Vs Manual Cassette Recording

I recently bought a Pioneer CT-W606DR for 30 Euros and absolutely love it! It's one of the very few TOTL dual-well decks with all the bells and whistles except it's a 2-header. I doubt I could have gotten anything better in that price range and it does everything I want. Even on rather humble...
  8. R

Philips N4520 or N4522

MagnoControl and dynamic braking are two different things. MagnoControl was just Philips' fancy term for the solenoid-operated logic control system. I love my N4504, partly because it has so few mechanical parts that can fail. Spares for discrete electronics will probably be available for at...
  9. R

Selection of lubricant for the capstan sleeve bearing

You mean like sewing machine oil? I'll have to relube my Philips N4504 soon I think so I'm already collecting ideas. For TT platter axles I've been advised to use chainsaw oil as it's designed to stick to vertical surfaces.
  10. R

My first reel to reel was........

First one was a Motek Robuk MK II from the UK but that was broken (probaby - I still wonder whether we got the mains connection right not knowing the old UK wire colours) around 1992. First working unit was a Philips 4308 from 1969 some time later. I still have that one but it needs all new...
  11. R

Any way to fix a bad pot?

Actually it isn't, or at least there are two parallel systems. We do have the B/HB/... system but we also have 1 (extra soft) to 4 (extra hard). I think 2 equals HB.
  12. R

Tape repair

I was told you CAN iron magnetic tape, but obviously at very low temps. I'd also be tempted to put the tape between sheets of paper instead of letting it touch the iron or table/other surface.
  13. R

Found new high bias cassette tapes being sold

These Polaroids actually come from Totalmedia. According to them, the tape is current Korean stock (Saehan/Samsung) and the shells are US-made Lenco.
  14. R

Strange 4-pin Molex plug

I think some people cannibalise old AT mainboard power supplies. The connectors for the board itself (I think that was P8 and P9) had rectangular terminals. You'd have to tear the plug apart and cover each terminal with heat shrink tubing individually. These plugs were some custom or old design...
  15. R

Rips & Tears in Paper cones - How to fix 'em?

Yup, can't beat freeware! I haven't recorded longer files for ages, my brother complained about crashes during recording a while ago but that was with a fairly old version on an old G3 ("smurf"). Editing is quite easy once you get the hang of it.
  16. R

I use Audacity, started out using it way back when I still had OS X 10.4 on an iBook G4. It's mainly a recording and editing software but can be used for all other sorts of fun. I've even used its frequency generator for makeshift hearing tests. Unfortunately I don't have any way of finding out...
  17. R

Why does some speaker wire come tinned?

Tinning is also used for rubber-sheathed wire because the sulfur used in the manufacturing process (vulcanisation) would eat the copper away. Many people mistake tinned copper for aluminium because both look silvery.
  18. R

I actually used the other kind of tissue paper, and only one ply too. Worked perfectly! The cone (Peerless mid) had two tears, each over an inch long and I couldn't get to the cone from behind, so all I could do was apply paper from the front. I used diluted white glue (PVA wood glue) and...
  19. R

Speaker Idiots

Add antique to that mix. I keep seeing people who try to sell ca. 1980 door knob sets as "antique", sometimes even in the "manufactured before 1960" category. Last month I bought a nice old Toshiba component stereo (amp, tuner, tape EQ, tape deck) that came with a set of borderline white-van...
  20. R

3 Inch Reel speed ?

Could even be 15/16.
  21. R

BEWARE of What Can Be Found in a Ported Speaker or The Horror of Cerwin Vega AT-12!

Definitely less bad than dead animals! I vaguely remember finding a used condom behind/underneath the sink cabinet in a friend's apartment when we installed a dishwasher. The sink cabinet didn't have a back wall, so occasionally garbage missed the bin and slipped down through the gap between...
  22. R

Fisher CC-7000 Hum&Hiss

Yep, I'm in Europe (230V/50Hz), that's why I immediately guessed that. I had a Technics SU-7300K running in the same room yesterday and it was dead silent, but checking with a battery-powered radio couldn't harm!
  23. R

Technics M235X belt replacement

My rubber band lasted through the entire test run (which wasn't all that long) but was completely stiff and cracked when I wanted to put the real belts on. Thanks for looking at the screws! I definitely hope I can fix my deck! BTW, I'm green with envy that you got the silver version! Looks...
  24. R

Fisher CC-7000 Hum&Hiss

Paying more attention to my system, I recently discovered that my Fisher CC-7000 (part of my beloved System 7000 setup) has some annoying 100 Hz hum and hiss with no source connected. It's not too bad, but noticeable if you're close to the speakers with the volume knob set to around 12 out of...
  25. R

Technics M235X belt replacement

IIRC replacing the changing belt requires removing both motors and then carefully sliding the belt into place, threading it through the various parts of the transport. The belt is quite well-hidden inside the mechanism. Might not even have noticed it if I hadn't caught a glimpse of something...
Back
Top Bottom