Search results

1. R

Schiit Multibit back from service

I just wanted to note this was similar to my experiences with Schiit DACs. USB failed, got it repaired. USB failed again, was told it must be my fault. The OP is lucky that they kept offering to replace it. Perhaps a company that cheerfully replaces a broken product twice and offers a refund...
  2. R

Oppo Sonica DAC Being Dropped

The mid-to-high-end stand alone DAC market is pretty crowded and competitive. The mid-to-high-end Blu Ray player market is basically an Oppo monopoly. I think I see what's happening here.
  3. R

Poll: Should a Factory Refurbished Turntable Come with a New Cartridge?

Yeah. I think that as much as I enjoyed the three page argument over the semantics of the word "refurbished", it was never the right word to begin with. This is an open box return. Marantz isn't going to include a new-in-box Clearaudio Virtuoso with a refurbished table, sorry.
  4. R

Oppo BDP-105 or Schiit Audio Modi 2 Multibit? DAC comparisons.

Basically. I'd add that Schiit does a good job with price points (even if its due to cutting corners) that it can be hard to talk yourself out of them. I've owned a total of six Schiit products over the years because of this. Every one was a disappointment, but I will say the smaller cheaper...
  5. R

Yep. I was willing to give the brand a chance because people regard it so highly - maybe the higher price point items were better, etc. Live and learn. Thankfully I was able to sell the Bifrost MB on ebay for a decent price after Schiit refused to fix the USB when it broke for a second time...
  6. R

It's not him. It's you. I've never seen anything on an audio message board like this. Chill.
  7. R

I think you learned an important lesson - never say anything bad about Schiit on an internet forum. Regardless of your first hand experience with multiple products, you don't like them so you're WRONG. Note I've owned two different Modis and a Bifrost MB and hated all of them, so you're not alone.
  8. R

Nitty Gritty, Inc. has closed its doors

The biggest difference is having to turn the platter by yourself.
  9. R

Opinions on Reissue 6CA7 and KT77 tubes

I have heard people say JJ has improved over the years. I think any new-production tubes I purchase will come from Upscale Audio, as they seem to charge a few dollars more in exchange for a better grading and burn in process.
  10. R

That they do. I wish so many people hadn't warned me that they're going to explode and take my amp with them, I'm scared to use them now.
  11. R

How long did you let the KT77's break in? I know Upscale Audio says they can take up to 100 hours, and how they sound before break in is about what you're describing. I admit that's rather frustrating, as its pretty lame to sit around listening to your music sounding bad in hopes it eventually...
  12. R

mcintosh ma6600 for B&W804 D3?

McIntosh and the B&W 800 series is a match made in heaven. The B&W's like power, but 200 watts of real McIntosh power is going to be able to drive them just fine.
  13. R

HIFIBERRY DAC+ PRO XLR

Cool stuff. I recently noticed DACBerry, a new Pi audio board that has normal and balanced versions. It seems to differ from HiFiBerry in that you can have analog and digital outs on the same board. I like how they supported all the usual software (Rune, Roon, Volumio) on launch. Don't feel...
  14. R

Your Favorite EL34 or Equivelent Power Tube

Oh. Crossing those off my list!
  15. R

Your Favorite EL34 or Equivelent Power Tube

It's a shame they don't make the Winged C's anymore, the prices are starting to creep up to NOS levels. (since they are, I suppose). I think they sound better then RFT/Seimens, even if probably not as reliable (I've had two go bad within a couple of months of use). I've never tried the Gold...
  16. R

McIntosh C47 Firmware V1.00

It has not been my experience that DietPi works with native DSD. In fact, I've had problems with it and DSD, weird volume issues. I might give a later version a try as I enjoy tinkering with rPis, but with the rendu I suppose it doesn't much matter for me.
  17. R

EL-34/KT-77/6550/KT-88 Recommendations

I've heard good things about the JJ KT77s as well, and ordered a quad last week for $85 out the door. Seems hard to believe for that price, but YOLO I suppose. I currently use the New Sensor Winged C EL34s and think they're fantastic, but they don't make them anymore and I want to find...
  18. R

Another broken faceplate due to idiocracy.

I'm not saying its impossible, I'm saying it introduces too many variables for me to be comfortable with it. Think of it like this - the archives of this forum are filled with dozens of threads like this. If people took my advice, it wouldn't be. In no way am I admonishing the OP, but given...
  19. R

Another broken faceplate due to idiocracy.

When you're shopping for used McIntosh online, just treat non-local sales without original packaging as if they didn't exist. I'm sure its cathartic to call the seller names, but this is to be expected. McIntosh gear is half Hi-Fi, half Faberge egg. It's the nature of the game.
  20. R

If you must have native DSD, I'd return it and get a micro rendu.
  21. R

This is basically what I did for several years. To be honest I didn't have much of a problem with it until I got a Sonos (so it was easier for my wife to use) and understood how much easier it all gets. It's good there are so many options for how to do this that suits various needs. At this...
  22. R

My issue with JRiver and programs like it is I'd either need to connect a laptop to my system or remote desktop to a computer I kept connected to my system. IMO, this is just a bit of a messy way of doing things. I'd much rather use some form of dedicated bridge, be it a Sonos, Roon endpoint...
  23. R

I used to use my Linux based Roon core as my endpoint as well and didn't observe any peculiarities with sample rate changes. The C47 doesn't chirp or click when it changes resolutions like other DACs I've used. I will say though it would be very hard for me to perceive a half second delay...
  24. R

C47 vs C52 ... Features aside, is ultimate performance the same ?

I'd figured the difference between the C47 and C52 amounted to cosmetics and inputs. I'm not sure how the human brain actually perceives a SNR 100 vs. 110, but if that figure is different I'd say the differences go deeper then I thought. Note having gone from a D100 (said to be the same as the...
Back
Top Bottom