Search results

1. M

That Will Do Pig

Pigtopia calls.
  2. M

Had A Friend Over Listening To Cartridges

Had a good friend over listening to the stereo, actually we were going through speaker set up parameters. But we took a break to listen to some vinyl. Took out Sade King of Sorrow from her box set and decided to play it on all three cartridge combinations I have. Now each is on a different arm...
  3. M

Apparently I Am Collecting Interesting Out Of Production Cartridges

So I got a big daddy cartridge as my reference. The other cartridges I own are now out of production classics. Ortofon MC2000/MC3000 II Kiseki Blackheart-original Transfiguration Audio Proteus I need another cartridge like a hole in my head. But I bought a Denon DL-S1 with original cantilever...
  4. M

I Need To Touch Up The Top Of My Cabinet

I got some blemishes on top.of my cabinet. Wife is going to be gone for a week in October, so I got a bit of time for a project. Think I can use a bit of filler and then lightly sand the edge. Not sure if I have to sand down the whole top, or do I have alternatives? Any thoughts?
  5. M

Spicy V8 Do You Love Or Hate?

Spicy v8 is great as far as this swine is concerned. Will buy it every time I can find it.
  6. M

BMC Audio Makes A Nice Phono Stage

After getting the system sorted out digitally I then went to work on the analog side. I already had the Ortofon Verismo phono stage hooked up to a BMC MCCI Signature ULN and that was sounding quite nice. I have a second standard version of the MCCI phono stage that I picked up on a good deal...
  7. M

Ideas On Building A Cartridge Display Case

I need a case to protect and display some cartridges. I have a drill press, router table, and chop saw. I can cut and shape a baseplate out of maple or another wood. I also see there are affordable acrylic display cases on Temu I can repurpose for the cover. I can drill the hole cleanly. I...
  8. M

Bought A Vintage Cartridge This Weekend

When I was in college I got bit by the audio bug. I dreamed of turntables and analog gear, as digital was in its infancy. My unicorns were the Koetsu Rosewood, the Mission Rosewood, and the Kiseki Purpleheart. I have never seen a Mission Rosewood. I have owned a Koetsu Urushi Wajima. This...
  9. M

A Power Cord Experiment

Well to add to the discussion, and this is about power cords, so this should make for some thoughtful discourse. As the backstory recently bought a new BPT 3.5 Signature Plus power conditioner. It comes with a factory power cord. In my discussions with the seller he mentioned that its possible...
  10. M

Saw The Best Idea For Shipping Heavy Boxes In Quite Awhile

So I received a turntable for evaluation earlier this year. When I received it the manufacturer had attached 3/4" 90 degree moudling on all sides and corners. It builds a very nice framework for the box to protect it from edge damage. This kind of PVC does not look terribly expensive and should...
  11. M

Inside the Rack I Am Almost All Silver

Just noticed all the gear is silver these days, except for a speed controller. But that is OK since the amps have a bit of black too.
  12. M

Installed Diffusers On the Front Wall.

They hang with French cleats. Weigh 40 pounds each. Currently unfinished, but I will stain them.
  13. M

How To Figure Value Of A Statue

A coworker of mine got this from a family member. Apparently they bought it in the 1930s while they lived in San Francisco. Think this is St Raphael. It's 21 inches tall...it's metal...so bronze? No casting information on the bottom. Maybe a Catholic icon type thingie? She brought in this pic...
  14. M

Have We Been Thinking Of Domestic Japanese Gear Compatibility Wrong?

Ran across a post on SHF from user Ingenieur So I thought I would look a bit closer. It took a bit of digging, but it appears to be the case. https://www.stamford-avk.com/sites/stamfordavk/files/AGN203_B.pdf So what does it really mean for domestic Japanese gear coming to the US?
  15. M

Refilling Seams Between Walkway Pavers

Have a pathway that was in rough shape. Killed all the vegetation with weed and grass killer them took a pressure washer to it. Cost me all the material in the seams. When I go to fill anyone have suggestions? Previously it looks like pea gravel and sand. Refill with the same or is...
  16. M

Finishing/Painting Diffusion Panels

I ordered a set of diffusion panels from Temu this last week and i am looking at options to finish them. They are not a bad deal if you can wait a bit for shipping, mine took 10 days to get here. 12pcs Textures 3d Wall Panels White Diamond Design Pack Of 12 Tiles 32 Sq Ft Pvc 19 7 X 19 7 Inch...
  17. M

Martin Logan CLX ART Speakers Now Reside At The Swine-Hacendia

So after owning my JBL 4365 for about 7 years it was time to move on. On USAM there were a very nice set of Martin Logan CLX ART available. The condition was excellent, the seller has a sterling reputation, and was experienced shipping large speakers. So we came to an agreement, and I bought...
  18. M

Rescued Planters from Dads House

A few years ago I had to clean up the parents place to sell when Mom went to a retired living apartment. Dad has passed 7 years ago now. These planters were in Dads junk pile and were badly sun faded. I carted them home and tossed them in the garage. This week I dug them out and painted them so...
  19. M

People Should Not Dangle Tasty Treats In Front Of Hungry Swine

Sometime in January of this year I bought a B.M.C. Audio MCCI Signature ULN phono stage. I have it installed in the system and enjoy it quite a bit. Wonderful dense sound, nicely balanced tonally, sounds refined and textured. When I was looking at my machine there was a base model MCCI for...
  20. M

New Ultrasonic Cleaner In The House and Some Thoughts

I decided to purchase a new record cleaner, and after a bit of reading and considering what I wanted to spend I bought a new Kirmuss cleaner. Now here is the thing, you read the website and the manuals and its hard not be leery of this thing. The whole presentation feels like a Wild West...
  21. M

Things I Did Not Know About Dolly Parton

The following was in my Facebook feed. I never knew that I Will Always Love You was a Dolly composition, I thought she covered it. Those are my two favorite songs from her. She deserves a lot of respect as a person though, what a talented and smart person. Country singer Dolly Parton wrote the...
  22. M

The Age Old Debate On AK. Spend Money On Speakers Or Spend Money On Upstream Electronics.

You know the debate, its always best to spend money on speakers because they will sound better than upgrading electronics. Others think that the better the upstream components are the better the sound, and its best to get this right before going whole hog on speakers. Here is the story I want...
  23. M

For The Aficionado Of The Conical Stylus

I don't believe I have ever shared a link to a review before. But I thought a group of folks here might like this one. Don't have anything else particular to say, but it's a neat piece. https://positive-feedback.com/reviews/hardware-reviews/charisma-audio-charm-cartridge/
  24. M

Buying From Ebay: A Lesson Reinforced

I was gifted a One Blade razor on Christmas. Nice shave and the blades are supposed to last 4 months, which they do. I needed a replacement blade and the ones from China on Ebay cost 1/3 the price from going down to Target and buying off the shelf. We always want to think we are buying grey...
  25. M

So All Good Things Come To An End

Fellow came over today to listen to the JBL 4365. He left a pile of money and he is taking them home. Only one can fit in his Blazer, so its two trips. These are a fine speaker, but now its time for a different chapter. What does the future hold? I am not sure as I didn't want to get too...
Back
Top Bottom