Search results

1. Number 9

C40 - Monitor Amplifier/Headphone Jack

The 42 and C46 no longer had the monitoring amp built-in. The C40 was the last model with this feature (Not to mention a variable loudness control and expander/compander feature.) That does not mean Mac went cheap ... However, my C712's headphone jack is driven by an op-amp. Its descent but...
  2. Number 9

C40 - Monitor Amplifier/Headphone Jack

I'm curious if anyone knows whether the C40 is similar to the C32, 33 and C34, whereby the headphone jack output is routed from the 20W monitoring amp output (with a resistor in between so as not to blow-up your cans)? Have not been able to find a schematic for the C40 which would confirm this.
  3. Number 9

C712 or C15 for my system?

Like all my previous McIntosh gear, my C712 works flawlessly. :thmbsp: Full size headphone jack, in addition to the balanced out, variable loudness control, and remote ... what more can ask. Decent phono. They sell for ridiculously cheap given what you get these days for $800 or so new.
  4. Number 9

From C33/34V to C40 -> What changed?

The C33, C34 and C40 all seem to be cut from the same cloth, some minor changes along the way, but nothing major. Seen as a "generation" or series of a preamp philosophy, quite a longevity from approximately 1981 to 1998. I'm curious to know more about the last iteration of this generation...
  5. Number 9

kLIPSCH CORNWALLS AND HIGH POWER MCINTOSH AMPS?

Nice! :thmbsp:
  6. Number 9

Why change the caps? PWK believed a part was a part as long as it matched specs, and he let the accounting department not his ears buy the caps for his speakers. E.g Lowest cost supplier. You can go way, way better with modern caps. I'm using Mundorfs in my Forte II, and can heat a difference...
  7. Number 9

Rats, my link to the green felt pen is disabled. Forgot the policy here of linking to commercial links. Considerable controversy on the Cornwall ALK xover. There is a fellow on the Klipsch forums who can build them for you and has the support of ALK himself. Some like it, some don't. To each...
  8. Number 9

Green pens. Indispensable audiophile tweak. http://www.elusivedisc.com/prodinfo.asp?number=AP-CDSL Don't get me started on Armor All ... you're probably too young to remember that fiasco. Audiophiles mus tbe the most insecure people in the world. Anyways ... Among the "vintage" McIntosh...
  9. Number 9

Getting back to the original question ... Personal experience: I once owned the Cornwalls (circa 1979 production) and had them mated to a Bryston 100-watt amplifier at the time (I was a younger lad and could not afford Mac). If you play your music loud, which you will be tempted to do with...
  10. Number 9

Whatsup with monitoring amp in C33, C34V and C40

Kind of thought so. I looked at the schematic too and that's what seems to be going on. There is a path to the output taps with a sideways to the headphone output with a big resistor in between. Thanks for the insight.
  11. Number 9

Whatsup with monitoring amp in C33, C34V and C40

Some clarification please by those of you who may own one of these ... The headphone circuit in these preamps seems to run off the 20W monitoring amp circuit (at least it seems to when looking at the old brochures and service manuals). Does this mean that you can listen to one or the...
  12. Number 9

MR-78 Tuner - Need some support guys!

Reviewed and commented on extensively here as well as the adjoining Yahoo discussion group. http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/ Net Net: One of the best for DX. As for sound, good but you can do better for less money. However, many people buy these for the love of the built-like-a-tank engineering...
  13. Number 9

Added an MA 6200. Wow!

The only downside to the 6200 may be its phono stage. Now I see a lot of people here saying how they like their phono/vinyl on the 6200, 33 and 34 ... which is fine ... but, its a real "old school" design E.g active RIAA with lots of negtive feedback. This created an excellent S/N ratio, but...
  14. Number 9

Added an MA 6200. Wow!

I used to own a 6200 and sometimes regret having let it go (still own and use a C712 preamp). They really got it right with the model. Of course there is better, but I see 6200s going for as little as $700 some places, which really is a steal for this mighty fine amp.
  15. Number 9

thoughts on MCD-7000 CD Player

Any of the new, currently available Mac CDPs that you can afford are recommendable. The issue with McIntosh, is that for the longest time, they only had 1 or perhaps 2 CDPs in their lineup. Thus not common, and when one of the used older models shows up on Agon they command a premium because...
  16. Number 9

Which is why I've kept my 7005! However, the 7000 in question uses the earlier, far more inferior 1540. The Philips chips in demand are the ones based on the 1541A S2 which only was used in a rare few players - even then. McIntosh never used an S1 or S2 in the 7007 which uses the 1541A...
  17. Number 9

They appear on eBay for cheap. http://www.marantzphilips.nl/index.asp?strBrand=Various&strType=evolutionMarantzDAC&strPage=Info The MCD-7000 uses a TDA1540 wheras the 7005 a TDA1541 and the 7007 a TDA1541A Philips DAC chip. Its not only the DAC that matters: Post D/A filtering, I/V...
  18. Number 9

Let's not digress in that direction. Really, the 7000 is nearly a 25 year old CDP now. It's no more than a first-generation CD Player based on Philips technology and chipsets wrapped around a nice Mac designed box. No voodoo, no state of the art design or nifty innovations. A circa 1985...
  19. Number 9

Byang ... I don't want to put you down, but here is my honest opinion: You are being silly. If you are going to be investing your hard-earned money in hifi-gear, perhaps you should educate yourself about the technology (at least a little bit) rather than putting your faith in wishful thinking...
  20. Number 9

LOL ... I'm sorry I'm coming into this late. But you should know that the 7000 is a real first generation player ... e.g. 14-bit not even full 16-bit resolution. Its what you hear that counts ultimately (BTW, I still own a 7005 which is the first 16-bit model Mc introduced). But just want to...
  21. Number 9

Done Loading The MS750

Some genius one day is going to invent some way to do this in less than an hour, and they will make a mint! The thought of ripping the approximately 1300 CDs in my collection is daunting, if I were ever to do that.
  22. Number 9

What are the benefits of using a record weight?

Are those weights custom made or are the a commercial brand?
  23. Number 9

Marantz 8B or 9 reissue vs McIntosh tube amps

The 9s are almost unobtanium and cost way more, so the debate may be moot.
  24. Number 9

Headphones for 6900?

Regarding the headphone jacks on Mc gear ... I think it depends on the model of amp and the impedance of phones used. I had a 6200 integrated which had 2 x 1/4" headphone jacks, and the quality made me sell off my headphone amp... it was that good. The 6200 used a discreet circuit (no...
  25. Number 9

Headphones for 6900?

Sorry about the commercial link. Here is the information on the ATH-W5000 cans on the Audio-Technica website. http://www.audio-technica.com.sg/products/headphones/ath-w5000 I find AT combines some of the best attribues of AKG, Senn and Grado.
Back
Top Bottom