Search results

1. drspiff

I said it would be different this time

:thmbsp::thmbsp::thmbsp:
  2. drspiff

Instant Blues Brother-But what is it?

Start with low power, you can always go higher if you need to. If you start with too much and blow up the speaker, there is no going back. Just a thought
  3. drspiff

All to get the wifes approval factor!

I think the phrase I used "Why do you have so many pair of black shoes?" And then the fight started... If you value your marriage or life DO NOT ask this question.
  4. drspiff

what a broken wooger magnet can look like

nah... I gave up on racooning after doing a pair of Fisher XP-66KC speakers. They had no bass at all after I "did my magic racooning".
  5. drspiff

what a broken wooger magnet can look like

I was in the process of recapping a pair of Fisher 102 2-way speakers. Mostly because I had the parts on hand and it needed to be done. The first one went well, replaced the 4uF cap, resealed the surround of the 8" woofer, and resealed it in the cab. It actually sounds ok. When I popped the...
  6. drspiff

Opinion time: What is your favorite small receiver of all time, and why?

I got sucked into old audio gear because of the sound of a Fisher 200 that I found at a thrift store. And along the way I found the Sherwood S-7100A which is, for me, one of the best little receivers. Sweet, warm, comfortable listening.
  7. drspiff

Recapping is a must! KLH 5s are now singing

I'm sceptical about most claims about improving system sound. Remember the green pen for improving CDs when they first came out? Or all the heat and noise about the best speaker wire? Well, I kinda felt the same way about speaker recapping. Figured I'd give it a try on a pair of Minimus 7s...
  8. drspiff

New DIY speaker cabinets

Look for a finish/stain called Mission Oak or Craftsman Oak or Fumed Oak. Back in the day, the makers of "Craftsman" furniture first added color to their pieces by putting the furniture piece in a tent with very strong ammonia. The result was a very dark oak finish that was very attractive and...
  9. drspiff

Today's GW Score-"Angelica's"-Audio/Planner speakers-WOW! One-off Prototypes?

Finding the origin of these speakers could turn into a "life quest". Good luck to you in the search. Another source of info might be the Library of Congress. They keep copies of all kinds of publications including instruction booklets. Also check with the state. If the maker ever registered a...
  10. drspiff

Need To Impair The Traction Of A Belt

Talcum Powder is a generic way of saying baby powder. Get some at Walmart it does not go off, and you might be surprised by the number of uses you find for this powder.
  11. drspiff

Fisher and Diodes

A higher voltage is not a problem. Where are these diodes and what model of Fisher are going in?
  12. drspiff

Has anyone bought one of these animals?

I got one of the $15 units and love it for making up caps for crossovers. I needed a 16uF and used a 1uF and 15uF in parallel. Measured out to 15.96uF. Is it that accurate? Who knows, but using it to match 2 composite caps is well worth the money to me.
  13. drspiff

Need To Impair The Traction Of A Belt

What about dusting with talcum powder? It won't eat the existing belt.
  14. drspiff

Pre-out/main in jumpers - quick and cheap

Go to a welding supply store. They will have 1/8" rod, 3' long, in an abundance of alloys. Get several, for less than a buck, and play to your heart's content.
  15. drspiff

Strange caps in a Stromberg Carlson, prewar FM

Those caps look like the double caps found in old speaker crossovers. They should be able to be replaced by 2 stand alone caps
  16. drspiff

Inexpensive (vintage?) amps with EXCELLENT phono pre?

Best (or at least very, very good phono pre) Advent 300. Cheap and you can use the amp for a set of rear speakers.
  17. drspiff

KLH historians: I need info about KLH Sixes

I just found a sure fire way to tell if your KLH 6s are old pattern or new pattern. The old pattern has the crossover encased in resin and the speakers solidly mounted to the baffle. And probably has the oil caps. So simple it is blinding... If the cabinet measures 23.5" tall it is old...
  18. drspiff

Totally Surprized When I Opened My KLH 17s

I found the small black ones in both KLH 17s and KLH 5s. The paper unit on the left looks like what I found in a set of Fraziers. If the serial numbers on your 17s are close, then it is likely that the papers are an earlier recap. If far apart, then probably an inline production change. Just a...
  19. drspiff

Capacitor type help?

Scientific Wild Ass Guess
  20. drspiff

Death of the vintage receivers and tuners in the Digital Age ?

I built a low-power FM transmitter from a kit made by Ramsey Elec. 300mW stereo FM with no compression. The PC plays mp3s through a Delta Audio card and the unit transmits everywhere on the property. So, for me, I'll still be using when i die.
  21. drspiff

Today's GW Score-"Angelica's"-Audio/Planner speakers-WOW! One-off Prototypes?

Here is a link to a study someone did about using wool and other materials as speaker stuffing: http://www.pitt.edu/~szekeres/resonant.txt And he references Speaker Builder magazine 3/86. I'm assuming 3/86 is either March of 1986 or 3rd quarter of 1986. So it occurred to somebody years...
  22. drspiff

New DIY amplifier completed

How 'bout using one of those tri-color leds that change color automatically? Then you'd really have the modern look. :D
  23. drspiff

Resoldering Tweeter wire

I doubt that anyone can hear the difference one turn of wire would make. Congrats on getting the speakers up and working again. :banana:
  24. drspiff

Big Band--Swing

One of the classics is the Benny Goodman 1938 Carnegie Hall Concert. Available on LP and CD. Some other names to look for: Artie Shaw Duke Ellington Erskine Hawkins Harry James And about 100 others I can't think of at present :D
  25. drspiff

KR-7050: Before I make a mess of things...

I need to DeOxIt the pots on a KR-7050. I pulled the top, and it looked like going through the bottom is a better move. But going through the bottom shows that the pots are covered by circuit boards. So, before I make a mess of this heavyweight receiver: Iis there a preferred path or...
Back
Top Bottom