Search results

1. cnolanh

RIP Terry DeWick

Godspeed, Terry. He updated the first McIntosh piece I ever got, an MC2100. Later I sent him an MX117 — of course it works flawlessly and sounds superb. Terry’s skill was matched only by his helpfulness and reliability. He’ll be much missed.
  2. cnolanh

Happy Birthday citizen hjames!

Cheers to you, Heather!
  3. cnolanh

interested in vintage Mac ma-754

Just to be clear, the correct model number is the MC754. Great no-fuss, no-frills amp without autoformers.
  4. cnolanh

Pleasure doing business with @cnolanh

Most welcome, Joe! It was a great transaction!
  5. cnolanh

Jerry_ is a superb buyer

He recently bought a cartridge from me in BT. His communication went above and beyond, and he made the whole transaction fast and easy. Highly recommended! Thanks so much, Jerry! Nolan
  6. cnolanh

cnolanh (Nolan) Trusted Seller, Buy With Confidence!

Thanks so much, Jerry! A pleasure all around.
  7. cnolanh

I think I want a vintage MC2125/2105 but which preamp?

Do check it out. I have the MX117 which is essentially a C504 preamp plus an MR75 tuner. And it's a delightful piece of equipment, to my ears nearly identical to the C33. Both sound neutral and transparent to the sources. The C33 of course has far more flexibility but if a smaller/simpler Mc...
  8. cnolanh

The rarest speakers you own or have owned?

Phase Tech PC65. Some of their other models seem to be much more common. I have three Soliloquy SAT5 speakers that were not made in tremendous quantities. But they do have tremendous quality. Also once was given a pair of Soliloquy C-3 centers but a couple drivers were bad. With replacements...
  9. cnolanh

Happy Birthday cnolanh!

Thanks so much, good people! Cheers to you all!
  10. cnolanh

What "Audio Related" item were you GIFTED?

When I was maybe 12 my uncle gave me a Pioneer KP-500 cassette car stereo with a 12-volt power supply and a couple of small Akai speakers. I was ecstatic to have that rig as my first bedroom audio setup. Over the years other audio gifts from folks have included ADS L710 speakers, Soliloquy...
  11. cnolanh

Service for Empire TT in Louisville, KY?

I second the recommendation of Magnetic Tape Recorder as a reputable and fair servicer of vintage audio equipment. They’ve worked on about ten items of mine, and I’m very happy with the results. Of course it’s great to personally fix and refurbish whatever you can, especially learning how to...
  12. cnolanh

What was the first car you owned?

My first car was a 1967 Chrysler Newport, cream colored, given to me my first year of college when my grandmother needed to stop driving. One of the first things I did with it: took six of us an hour away to Buffalo to hear a Rush concert. I had a fun few years driving that beast which was born...
  13. cnolanh

Harman Kardon T55C Twenty second arm drop

On my T55C the CAP TRIM switch is very clearly detented at three spots: normal, +100pf, +250pf. And the knob doesn't turn past those three settings. If yours does, maybe the knob is loose on the shaft, and/or that switch itself is broken? I play records on my T55C every few days and I really...
  14. cnolanh

Sony PS-X5 vs PS-X50

I haven’t tried an X5 myself, but I have an X70 and love it. I also set up an X50 for a friend and it’s nearly as nice as the X70. Just semiauto instead of fully auto, right? I certainly can recommend the sound and user-friendly operation of the PS-Xx0 series.
  15. cnolanh

Marantz CD6006 Skipping. Please help.

Don’t have an answer for the skipping but yes, it’s a lovely player that’s well worth getting sorted. I am delighted with mine. Good luck!
  16. cnolanh

Happy Birthday KentTeffeteller!

Cheers to you, Kent!
  17. cnolanh

Show Us Your Sonys!!!

Sony TC-KA3ES, singing beautifully after new belts and adjustments — a late high-water mark for Sony cassette decks (yes, I know the TC-KA7ES was sold in Japan). Recordings made here with Dolby S on Type IV or Type II sound astoundingly good to me, essentially identical to the source.
  18. cnolanh

How does the Sony Direct Drive BSL motor works / troubleshooting

Hope so! They have worked on this series before and they even have a PS-X70 parts table, so I’m hopeful. They’ve repaired several other pieces of equipment to my satisfaction, though this might be the most complex beast I’ve brought them.
  19. cnolanh

How does the Sony Direct Drive BSL motor works / troubleshooting

Really appreciate this careful, detailed info on troubleshooting and fixing these Sony beauties! I have a PS-X70 which I love. It’s in a local shop for service right now because I don’t have all the tools and expertise to dig into it (auto-return is inop but the rest of the table works well).
  20. cnolanh

My “New” Yamaha CD-1 circa 1982 (!)

As someone who owned a Sony CDP-101 for years, that Yamaha is gorgeous. Enjoy!
  21. cnolanh

A McIntosh Tuner, Is There One In Your System?

Two of them live here: an MX117 (which incorporates the MR75 tuner), and an MR500 in another system. Both of them allow FM to sound about as good as possible. And we listen to other sources more often than radio, so no need for a yet higher-performance tuner. (I’ve never owned any Mc pinnacle...
  22. cnolanh

How old were you when you got your tenth McIntosh?

Six owned, and five of those I still have. So if I ever get to ten Mc pieces it’ll be some years in the future. I don’t need more power, or systems in more rooms, or audio performance that exceeds what I have. I might, however, feel the need for blue meters at some point.
  23. cnolanh

SAE 1000LT/E blowout sale on the bay

I got two LTs and one E. All have clean pins and almost undetectable signs of cantilever corrosion. They sound wonderful. Sounds like these carts are arriving in a variety of conditions.
  24. cnolanh

Worst regrets selling a piece of equipment!

About 15 years ago I picked up a Sansui TU-X1 and used it for a time. Very good condition, but not pristine. Of course it was the best-performing tuner I’d ever experienced. Traded it for a McIntosh preamp which I still have and love. But it’s hard to let go of an arguably best-of-breed...
  25. cnolanh

Happy Birthday ConradH!

Cheers to you, Conrad!
Back
Top Bottom