Search results

1. Tom_r

MR77 issues ...

Any idea of a current part number/spec for the d505 (24v in McIntosh part list and part is marked: Motorola 049) and q501 (part is marked: Motorola 065 024)? Per a post in another thread I'm going to use 1N5395's to replace the 1N4820 diodes. Thank you all for your help so far!
  2. Tom_r

MR77 issues ...

C503 and C504 have been recapped and the voltages remain unchanged.
  3. Tom_r

MR77 issues ...

The voltages around Q502 are all pretty close: Schematic Measured -34 -37.5 -12.5 -10.8 -12 -10.5 But Q501 is another story: 37 8.5 24.7 0.88 24 0.09 I replaced R503...
  4. Tom_r

MR77 issues ...

I recently bought a (early version) MR77 which needed some work. Now that I have it in my hands this is what is happening: a) R503 gets hot enough to melt the solder on the C503 side: This is how it was when I received the tuner. I've resoldered the melted connection, and replaced tantalum...
  5. Tom_r

The Official Oracle Turntable Thread

Pretty close. Specs say Dynamic Compliance: 18 x 10-6 cm/dyne
  6. Tom_r

I fixed the anti skate thread, de-solderd/re-installed the phono cable for suspension setup, and used 3in1 20w electric motor oil to fill the bushing/shaft reservoir. I also removed the dust cover. The Lurne arm is setup but needs fine tuning. I'm going to translate the manual. I guess I...
  7. Tom_r

If there's not an RC shop nearby I have some 3-1 20w oil for electric motor bushings. It should be fine for the TT bushings and I'll use it for the arm as well.
  8. Tom_r

Thanks for the offer to make an attempt to translate. Here's the link: https://www.vinylengine.com/library/audiomeca-pierre-lurne/arm-2.shtml And thanks for the idea to search in French. I had a quick peak, and there's quite a few results to browse through. I have some silicone oil in an...
  9. Tom_r

My Oracle Delphi MkII arrived the other day. I bought the TT from the second owner. It came with the Audiomeca Pierre Lurne Arm 2. No pics yet as I'm taking my time re-assembling the TT. In the latest suspension instructions it says to disconnect the tonearm phono cable. Not sure of that is...
  10. Tom_r

Common, Rare, Odd, & Obscure Amplifier Poker

Both like the first one. I bought them a few years ago: one in New England and the other 6 months later in the midwest. As luck would have it the serial numbers are four numbers apart. What are the chances of that some 65 years later!
  11. Tom_r

Common, Rare, Odd, & Obscure Amplifier Poker

Ooooh, I still have two of them to get to.
  12. Tom_r

Mullard Shmullard

Well not really. Factory assembly meant college students assembling stuff. Hmmm, in that era who knows what one might be high upon! ;)
  13. Tom_r

Yet another Heath W5M rebuild

Thx Brice. Its pretty scary to think they used 400v (& 450v) caps in these and many other tube amps which have well over 400v B+. This amp has 480vdc at the plates. I used 630v K40's between the 6CG7's, and the KBG's are 600v. And I'm using Gordon W's stupid simple preamp .... thx Gordon! I...
  14. Tom_r

Yet another Heath W5M rebuild

I bought my amps years ago and finally finished the first one last night. Sounds really nice!! Mine have the 16309 OPT. I have the big vintage oiler caps for the first filter cap but couldn't use them as I went with KBG output caps in that space. I used a 10uF 900v film cap for the first filter...
  15. Tom_r

Can the damper control be disabled ...

Yes, it is a dual section pot.
  16. Tom_r

I don't know if it helps, but here's a pic of the control.
  17. Tom_r

Great, thanks! I'll give that a try. Unfortunately Grommes provided the schematic that way.
  18. Tom_r

The pots in the damper control in one of my amps are scratchy and remain so after I tried cleaning. I'm wondering if it can be taken out of the circuit. Can I tie together the two leads at the - side of the speaker connection and ground the 100uF10v cap? The schematic is below. Thank you
  19. Tom_r

Another Super High End Phono Stage! No expense spared...

Finished my build a few weeks ago and am really impressed at how nice the phono pre sounds. :beerchug: I'm using it with various LOMC cartridges and SUT's. I assembled it with all std parts, pretty much as per the Mouser BoM except: -I used one of those filtered IEC input sockets -I'm going to...
  20. Tom_r

Quad of Philips JAN-6922 preamp tubes from Bryce

Bought these some time ago from Bryce: http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/philips-jan-6922-premium-6dj8-nos-matched-quad.728183/ Had a chance to install them in my Bruce Moore preamp and they sound great! Thx Bryce
  21. Tom_r

AD797 Phono Stage Build and Help Desk Thread

Hi Sachin, Just working on ordering parts for the OPS and Digikey no longer carries the Panasonic 10mH choke as it seems to be discontinued. Can you recommend a suitable substitute from Digikey? Thx.
  22. Tom_r

Heathkit W-5M / AA-121 Upgrades

Here is some reading from another W5 thread: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/heathkit-w5m-rebuilds.165950/
  23. Tom_r

Lets talk anode caps, 6BG6G scratch build.

I use Belden 8899 5k volt test prod wire and pin jacks for top caps. The wire is available in many colours and the pin jacks allow me to remove the lead before pulling the tube.
  24. Tom_r

Sherwood S-5500 Schematic

My S-5000 is a 7189 tube amp. Schematics are serial number deponent.
  25. Tom_r

Hammond 153E choke (7H 25mA) - any use in tube amp or preamp?

Thank you for the suggestions! That's some food for thought.
Back
Top Bottom