Search results

1. R

Differences in D100 vs. D150?

Apologies as I imagine this has been hashed out at some point, but its always good to get fresh perspectives. I've been using a D100 as a DAC and preamp for a few years now and considering potential changes. Is the D150 an identical product that adds DSD, or does it have other revisions? I...
  2. R

Ken Rockwell's guide to photographing an MC240

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/00-new-today.htm Interesting read on his experiences photographing an MC240 properly. Figured some might enjoy. Scroll down about a page to get to the section on the amp.
  3. R

Cartridge for a VPI Classic?

If all goes well I'll be picking up a used VPI Classic tomorrow (:banana:), and the two cartridges I have I could potentially mount on it are a Grado 8MZ or an Audio Technica OC9/ii. I'm curious if anybody has any insights as to these pairings. Note that while I might be perfectly satisfied...
  4. R

Wu Tang Forever 4x LP

I enjoy a little hip hop from time to time, but generally avoid it on vinyl as what albums I do own are the worst pressed albums I have by far. This fact almost led me to pass on the new reissue of the Wu Tang Clan's magnum Opus, and I'm glad I didn't, and wanted to make sure anybody on the...
  5. R

So which gear will you be trading in, and for what?

http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/us/Brand/Pages/NewsDetails.aspx?NewsID=137&Block=1 :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:
  6. R

Emotiva XPS-1: the next great budget phono stage?

I've always been a fan of Emotiva, and have owned a few of their products over the years. Checking their website a couple of days before Christmas I noticed they'd come out with the XPS-1 phono stage, which is the stand-alone version of the phono stage from their reference stereo preamp. It...
  7. R

Which speaker taps should I use?

Hey folks, I know speaker impedance is a broader issue then just McIntosh, but it seems the best place to ask. I've attached the test results from my B&W Matrix 805 speakers. They're rated at 8ohms, and while I'm not an expert on interpreting that graph, I'm not sure if I'm best served...
  8. R

Question on Clearaudio Nano

A question I can't seem to find the answer for - in MC mode, what is the resistance of the Nano phonostage when none of the provided resistors are in place? TIA to anybody who might know.
  9. R

Wondering if you need a dust cover?

In one of the more spectacular entries to an already impressive list of audio related blunders in my life, I managed to knock a speaker off of its stand onto the tonearm of my Clearaudio Concept, presumably trashing the tonearm and definitely breaking the Benz Silver cartridge (I say presumably...
  10. R

OC9 MKII and Technics 1200MK2?

Hey all, On a whim I purchased an OC9/ii this weekend (:banana:), I figured they'd eventually run out so I might as well. The most logical place for it to end up would be on my Technics 1200MK2, so I was wondering if anybody had any experience with this. From my research it seems to be...
  11. R

What do you suppose is wrong with my Rega?

The other day I fired up a Rega RP1 that I don't use very often, and discovered that it had horrible distortion coming out of the right channel. I found this odd, as I'd listened to it the night before and nothing had been changed. I left it alone for a couple days as my other tables were...
  12. R

That wasn't nearly as hard as I thought!

Since having my dealer install a new Benz Silver on my Concept, the stock Clearaudio MM has been sitting in a drawer, and I thought I'd try my hand at setting it up on my Technics. Some of you seem able to do this in your sleep, but reading threads full of meticulous adjustments and fine...
  13. R

Could a fellow Clearaudio Concept owner do me a quick favor?

At some point the strip of red tape that marks the right vs. the left has fallen off my Concept's RCA jack plug. Could somebody check their Concept's RCA cables to see if the writing (Clearaudio made in Germany etc etc) is on the right or the left cable? Thanks! :thmbsp:
  14. R

Question on MX119/132/134

I've read in the archives of a lot of people having a lot of success using the older Mac home theater pre/pros in mostly 2-channel systems that occasionally do surround duties thanks to the 5.1 analog inputs. I understand the differences between the 132, 134, and 119 are number of inputs...
  15. R

Interchanging McIntosh boxes?

Both the MC2505 and C28 are listed as being 5-7/16th" x 16" x 13", does that mean I could safely package my MC2505 in a C28 box, or are there other wrinkles I'm not considering? (obviously I have access to one but not the other if that's not implied :thmbsp:)
  16. R

Cleaning glass faceplates

I'm sure this has come up a lot, but I'm curious as to what people suggest for cleaning glass faceplates. I'm seeing the morning sun hit my gear and am amazed at how dirty it is. I can usually get all the fingerprints off my amp and disc player pretty easy because there's a lot of wide open...
  17. R

Thoughts on ML-1C speakers?

I've been toying with the idea of buying a pair of ML-1C's from a local seller. They've been refoamed and seem to be in great condition. Obviously I'd listen for myself and form my own judgement before making a decision, but I'm curious as to what people's impressions of them are. I know...
  18. R

setup issue with new turntable

Hello all, I unboxed a new Clearaudio Concept today, and everything is great so far, but it seems it needs some sort of adjustment, but I'm not sure what to adjust. On inside tracks of the record, let's say 2-3 on, I can simply raise the tonearm lever to its highest point, drop it to its...
  19. R

Clearaudio Concept w/MM vs. Pro-Ject RM5.1 w/HOMC

Hello, I've read lots of great press on the Clearaudio Concept and it seems to be a real winner. However, it seems most of the reviewers are reviewing the package that includes the $800 by itself Concept MC cartridge vs. the more modest Concept MM cart that comes with the $1500 package...
  20. R

The C41's phono stage

I'm fairly new to vinyl, and have been reading about people who have gotten good results with stand-alone phono stages. Some of the lower-priced tube models in particular, like the Pro-Ject Tube Box and Jolida JD9 seem interesting. I'm curious though how the phono stage in my C41 compares to...
  21. R

Replacing bulbs on an MC352

The lower panel bulbs in my MC352 are burnt out (as opposed to the bulbs illuminating the meters). I was originally thinking of getting the LED kit for it, but the instructions seem to involve more then I want to do myself, and I'd hate to go through the trouble to haul that behemoth to a...
  22. R

The C41 Preamp

I was curious if anybody had any thoughts on the C41. It seems compared to other McIntosh gear there's very little in the way of reviews or information available online. I've seen a few message board threads along the lines of "which C4x should I buy?" and it usually seems to go without...
Back
Top Bottom