Search results

1. gmann77

My first Polk speakers

Found a pair of Polk Audio speakers today. There are no model numbers on the back, so I could use a hand from the Polk experts in identifying them. Did I do okay, or did I strike out?
  2. gmann77

My First Quad Receiver

The title looks like one appropriate for a grade school assignment, but I digress... Yesterday, a former co-worker and fellow music geek invited me over to his place to hang out, listen to some tunes over a couple of beers...and oh yeah, present me with a "gift". I wasn't sure what to expect...
  3. gmann77

Vinyl/Gear Score

Mama, I think I hit the motherlode! :banana: A co-worker who knows of my interest in all things audio recently asked me to check out some gear a college radio station was sending to the dumpster. While some of it was diagnostic equipment or components I couldn't use, I did walk away with a...
  4. gmann77

ID this speaker

I was looking for speakers for a second system, and found a pair of two-ways at GW for $10. Fairly heavy duty cabinets, too. An online search for "Hopkins-Smith" turned up nothing. The innards appears to be in good shape. Any info available on these? Inquiring minds want to know. :D EDIT: Just...
  5. gmann77

Bought a Pilot console

During a recent browsing of CL, I came across a Pilot AF-825 with the corresponding amp and speaker. As the photos show, the original owner built a custom cabinet that was part of a floor-to-ceiling room partition. It's nice enough that I don't have the heart to tear it apart. :yes: I'm loving...
  6. gmann77

Be Bop Deluxe/Bill Nelson

I've been listening to some BBD albums that I picked up recently. What an intriguing band! Their sound veers from what my ears hear as prog-influenced pop to glam rock to new wave, but always includes some tasty guitar licks from Mr. Nelson. :thmbsp: Prior to giving these a spin, I only knew of...
  7. gmann77

Obscure rockabilly record?

During a recent thrift store visit, I spotted this: Skimming through the liner notes, I learned that this guy gigged around Missouri and Arkansas in the late 50's/early 60's. The album was apparently released on a Memphis label in the 70's. A quick online search revealed little about the...
  8. gmann77

How not to post on CL.

Noticed this while browsing CL today. Why do I get the feeling that the seller doesn't know much about their gear? :D http://columbus.craigslist.org/atq/3539085610.html Pics could be better, too. You be the judge.
  9. gmann77

Home recording discs?

Does anyone else on AK collect home recording discs, the pre-magnetic tape option that was commonly used during the 1940's and 50's? Since I returned to vinyl a couple of years ago, I've begun picking up the occasional Recordio disc or AudioDisc that pops up at yard sales and flea markets. While...
  10. gmann77

Pioneer CS30A: Opinions?

I recently came across a pair of gently used CS30A's, and simply had to have them based on their looks alone. I've taken them for a test drive and am liking what I hear. That said, I've had little luck in finding info on these and would appreciate some input concerning their performance. In your...
  11. gmann77

Roger McGuinn

Anybody else into Roger's solo output? As much as I like The Byrds, I've never bothered to check it out. Until now. While browsing the discounted vinyl at my favorite used records shop, I recently came across a copy of his "Back From Rio" album. I'd heard some good things about it in the past...
  12. gmann77

KLH Model 6: Deal or No Deal?

I happened upon a decent-looking pair of Model 6 speakers today, but had no way to test 'em. The owner was willing to part with them for $50. Assuming these are functioning properly, is that a fair price? I already have a pair of 22's that I still enjoy, but would like to know how they compare...
  13. gmann77

King Crimson for Beginners

I've been thinking about taking the plunge and investigating KC for a while now. Don't know why I haven't already, but I suppose my punk roots made me reluctant to get involved with anything remotely "progressive". :D That said, where's a good place for a novice to start? For the purposes of...
  14. gmann77

Multi-cassette changer: Is it worth my time?

During my most recent visit to a local thrift store, I noticed a Pioneer multi cassette changer sitting among the typical used gear. I don't know that I need a deck with a capacity for six cassettes, but I'm curious just the same. Anybody have experience with one of these? I didn't get the model...
  15. gmann77

A system I've cobbled together over the past year

My listening room/office is not the most spacious, but it does the trick. Hence, the individual pics of my components. My trusty Pioneer RT-701 with a Harman/Kardon Citation I preamp. Onkyo T-4055 receiver. A Dynaco ST 80 amp resides in the lower compartment of my combination...
  16. gmann77

Sold state + tubes = Need some advice

Solid state + tubes = Need some advice Perhaps you gents can dish out some wisdom for this newbie. I recently picked up a nice Onkyo T-4055 receiver, which I plan to use as part of an all-vintage component system that I'm in the process of piecing together. While I must find a suitable amp and...
  17. gmann77

A belated introduction from Canton, Ohio

Hi all, newbie audio geek here. I've always had an interest in vintage electronics, but until relatively recently didn't have a means or space to support such a hobby. I've begun checking out the thrift shops and yard sales for old radios and console stereos, much to the chagrin of my wife. :D...
  18. gmann77

GE Console purchase

Picked up a *very* nice looking GE console today at a garage sale for the grand sum of $25. The picture linked below is not of my unit, but is identical other than mine having a reel to reel unit. http://www.flickr.com/photos/momtothemom/3520058673/ Looks like my wimpy GE console from '69...
  19. gmann77

Need help identifying this console

I've come across a Blaupunkt console stereo that I may have to have, but need more info before I can make a decision. The current owner can't/won't tell me the model number. A search of radiomuseum.org has proved fruitless, so can anybody lend a hand in nailing down an i.d. for this unit? Here's...
  20. gmann77

Preamp question

An old Harmon Kardon Citation I recently came into my possession. Any opinions about this piece of gear? I'm a relative newbie to the vintage audio scene, so I'm trying to deteremine what, if any use I have for it.
  21. gmann77

RTR score!

This past weekend an old friend asked me to help evaluate a late family member's estate. It turns out that the deceased owned a small audio production business and did most of his work from a basement studio. My buddy informed me that I could buy anything I was interested in, with the rest of...
  22. gmann77

Question about a Zenith console

Not sure if this is this place to ask this, but y'all can forgive a newbie's ignorance, right? :-) This week I bought an old Zenith stereo console for $5. It's a model MK2608, placing it 'round about 1962/63. The cabinet and tuner are in great shape. However, the previous owner removed the...
Back
Top Bottom