Search results

1. captrockstar

Pioneer PL-41 restoration coming along but a few issues

These old pioneer turntables are built like tanks! I've seen them online for years and never gave them much thought. It wasn't until I had one in front of me that I realized the build quality. Even though this one I'm working on was beat to hell, I could see that it deserved a restoration! The...
  2. captrockstar

Success! Thanks again :thumbsup: Hope to finish applying the veneer on the edges and sides today.
  3. captrockstar

Awesome! Many thanks to you both!
  4. captrockstar

I was able to clean out the bearing well and spindle of all the old grease and gunk. I placed a new thrust pad and o-ring and re-lubed and all is good! A new stylus arrived for the original Pioneer plc9 cartridge and when tested on this turntable, the left channel still is not working. I took...
  5. captrockstar

Well I tried the torch and it still did not seem to budge so I filled a small cap with PB Blaster and submerged it up past the the cap overnight. When I tried again this morning, It was still seized up but I was able to slightly turn it before I got more resistance and couldn't loosen anymore...
  6. captrockstar

I did clean all the din connections with contact cleaner but will double check. Fire! Lol I had not thought of using a Torch to loosen the thrust cap. When all else fails..... Thanks for the input!
  7. captrockstar

A friend of mine had a Pioneer PL-41 buried deep in a shipping container for years. There was moisture damage inside and he dug everything out and was throwing out a lot of things, including this Pioneer turntable. I told him I would take it and maybe see if I can get it going although I have...
  8. captrockstar

Yamaha NS-670's speaker project

Thank you. I'm beyond pleased with the way they turned out. They were seriously beat up when I found them so looking and listening to them now puts a smile from ear to ear on my face.
  9. captrockstar

Thanks! I agree, the NS-670s are great sounding speakers! I have other speakers that I have spent a lot more money on that just don't seem to do it for me like these Yamahas do.
  10. captrockstar

Hard to believe this was a year ago that I started this project and thread! Since then, I moved again and my father had another stroke so this speaker restoration got put on the back burner until this past week. I ended up using the original crossovers instead of using the tri-amp crossovers...
  11. captrockstar

Help needed - voltage of Technics SP-10mkIII

Please disregard. The DC motor will run on whatever voltage the power supply is. ;)
  12. captrockstar

Help needed - voltage of Technics SP-10mkIII

I was hoping if someone could help me in how to find out if a Technics SL-10mkIII turntable ( not power supply/controller) is a 100v or 120v version. Would the serial number help reveal this? I have an opportunity to get a MKIII that does not have the power supply and there is no sticker or...
  13. captrockstar

When I glued the veneer to the fronts and it was setup, I could tell by feel where the openings were for the drivers and took a brand new razor blade and made an X in the centers and carefully made my way to the edges. I then just used the edge as a guide with the razor and cut out in sections...
  14. captrockstar

Thanks! I have the same feeling about these speakers, keepers for sure!
  15. captrockstar

Thank you! I have definitely took my time with these.... didn't want to rush and make mistakes. Even as careful as I was, unfortunately there are a few small imperfections but they are hardly noticeable. I am really digging the color too! This has been a fun project so far.
  16. captrockstar

I've never actually heard the NS 1000's for comparison, but I believe it. These 670's sounded so good to me, I just had to restore the cosmetics to match the sound quality!
  17. captrockstar

I went with light walnut. It still has a reddish hue to it and since a lot of the vintage amps I own have walnut cases, I thought it would match with them the best. Now allowing time to dry before the seal coat. I think they are turning out pretty nice considering this is my first go at...
  18. captrockstar

The piece in the upper top is the dark walnut, the smaller piece on the bottom is the light walnut. The dark is definitely a no go. I do like the light walnut. Also the sealer I will be applying after the stain is amber colored. Curious to see the results after the shellac.
  19. captrockstar

I I thought the reddish stain would look good but you only have one shot once the stain is on so trying to get opinions. I just got back from the hardware store with some light walnut and dark walnut stain. Will be testing scraps of each to make sure.
  20. captrockstar

Just finished putting walnut veneer on these speakers, sanded, and now ready for stain. Tested a scrap piece of veneer with Cabernet color stain....what do you all think? Too red?
  21. captrockstar

It usually is slim pickings these days, but I got lucky on these!
  22. captrockstar

Have you tri-amped your NS-690'S before?
  23. captrockstar

It was deceiving at first when I went to pick them up. I was not expecting a speaker of that size to be that heavy! They are very solid and will be keepers for sure when I'm done.
  24. captrockstar

I recently picked up a pair of Yamaha NS-670 speakers at a local thrift store. I was aware of this series from Yamaha, but never saw or listened to a pair before. The first thing I noticed was how heavy and well built the enclosures were! They were beat up with scratches and a few broken grill...
  25. captrockstar

My SP-10MKII in all its glory!

Its the Technics EPA-100. :thumbsup:
Back
Top Bottom