Search results

1. wasillaguy

Solder Fume Extractor Build

Yes, combo smoke/CO detector, and I'm in a drafty, low-vented garage.
  2. wasillaguy

Solder Fume Extractor Build

Here's mine- $15 stove hood from the local recycle place, complete with light and fan. On a pulley so it can be lifted out of the way, the last 3 ft. to the wall is chain, so can be hooked at any level. Dryer duct to my heater flue. Yes, my bench rug is the backseat floormat from an '85...
  3. wasillaguy

Things you don't see anymore.

Shake-A-Puddin'
  4. wasillaguy

Nikko STA-1101 nudes

Hi Bert, sorry so long responding, I've been away from the bench for a couple years. Here's a schematic I drew up of the amp. I remember farting around for quite a while, but ended up changing the 100ohm that's in series with the pots to 120ohm, and the 6.8K coming from the negative rail changed...
  5. wasillaguy

Nope!

That explains the little plate. Just drop your nugget of blonde lebanese on the plate and start sucking. Not that I would know of such things.
  6. wasillaguy

Nope!

Mains powered. 110vac. Maybe it was for plastic or something, no tinning on the tip. But if you wanted to blow cool air on a fresh weld, not sure you'd blow through a hot iron. Never heard of a solder blower, sounds like a mess. Have heard of the gas mask, but ours was just duct taped to an...
  7. wasillaguy

Nope!

I'm assuming it was rigged up. The a/c cord looks original, so it probably didn't come off of a pump type station, they usually have a multi-pin connector to a power supply. No brand name or model # on it.
  8. wasillaguy

Nope!

Found at a garage sale and couldn't pass it up at $2, just to show to people like you. I'm gonna go ahead and assume the user gave his life for the cause of desoldering.
  9. wasillaguy

Nikko STA-1101 nudes

I guess they were trying to make it look like a tv where the tuner scales are on the left. Behind the smoked lens, the FM or AM dial lights up depending on which is selected. In the pic I've got it on FM. When on phono, tape, or aux that side is just dark. That faceplate is steel! Couldn't...
  10. wasillaguy

Nikko STA-1101 nudes

Finally got back to finishing this guy. The manual shows the amp drivers as a big 16 pin IC, but as can be seen they are actually discrete components. Classic AB push/pull with 2SC1030s. Had blown transistors, had to adjust some resistors to get her lined up with the replacements (replaced...
  11. wasillaguy

Nikko STA-1101 nudes

Not much out there on this receiver, so thought I'd share. Wiring is pretty messy, but very easy to work on.
  12. wasillaguy

Massive shipment of drugs hidden in speakers!

I use a pair of old Sansui cabinets for a gun hide. Well, one is a gun hide, the other is full of ammo. The grill cloth is dark enough nothing behind is visible. Just pull off the velcro attached grill cover, and I'm ready for trouble.
  13. wasillaguy

Nikko HB-18005 IC (inside a STA-1101)

I got the Nikko service bulletin from Analog Alley as well. It calls for an etched circuit card, but I opted to make my own IC replacement. Dipped in that rubber coating stuff you find in auto parts stores.
  14. wasillaguy

Nikko STA-1101

Thanks. We're used to shaking up here, but this one was in a class by itself. This was the Macintosh of earthquakes.
  15. wasillaguy

Nikko STA-1101

Was cleaning the dust out of this unit when the quake hit. It stayed on the workbench, and so did all the circuit cards, but took me a while to find the knobs and several screws. A reminder to keep your hardware in containers, you never know when a 6.8 shaker will hit!
  16. wasillaguy

Nikko STA-1101

Finally got around to opening up my Nikko STA-1101 and was very impressed. Built like a tank, and all the boards slide into edge connectors, so would be easy to recap. The only other unit I've looked at that's this user friendly was my Sansui AU-999. Cleaned up the controls and it sounds decent...
  17. wasillaguy

What's wrong with this listing?

No worries about shedding or gumming up your deck!
  18. wasillaguy

Highest-end gear you've found at a thrift

Walked into my local S.A. one day back in 2012 and there sits a Pioneer Spec rack, with the Spec 1 amp, Spec 4 pre, cassette deck and tuner (with the rack mount/handles). They weren't giving it away, but I knew the amp and pre by themselves were worth more than the asking. The store handyman was...
  19. wasillaguy

Help Identifying vintage Electronics

It's no longer useful from an industry perspective, so you're left with a very niche collector market. My guess would be the value is negligible.
  20. wasillaguy

Help Identifying vintage Electronics

Definitely a telephony test set. Note the "T" and "R" designations next to the first set of phone jacks. Those stand for "tip" and "ring", which are telephony terms to identify each of the conductors. A typical phone circuit is 4-wire: transmit tip, transmit ring, receive tip, and receive ring...
  21. wasillaguy

How Long Before FM Tuners Become “Typewriters”?

Sure, there are lots of ways to snoop, but monitoring a typewriter has to be planned and implemented prior to the typing, unless the user is dumb enough to leave the ribbon. By the way, folks who worked for "three letter agencies" who really know secrets, don't comment about working for "three...
  22. wasillaguy

How Long Before FM Tuners Become “Typewriters”?

If I wanted to make sure my writing stayed private, a typewriter is the way to go. Only one copy, and it can be burned. Could be real handy if you were a crooked politician, rather than let forensics experts recover damning evidence from a hard drive. Or if you're a writer and want to secure...
  23. wasillaguy

What I learned on Craigslist

You're infer a big disappointment?
  24. wasillaguy

Turntable cue light

I stand corrected! I didn't realize it was a $20 light. It was what I had on hand, and I think I got it as a gift. No. Turns out this cheapie mic body is slightly bigger than the mic holder on the stand was designed for. Didn't realize this until I was done making the light. I had to shove...
Back
Top Bottom