Search results

1. toroechado

Onkyo a809 integrated amp

I just fixed one of these. It's fine, a decent amp, nothing to call home about.
  2. toroechado

Why can't any amp drive any load at low volume? Or can it?

I think that to the amp to send a lot of current there need to be a voltage (signal) level to maintain. And if it’s within it’s capacity, and according to my calculations it is, there should not be any problem. But something tells me that it’s not that simple. Infinity Kappas are super low...
  3. toroechado

Why can't any amp drive any load at low volume? Or can it?

Hi to all! Sory if this is too technical but I was bench testing an amp that was capable of delievering 33 V into 4 ohm load. According to my calculations, that is 272.25 watts (P=V^2/R). There should be 8.25 amps (I=V/R). Nice. Now the question. What if I have a nasty speaker thad drops to 1...
  4. toroechado

Harman Kardon HK770 Thread

I think it’s not possible.
  5. toroechado

Harman Kardon HK770 Thread

Hi! These are my HK 775 monoblocks and the rest of the series except the preamp. The power amps were restored and upgraded with non electrolytic caps where possible. I really like them. The volume pot of the preamp drifted it's value and caused a very nociceable channel imbalance so I replaced...
  6. Harman Kardon HK 775

Harman Kardon HK 775

7. IMG_5671

IMG_5671

8. toroechado

Preamp recomendation Rotel maybe or...?

Hi! I'm looking to upgrade my preamp. I currently have a Parasound P3, although happy whith the sound it has bad S/N ratio, i can hear the hiss in the background when close to the speakers... and as you know, once you hear it, you can't unhear it... My requirements are: -Digitaly controlled...
  9. toroechado

What do these caps do in the circuit? Worth replacing?

Thanks! So the best option is to replace them by high quiality low ESR electrolytics? No point in going film?
  10. toroechado

What do these caps do in the circuit? Worth replacing?

Greetings to all! I'm upgrading a pair por Harman Kardon HK775 mono amps and I'm replacing the caps in the sgnal path with Wima caps. Is it woth replacing the caps I mark on the schematic too? What do they do? I haven't seen caps like these in other amps I've worked in and not sure if worth...
  11. toroechado

Pioneer SA-1000 Hum help

If there is AC on the chassis post and there is continuity between it and the volume pot ground there should be AC on it too, right? I'm thinking it was an electromagnetic induction problem but could be wrong.
  12. toroechado

Pioneer SA-1000 Hum help

Someone messed with it before. I'm going to fully recap it next.
  13. toroechado

Pioneer SA-1000 Hum help

Solved! The ground wire of the control amp board was soldered to a ground connector in the downside of the amp just where the negative wires of the transformer are connected. I changed it to the ground in the small volume pot board and the hum is gone. It's very strange because if you measure...
  14. toroechado

Pioneer SA-1000 Hum help

Thanks! I checked grounds and they seem ok. I traced down the hum to the control amp board. If I bypass it (connecting the signal wires that should go into it directly to the filter unit) or cut the power to it, the amp is quiet. Could be the caps in it? May the input jfets be bad?
  15. toroechado

Pioneer SA-1000 Hum help

Anyone?
  16. toroechado

Pioneer SA-1000 Hum help

Hi! I'm troubleshooting a Pioneer SA-1000 with a nasty HUM in both speakers. Here's what I know: -The hum is volume knob position dependent. -It increases dramatically when selecting phono input. -If I decouple the power amp section from pre amp, the hum goes away. I can use it with an...
  17. toroechado

Will my amps drive the legendary Kappa 9's?

I’d say they run on the warm side. They usually keep the same temperature when working hard than when idling, I cant’t tell any difference.
  18. toroechado

No, they are not rated at 2 ohms but the MC2002 that the original owner uses isn't either.
  19. toroechado

Hi! I have the opportunity to buy locally a pair of Kappa 9's in apparently good shape, but will my pair of Harman Kardon HK775 monoblocks drive them? The original owner uses a Mcintosh MC2002 with good results. For those who don't know these amps, are rated at 130 W into 8 ohms and 260 into 4...
  20. toroechado

Substitute for thermal tracking transistor

It is a Harman Kardon HK775 mono amp. It's the transistor attached to the main heatsink.
  21. toroechado

Substitute for thermal tracking transistor

Hi! I accidentally broke one leg of the thermal tracking transistor in my amp. It is a 2SD467 and it's not available any more. What could I use instead of it? Thanks!
  22. toroechado

Harman Kardon HK705 adjutment

Hi to all! I'm looking to adjust the output level of the left side of my Harman Kardon HK705 cassette deck because it sounds louder than the right side with any tape I try, even with tapes recorded in this same deck. You can see the uneven levels in the meters too. Does anybody have the...
  23. toroechado

What were the first 5 songs you played on your speakers?

I only remember the first two: Mahler 3rd symphony with the Royal Concertgebow and Riccardo Chailly and Beethoven 5th with Simon Rattle and the Vienna Philharmonic.
Back
Top Bottom