Search results

1. TT-newbie

Thorens TD125Mkii speed problem

I have recapped my TD 125 and installed a new plinth. The turntable looks good and sounds very nice as well. However, lately it developed a strange problem. In the middle of play, sometimes the turntable stopped, but the strobe light still on. If I turned off the table and turned back on, it...
  2. TT-newbie

Denon sound vs others

Like many inmates, I have a few sets of amplifiers to rotate with. After building a home theater at home, I installed a two channel system just for music. For the amplifier, I used Denon POA 2800 with Denon AVP-5000 preamplifier. The sources are a media player with removable hard drive and...
  3. TT-newbie

The rebirth of Celestion SL6S

I have a pair of SL6S which has developed serious deterioration of rubber surrounds. Previous owner put some kind of coating on the rubber surrounds, eventually caused the rubber hardened and broken. The speakers have sit in storage for many years. Recently I have used up most of my speakers on...
  4. TT-newbie

Empire 598III wobbly platter

I am in process of putting an Empire 598III back in use. Since I am going to use it in 220V/50Hz environment, I changed pulley size to get it running at 33-1/3RPM. When I checked it with phone RPM app, I found it running at a speed variance of 33.1 to 33.3 RPM, a wow factor of 0.6%? It is quite...
  5. TT-newbie

Media Player to DAC signal delay

I am using Zidoo Z1000PRO media player to play movies with good results. Recently, I bought a new hard-drive and stored Hi-Res music files(WAV). I was not happy with Zidoo's music palyback through my 2 channel system. So I use its coaxial digital output to DAC of my Denon AVP-5000. While the...
  6. TT-newbie

Pulley size from 60Hz to 50Hz

I am converting an Empire 598 MKIII from 120/60Hz to 220V/50hz using a step down transformer. I realize that I need to increase the pulley diameter as using a 60Hz motor in 50Hz will cause the motor slow down. I read some posts online stating the motor will slow down 20%. But if I do a simple...
  7. TT-newbie

TD 125 speed problem

My TD 125 was working nicely after I refurbished it with a new plinth and dust cover. Yesterday, while I was listening to it, it suddenly slowed down. I rechecked the all trimpot adjustment and got all the voltages right. The speed strobe was steady at 33 rpm, but the turntable is only running...
  8. TT-newbie

Thorens TD 125 speed problem

My TD 125 was working nicely since I refurbished it with a new plinth and dust cover. Yesterday, while I was listening to it, it suddenly slowed down. I rechecked the all trimpot adjustment and got all the voltages right. The speed strobe was steady at 33 rpm, the turntable is only running at...
  9. TT-newbie

Philips AH-5781, weird problem with volume control

I have a set of Philips High Fidelity Laboratory units. The power amplifier AH-5781 developed a weird problem. When you turn on the unit, one channel sometimes will have no output. However, when you turn the volume control to maximum, the channel will suddemly come back and play normally. It...
  10. TT-newbie

Help on Thorens TP 16MKII

I have a TD-125 with later Thorens TP 16MKII. The previous owner probably scavenged parts he could find to put this table together. As it is shown in the picture, the TP-16MKII has MK1 counterweight on it. It is apprently too heavy. Can someone tell me what the correct weight is for MKII? I may...
  11. TT-newbie

Thorens TD 125 makeover--Covid-19 Project #3

After two projects of Paradigm 3SE Mini and Techinics SB-7000A, I recently started project #3,a cosmetically challenged TD 125. I got this unit free from a well respected AK member 8 years ago. It works but is in a sorry state with beat up plinth and heavily oxydized surfaces. I was planning to...
  12. TT-newbie

Recap of JBL 4408A, with doing it?

I have done recap on a few pairs of speakers. I am thinking about doing it on JBL 4408A. Today I took out the crossover and found crossover board very compact and congested with parts. I was planning to replace bipolar capacitors with Solen film capacitors. As showing in the picture, there will...
  13. TT-newbie

Technics SB-7000a (a SB-6000 upgraded Version) makeover-- Another Covid-19 project

I got this pair of Technics SB-6000 a couple of years ago. The previous owner told me that they were upgraded to SB-7000a. They sound very nice with my Denon POA 2800. I took drivers out and looked inside, it seems that they were done by some professional stores, all original drivers and...
  14. TT-newbie

Paradigm 3SE Mini makeover

As Covid-19 shuts down business for a while, I decide to do a few projects on my bucket list. The first one is a pair of Paradigm 3SE Mini that I got a few years ago at a local thrifty store for $5.99. As many inmates have echoed their opinions, they are really nice sounding speakers. They have...
  15. TT-newbie

Technics SB-7000A recap, film or bi-polar ecaps?

I am going to use a pair of SB-7000A for my new home overseas. Considering they are 1970s speakers, a recap is probably a good idea. Today I took the crossover out, and found the crossover quite complicated. It consists of 12 bi-polar ecaps. They range from 10uF-330uF! I was planning to use...
  16. TT-newbie

Tascam 112 MKII belt, needs help

I have a Tascam 112MKII which needs a belt. I am currently in China where there is no source for genuine Tascam belt. However, there are many places where I can buy generic tape record belts. Can someone tell me the width and length of the belt so that I can buy a generic one to fix the machine...
  17. TT-newbie

Sony Reel to Reel convert to 220V

I added a Sony TC-758 to my office setup. The machine is 120V North American version that I brought back to Asia where voltage is 220V. Currently I use a step down transformer with very good results. However, I would like to convert it to 220V so that someone won't accidentally plug it into 220V...
  18. TT-newbie

Need help on Teac 3340 Reel to Reel player

I bought a Teac 3340 locally with some issues. After spenging a few hours to fix the stuck pinch roller, the machine is playing nicely. However, the function of pause during recording is not working. When I tried to pause during recording, it would simply stop the machne. Trying to pause before...
  19. TT-newbie

C28 Volume Control, finally bit the bullet.

After so many years struggling with volume control of C28, I decided to buy Mcintosh after market volume control. It arrived today plus $57.00 brokerage fee from UPS!:(. For the price I paid, the part does not look well made. I am just hoping it will do the job and last so that I can enjoy my...
  20. TT-newbie

Martin Micro Max 110 from New Jersey

I passed by a community thrifty in a small city and saw a pair of Martin Micro Max speakers made by a company in New Jersey, NY. Speakers look very solidly made. The front grill is firmly fixed. I have no way to check the drivers. A quick check on internet shows that speakers are made in 70s and...
  21. TT-newbie

MC2105 meter light too dim

I have this MC2105 for 10 years and have replaced most E-caps and signal path capacitors based on inmates' suggestions. I love the sound but found meters too dim. They are merely visible during daylight. Initially I thought bulbs were too old, so that I changed all 4 bulbs behind meters with LED...
  22. TT-newbie

With aging ears, do we turn to Low-Fi now?

Having read a few posts lately regarding people having trouble hearing high frequency sound when they age, I am certainly on the same boat here. I did some hearing tests and found that I could only hear up to 10-12Khz these days, I think mostly because of working in noisy heavy industry at young...
  23. TT-newbie

Hitachi SR-903 protection light flashing

I have a Hitachi SR-903 receiver driving a pair of Paradigm 3SE mini in my bed room, which I am very happy with. It has a protection mode indicating light that will light up when the unit is turned on for few seconds and turn off when the relay kicks in. However, lately I found that the...
  24. TT-newbie

Denon AVP-5000 overload and white noise

With my C28 disabled and waiting for new volume pot, I replace it with Denon AVP-5000. I used an optical cable to connect CD player to DAC of Denon, phono amp to AUX since Denon has no phono input. The system seems working fine for two months. However, lately it developed a strange problem. When...
  25. TT-newbie

Ferrari red on a Thorens TD 125, a good idea?

I have two Thorens TD 125MKIIs. One has SME3009 improved and the other has TP-16MKII. Both are working fine. However, the wooden bases suffered usual wear and tear. The grey platter base and aluminum front panel look rather faded and tired. I did some search online, and it seems that TD 125...
Back
Top Bottom