Search results

1. Scarberian

Wharfedale Owners Thread

In honour of GangTwanger, who loved his pair of W90 , here is your chance to own a pair. Seen today Nov 20 2023 on ebay, and titled, for your search; "VINTAGE SPEAKERS. WHARFEDALE W90 W/SAND FILLED BAFFLES LOCAL PICKUP" They are in Grindstone PA., start bid $400 , and must be picked up. The...
  2. Scarberian

Potentiometer Wharfedale W90

I rescued my lpads when I restored my W90. A thorough cleaning in isopropyl alcohol with numerous flushes got the fluffy white corrosion off. Use gloves as that is some kind of metal oxide and likely toxic. Then I oiled them with deoxit lube. If you need new lpads, they are available , as...
  3. Scarberian

Impressive Wharfedale Dovedale 3 Speakers

Can you provide details on the surrounds and where to source them?
  4. Scarberian

Wharfedale Owners Thread

The pots are L-pads, and are likely not available as per many owners before you. They work different from a potentiometer. BEWARE the white dust on those pots. ITS TOXIC (Cadmium oxide) Wear gloves and a mask when working with them. I saved mine by unsoldering them and soaking in 99%...
  5. Scarberian

Wharfedale Owners Thread

Yes, I think so. In my experience with Rosedales from the 70s and W90 from 1960, the chalk writing on the back of the cones does match up with the time a given model was made. My guess is the factory made a unit (woofer, mid-range or tweeter) and dated it for inventory and production control...
  6. Scarberian

Wharfedale Owners Thread

I see a pair of W70 are available on Ebay. They have grills and style of badge just like my W90 and mine have sand filled backs and are from 1960. So first in the series They are in Sacremento. I am in Toronto, and have no affiliation to seller. Just an FYI to anyone wanting some nice W70...
  7. Scarberian

What brand is your main receiver?

Pioneer SX-1050 . Internally restored by D 'n A Audio in Kitchener Ontario. Image is as found. Just a little dusting and its a 10 to look at.
  8. Scarberian

Looks alone: Best looking equipment?

The silver face Pioneers are beautiful in a robust 70s way. Solid billet knobs and wood sides. Really like my SX1050. However.... Born in the fat 50s this early 1960s white faced Sherwood 8000 III is my top esthetic choice. Bask in its gold chrome accented glory. The ivory controls and...
  9. Scarberian

Wharfedale Owners Thread

A pair of W70d have come up on that auction site. They are in Pennsylvania. Not mine but if you are yearning for a pair, these look nice. The cabinets look a lot like my rosedales, which are 3 ways. The w70d are 4 ways. These cabinets are real wife pleasers, if that helps. Sand filled backs ...
  10. Scarberian

What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

Easy listening jazz from 1956. In mono no less. Love the write up on how it was made. Note they used McIntosh to power the playback. Pass the martinis.
  11. Scarberian

Buying via HiFi Do in Japan

Remarkable! A treat to read. I have often wondered how much risk there is in getting things shipped from Japan . Now I know. Thanks AKers.
  12. Scarberian

Wharfedale W70 v.s. W70B/C/D/E

The Rosedales I have do have a paper tube over the mids. The tube is topped by open cell foam. Woofers marked 6/72/12 so I am guessing they were made in 1972.
  13. Scarberian

Wharfedale W90 question..

Look on the back of the speaker cones. You will see white characters hand written . They give a clue to the date . So, if you see for example, 9/62 that means September 1962. The dates on the speakers will be prior to the cabinet manufacture which makes sense. The tweeters may differ from the...
  14. Scarberian

Can't get back panel back on Wharfedale w70 speaker

The panels can expand with moisture, or the cabinet shrink with dry air. Either way, they are a tight fit. This worked for my W90 when I recapped them and the panels were being difficult to replace. Put some furniture wax on the mating edges, both panel and cabinet. This should help them slide...
  15. Scarberian

Wharfedale W90 acquisition - help needed

The two L-pads should be identical, so a difference in measurement should not be. They are intended to alter mid-range and tweeters output while keeping the impedance constant, so it makes sense that if the extremes are different, the output will be too. Try cleaning them. When I got mine, the...
  16. Scarberian

Technics SL-1200G announced.

How many minutes till one of those 300 goes on sale on ebay? Just looked, and nothing. so I guess the Japanese buyers are keeping them for now.
  17. Scarberian

Wharfedale Owners Thread

The W90 have a clarity that is impressive. Their bigness translates to the sound, and they project that "you are there' illusion. The Rosedales are a little woolly in the bottom end, but overall have a very enjoyable mellowness. Keep in mind this is on two separate systems and rooms, and not in...
  18. Scarberian

Son of a Sex Pistol to burn $7mil of punk memorabilia

I wouldn't call it destruction of wealth necessarily. Its only real value is to collectors. If no one cared, what would be its true value. A bunch of posters, and such. Very little value to a recycler. So burn it, and deny the world of the future these examples of what punk was, and there will...
  19. Scarberian

Wharfedale Owners Thread

Your woofer shows 4/69 so made April 1969. They look identical to mine, but mine show 6/72/12 on the woofer so that's June 1972. Quite a run unchanged, at least from the outside. Your crossover has some differences, but what didn't change was the old Elcap capacitors. You'll want to replace...
  20. Scarberian

Respect For The Guess Who

Randy Bachman DOES have a very fine radio show, and you can hear podcasts of it here; http://www.cbc.ca/vinyltap/episodes/ I think you'll dig it.
  21. Scarberian

I'm looking at a ebay 598III and wonder do you have suggestions I can give to the seller about...

I'm looking at a ebay 598III and wonder do you have suggestions I can give to the seller about packing it.
  22. Scarberian

Wharfedale Owners Thread

I too had a rattle in a w90. It would present whenever some low frequency played. I found the problem to be the nuts that hold the speaker in place had vibrated loose. I carefully tightened them, and the rattle is gone. I might suggest some locktite to ensure they stay locked in place. Hope this...
  23. Scarberian

Record Cleaning: Developing the Best Possible Methods

big fan of the Osage brushes. They allow you to use surface tension to float the liquid around the surface, will not scratch, and last a lifetime Found here...
  24. Scarberian

Do we care about the Grammys?

I watched, hoping to find some gem of a musician to enjoy. What I got was a lot of mainstream, and little new. The Lady GAGA tribute was showmanship and innovative staging effects, so that was excellent. Truth be told, Alabama shakes and the eagles , and Bonny Raitte were all I knew. So here is...
Back
Top Bottom