Search results

1. C

Should The Term Warm Be Removed From Audiophile Use?

I think you are wrong about that. I simply asked a question. Never said that the majority should not use it. Please provide me with a screenshot of me saying that...
  2. C

I read a thread on one of these forums where someone claimed that some new to them speakers sounded "warm". Then someone said they were crappy. So if both people understand it to mean the same thing does that mean that warm speakers are crappy? Also they did not say why they felt the speakers...
  3. C

Who exactly is "the majority of audiophiles"? Do we have to take some sort of test to see if we belong in that sacred group? C'mon... Using it for tube amps, well they do get warm. Literally.
  4. C

No. There is voluntary not using a term because it is overused. That is how I feel. I never use that word and have never used it since I began this hobby. Others use it. But for you to ask if it should be removed implies that there is someone or some entity that is going to censor our language...
  5. C

Just going with what the interwebs tells me. I do know that it has something to do with the mid-bass frequencies. Boomy would be probably be more than thumpy. Is a $hitload more than a buttload?
  6. C

Just so you know... I enjoyed your "full of crap" thread and thought that people overreacted to that. You can't please everyone and some people just don't get it. Carry on... I do now know that the word "warm" is a sacred word that must never be questioned in any way, shape or form. Otherwise...
  7. C

Well all the poll says is that people think that they know what it means. There is no way that a poll can verify that people all understand it as being exactly the same thing. That would be a different poll asking what it is. If I get 100 people together and they all agree that the earth is...
  8. C

Should we stop using the term "warm"?

Obviously nobody is going to force anyone to stop using the term "warm". The title was just to get people thinking. That is all. As for things like the ability to produce sound free of distortion... that can be measured. Off axis and on axis response in speakers can be measured. That is...
  9. C

Describing a room as being "warm" seems to be different than describing an amp as being warm. I would think that a warm room would be one that would also be called "lively"... Or once again maybe just "pleasant"...
  10. C

I am going with chocolaty. If it is creamy and delicious then it should be referred to as being milk chocolaty. If it is more serious and strong then it should be referred to as dark chocolaty. I also think it should be called "moist"... Pleasantly moist would be a good descriptor. LOL. Also...
  11. C

I know exactly what "bright" means". I have no bright equipment at all. As for the whole tube thing, I have not gone down that rabbit hole and have no plans to do so. Not that it wouldn't be cool to do that. I am highly suspicious when people say things like "most of us" because that is not...
  12. C

LOL. Yeah, I belong to two forums. Is that a crime? Don't think so. And for some reason the replies over there were a lot nicer and more in line with what I thought I would get in the way of comments. Here it seems that sometimes people can get nasty if they disagree with you or don't exactly...
  13. C

Need help with close-up work eyewear

I use reading glasses. The weakest ones. I think they are 1.0...
  14. C

I forgot that I did hear a tube based system... But that was at the Best Buy, which is probably not the best place to analyze the sound of something. Although the McIntosh tube amp did put out some really good sound.
  15. C

Good music through good systems makes me happy. Good music through crappy systems makes me cringe. That is all I know.
  16. C

I wish I knew someone who had a tube system so I could go and hear it. I have been a SS guy all of my life but everyone hears about the beauty of tube sound. And yes it is always referred to as being warm.
  17. C

Defining something subjective using objective terms. It does seem like a contradiction. Unless we can be certain that all people will react exactly the same way when fed certain frequencies.
  18. C

We all experience things differently. Subjectivity... Yet we are all supposed to use the same term to describe what we experience. It can not be done. Impossible.
  19. C

A lot of the Google hits are describing the warm sound as being "bass thumpy". I like my bass but I want it clean and not overbearing.
  20. C

I definitely don't want my speakers to color the sound. And they don't. I do use an EQ to tailor the sound to what I like but I am very judicious with its use and am not doing a smiley face either. To me it is about nuance but also the fact that speakers make the biggest difference in sound. I...
  21. C

I don't know. Someone recently on here was posting about a certain set of speakers and said they sounded "warm" and then another person said they were crap. So I think there may be an overuse of the word. Whenever someone likes something they may just refer to it as "having a warm sound" and...
  22. C

No I am just questioning its use and if two people would actually agree on what it is. Obviously there is some agreement out there but I just feel like it is a catchall phrase sometimes for something that someone likes or prefers. I would love to see an actual frequency response graph and...
  23. C

I must be forced to accept this term. Otherwise I will no longer be allowed to enjoy any music...
Back
Top Bottom