Search results

1. StevenZ

Anyone near Annandale, VA?

Needing someone near Annandale, VA to possibly pick up some speakers for me and drop off at FedEx. Let me know if anyone can help. Thanks, Steven
  2. StevenZ

Brisket Time!

Finally had some down time and convinced my parents to take my kid or the day/night so the pregnant wife and I could relax a bit. Decided along with the yard work I had to take care of I decided to throw a brisket onto my pellet grill (Grilla Grills brand, Silverbac model). I picked up a...
  3. StevenZ

Heed Elixir or Rega Brio-R (2017 Version)

As the title states, having a hard time deciding between these two. I've asked Gene Rubin (who I'll be buying from) and he still prefers the Elixir to the 2017 Brio. However, I do respect What Hi-Fi? and their reviews which indicate a full 5-Star rating for the 2017 Brio, and a less than great...
  4. StevenZ

Smokers - Charcoal, gas, electric, etc. HELP!

So, a quick backstory. I love grilling, in fact i consider myself pretty good at it. However, when it comes to smoking BBQ I've done it once.... However, the one time I did, I used my brother's Weber Smokey Mountain and came up with some pretty awesome pork ribs using the 3-2-1 method. So...
  5. StevenZ

Tidal's new "Masters" - MQA is here!

This morning I logged into Tidal and was greeted by a message about Tidal Masters now being available. Unfortunately I clicked off of it too fast to read the whole thing however I did go into my settings and saw that I'm now on the "Hifi/Masters" streaming option. So, being the bozo I am and not...
  6. StevenZ

We're all being ripped off!..... By the soap companies?

Is it just me or does anyone else get a little ticked off when buying bar soap? I remember when buying a bar of soap and you'd get a solid hunk of good smelling stuff. Now it seems the soap companies are shaving and shaping them in such a way that you're getting what I can assume is probably...
  7. StevenZ

EL84 SE - In search of the ultimate design

Well, I'll keep this simple. I'd like to build / have built an EL84 SE amp (with TKD volume pot) and would like to get you guys' opinions on the absolute best sounding design out there. Assume that I'll be using the very best parts available. What are your thoughts?
  8. StevenZ

Epos Elan 15's on the way!

Well, so I've been shopping around for a while trying to find a good pair of speakers that had a high-er efficiency and are known to be an easy load, yet not break the bank. I had considered the Reference 3A De Capo BE speakers but even at a decent discount from one of the dealers they were...
  9. StevenZ

Funky Tasting Milk

So I've been buying organic milk for years now and have gone through various brands trying to find the best. Well, I found the perfect tasting one, or so I thought. It seems that some of these organic milks have a slightly sweet taste to them but that's also accompanied by a underlying...
  10. StevenZ

Excitement for the Schiit Yggdrasil

I'm not sure if a lot of AK members are aware of Schiit's upcoming DAC release, but I am definitely excited. I've been saving my pennies for a good DAC to pair with my Sonneteer Orton and I think the Yggy may just be the right one. Does anyone else plan on purchasing one?
  11. StevenZ

Heart palpitations and me

So, about 9 years ago I went into atrial fibrillation and was rushed to the E.R. When i arrived, after 8hrs of being in a-fib, they finally figured out that I have/had what's called WPW, or Wolff Parkinson White Syndrome. After being cardioverted I was shipped off to another hospital where an...
  12. StevenZ

Sonneteer Orton

Well folks, I took the plunge and ordered a Sonneteer Orton. I'm not too sure what to expect but I am very excited. This will be my first piece of British Hifi and I've got my hopes up pretty high. With any luck it should ship today and arrive on Friday. I'll be using the Orton on my Mark...
  13. StevenZ

Wharfedale Jade 3's on the way!

Well, after reading a recent review of the Wharfedale Jade 3's in Stereophile (please don't hate), I decided to pop for a new pair of bookshelf speakers. They are perfectly sized to fit on my existing Sound Anchor stands and for now I will be powering them with a Sony STR-DB930 in 2ch analog...
  14. StevenZ

Strange Sennheiser Commercial

I'm not sure if this has been posted before, but I find this commercial very odd. Funny, yes. But odd. hahaha -Z http://9gag.tv/p/a9OpYb/sennheiser-s-new-headphones-ad-is-the-weirdest-commercial-ever
  15. StevenZ

StevenZ's big leap into triodes (300B SET)

So here it is. I've been waiting 4 long months for both pieces to be completed and just this morning I was finally sent completion photos of what will become my new centerpieces in my system. Both of these pieces were built by Twin Audio in China. Tony of Twin Audio told me that both of...
  16. StevenZ

Picking a speaker to build for 300B SET

Hey folks, I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out which speaker I'd like to build to mate with my 300B SET amp. I have a few options and I was hoping some of you guys could extend an opinion on which you'd choose or what else you could recommend that isn't listed. So here it goes. 1...
  17. StevenZ

baco99: Good seller

Bought a pair of Morel 12" coaxial drivers from baco99 and they arrived as described. Great doing business with you, James and thanks for the smooth transaction. Cheers, Steven
  18. StevenZ

Scott1019 - One of the best!

Just wanted to give a HUGE thanks to Scott1019. I bought a Sony STR-DB930 from him last week and it arrived in perfect condition. Great packing job, fast shipping and the item is exactly as described. Quite simply this thing sound so damn good that I'm scratching my head and wondering if he...
  19. StevenZ

Job 225 by Goldmund

Well folks, as of late I've been turned onto this amplifier. Job 225 is made by Goldmund and is available for quite a good price considering the cost of it's parent company's gear. http://www.jobsys.com/products.htm There seems to be a few good reviews for this interesting amplifier...
  20. StevenZ

Room Correction & Dipoles

Okay, so I'm curious here. Is it possible to use room correction from such a device as the DSPeaker Antimode with dipole speakers? What exactly is gained by doing so, if it's possible. If it's not possible, please explain why as well. Sorry if this is a stupid question. Cheers, Steven...
  21. StevenZ

StevenZ's Custom ElectraFidelity 300B

So, about a month ago I contacted Jack Elliano of ElectraPrint and asked him to build me a 300B integrated amplifier. He had Tony Chipelo, his salesman, contact me and we discussed pricing, options, etc. and we settled on the amplifier you see below. This is their standard steel chassis with...
  22. StevenZ

USB to Coaxial recommendations

Hey folks, I'd like to find a reasonably priced USB to coaxial converter. I know Musical Fidelity sells the V-Link, but are they any other viable options? I see a ton of USB to coax converters on ebay, some claiming to use the XMOS chip. Does anyone have any experience with these or any other...
  23. StevenZ

StevenZ's Omega 7 Alnico build

Hey folks, just thought I'd start a thread in anticipation of the arrival for my new Omega 7" Alnico drivers. I placed the order earlier this morning and was told that they will ship tomorrow. I'm looking forward to hearing this driver with my tube setup and diving back into the wonderful...
  24. StevenZ

The Amazing Duo - Inspire by Dennis Had

Hey folks, just thought I'd start a thread for these amazing pieces and give a few details about each. Dennis sells these hand built units on ebay ever week or every other week as he finishes each unit. Up first is the magnificent KT "Hot-Rod" amplifier. This amplifier is a Single Ended...
  25. StevenZ

Speaker Coatings - Help Needed

So I had plans to use veneer on my current speaker build but I noticed at the last minute that the front baffle needs a nice sized round over. This throws my veneering out of the equation since I lack the skills to round the veneer over and onto the sides, tops, and bottoms. The front baffle...
Back
Top Bottom