Search results

1. Obankenobi

JBL 044Ti Replacement

I've had a pair of JBL 240Ti's for about a decade now, and really enjoy them. Early on I spent some time and money rebuilding the crossovers with new components, and the speakers took a great sonic leap forward to my ears. But I've been plagued with a recurring problem: failing 044Ti tweeters...
  2. Obankenobi

Hafler PH60B Phono Stage

Just ordered one of these up. Looking forward to trying it out, comparing to my Hypnotoad AD797... and probably modding it. Anyone have one? Op amps are blacked out in this pic, but I'm assuming they're two gain stages of dual/stereo chips. Don't know what the lower row of FET's are for
  3. Obankenobi

Tube Noob + PrimaLuna Dialogue 3 preamp gain question

So I recently upgraded from a pair of bridged 400WPC NAD solid state amps to a Primaluna DiaLogue preamp and 500WPC Nord monoblocks. Overall I'm very pleased with the new setup, but for one thing: to get to my typical Weekend Cranking Session Volume, about 95 dB peaks, I have to crank the...
  4. Obankenobi

Nikko NR-1019: Inspiration and Imitation

So I was shopping around for a decent power vintage receiver to further warp my son-in-laws brain and get him into old HiFi gear. Saw a Nikko receiver on the Bay, but had never heard of the brand. I did some Googling and saw this great pic of one from somebody's who's obviously very good with...
  5. Obankenobi

JBL L110 Wrenching

Thanks to very nice fellow AK'er in the east bay, I just landed these beautiful JBL L110's. I plan on replacing the grille cloth (just because), sanding and oiling the cabinets, and recapping the XO's. Does anyone have experience with popping the plastic grille frames apart?
  6. Obankenobi

Need a favor from a Sansui SR-929 owner

The little cable for horizontal tracking force that is held on by two clips has gone missing from my deck - I suspect a cat or feather duster. Could another owner measure the distance of this cable between the clips so I can make a replacement? Thanks very much in advance -
  7. Obankenobi

Aussie 220V/50Hz turntable for US 110v/60Hz power - hosed?

So I'm interested in a Micro Seiki BL-91 for sale in Australia. Its a 220V 50 Hz unit for that market. I could buy a 220V-110V step down transformer here, but that wouldn't change the frequency. Is there no fix for this, short of a new motor or pulley - both of which are probably unobtanium...
  8. Obankenobi

Sansui SR-929 Just In - Rickety Tonearm?

Just unboxed a new-to-me Sansui SR-929. Its fresh out of the bubble wrap, and >phew< looks like it made the journey OK. One thing I immediately noticed, however, is that the tonearm at the gimbal is rickety - downright loose - in every axis. Its described as a knife edge design in...
  9. Obankenobi

Awesome speakers - One-off Altecs?

Watching a show with a friend called Japanology on Japanese culture, this is from the episode Cafes. They highlight a cafe all about classical music, and I see these beauties: Guessing these are one-offs built with Altec components? The slatted, vented cabinets and sculpted baffles are...
  10. Obankenobi

Carver Receiver Cry for Help - Relay Mystery

The more I get into this DIY gear hobby, the more I lessons I learn. This one was simple: If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It! Ever since I played with a few in my high school days working at a pawn shop, I've wanted a Carver Receiver. Remodeled my garage last year and figured I'd use one...
  11. Obankenobi

Retip bummer, on to the next cartridge?

Guess I'm just griping a little here - not too long ago I was telling my friends how happy I was with my setup, enjoying the heck out of my listening sessions, cranking it until I figured the neighbors would come knocking - and I live on half an acre. Had my Denon DL-103 retipped by...
  12. Obankenobi

Any reason not to use Elna Silmics in XO's?

I'm looking at crossovers for B&W DM330's, which use electrolytic 70uF's for their woofer circuits. The stock Alcaps are only rated for 70V. If I replace with fresh 'lytics, is there anything wrong with using 100V Elna Silmics? They're radial mount, but a hot glue gun would fix them where I...
  13. Obankenobi

Preamplifier with LDR volume & remote?

Brainstorming here, trying to work out a vision of my next system: I'm all solid state now, but am thinking that a pair of tube monoblock amps could be a very cool thing. One thing holding me back - I'd like a preamp as "pure" as the amps - simple but high quality circuitry. Since I like to...
  14. Obankenobi

First veneer project - JVC QL-7

So, I'm barely into my own first turntable and I've taken on another project: putting together a deck for my son-in-law. He's shown interest in vinyl and HiFi, and what better than to help turn on the next generation to our glorious, addictive and rewarding hobby? I was inspired by another...
  15. Obankenobi

1979-ish Grace MC Phono Stage - any info?

Had a great listening session with a friend the other evening, reveling in the sonics of the Hypnotoad MC phono stage I just put together. Friend says - "hey, I think I still have mine from college - I gotta try to find it!" After Thanksgiving dinner, he whups out this cool-looking Grace MC...
  16. Obankenobi

Lining/stuffing/something JBL monitors - JBL 4410

Just completed a recap of my new-to-me JBL 4410's. Upon initial auditioning, they seemed very weak in bass for the 10" woofers. When I disassembled them they seemed pretty weak in the fiberglass department as well. The pads that typically cover the XO's were scrunched around the top of the...
  17. Obankenobi

Yanked out 035TIA tweeter lead, any suggestions?

I hate it when something like this happens :-( Got a pristine pair of JBL 4410's off the 'Bay, did some initial A/B'ing with my 240Ti's, and decided to recap. Woofers were recently refoamed, looks like a pro job, and all drivers are pristine and original - not a single dent or ripple on the...
  18. Obankenobi

What are some good looking components?

I'm shopping for a preamp/CD player combo (have an amp already in mind), and this time I want components that look good as well as sound good. I've had a NAD C372 and 542 for a decade - no complaints about the sonics, but they're nothing I really feel like showing off. I think I'm...
  19. Obankenobi

JBL 044Ti Tweeter Repair... well, almost

So I was having a near religious experience listening to my 240Ti's one night when I started hearing distortion in one channel. I pulled the midrange and tweeter, ran sweeps through them with the iFrequency app on my iPhone (thanks Zonker) and sure enough, it was the 044Ti. Sounds like...
  20. Obankenobi

There's the JBL L80T >> T3 upgrade

and then there's the T3 >> Jantzen upgrade. Superiors for the signal paths of the mid & tweet, Standard & Cross Caps for the shunts, Audio Cap Thetas for the bypasses. Now - to see how the owner of the L80T's like the change...
  21. Obankenobi

Replacement tonearm rest -Denon DP-1200

Hello all. The plastic clip that is supposed to flex and hold the tonearm on my deck just broke... what happened to the "flex" part??:saywhat: Rest mounts on a steel spindle, screws tight. Anybody know if replacement rests are out there, or another universal type rest would work? I've...
  22. Obankenobi

No wonder it took me so long to find "CD Players"!

never figured to look for a separate "21st Century" section to get information on CD players - probably the most common audio source for most AK members. Just wondering - why?? The digital audio disc was introduced by Sony in 1976, CD introduced in 1982 - very 20th century. Thomas Edison...
  23. Obankenobi

Headshell ID?

Talk about a nice guy - told a friend of mine I was shopping for a TT and getting back into vinyl and he brings over his Denon SP-1200 that's been in storage for years and a couple crates of records. He did some cool tweaking to the Denon in his bachelor years - about 5 pounds of damping putty...
  24. Obankenobi

Recommendations for TT's for a guy who knows nuttin'

Howdy all. I grew up with my parents' records, and had a small collection with some MFSL's in college (that I sold for CD's, hang-head-in-shame) and am now kind of curious to give vinyl another, er, spin. So I'm going to start searching Craigslist and eBay for turntables, and would love some...
  25. Obankenobi

Coils and Resistance - JBL

So, let's say I'm foolish enough to buy new coils for the woofer circuit in my JBL 240Ti's because I think I'm going to hear some sonic improvement. Is there any difference between, say, a 3.0mH coil with 5.1 ohms resistance, and a 3.0mH coil with 0.1 ohms resistance with an inline, 5.0 ohm...
Back
Top Bottom