Search results

1. HamDog

Just bought another MX-119 from e-bay...couldn't resist

Yup :-) Damn nice guy. Back in the 80's, I worked at a local shop. We carried NHT when they first came out and he was our rep! Small world..... Always a pleasure to meet good folks in the industry.
  2. HamDog

Thanks everyone. Hooked it up tonight and been enjoying it. I mainly use it's 5.1 analog input from my Oppo 105. This way, I can get Dolby Tru-HD and DTS-MA. I have a music server filled with 5TB of music files, many which are high resolution surround from SACD/DVD-A/Blu-Ray. One digital...
  3. HamDog

Took a chance and bid on this MX-119 at a very low price and won. The seller hand delivered it earlier today: Link to item on e-bay. MINT condition. No McIntosh haze behind the glass. Remote is mint and never used. Came with factory double boxes and sealed manual. Couldn't ask for more...
  4. HamDog

McIntosh MX121 vs MX150/151

You nailed it. The MX-150 digitizes all analog sources - there is no pure analog pass-through. So if a source has a digital output, it's better to use it even if that source has a better DAC than the MX-150. I'm in 100% agreement with you, but we are the minority. I have sound treatments in...
  5. HamDog

How to safely pack and ship used McIntosh

I've bought and sold dozens of different McIntosh units over the years. Even in new factory double boxes, I've had broken glass (only a couple of times). You never know how badly the shippers will treat your box. For added protection, I put the factory double box inside another bigger box...
  6. HamDog

Is McIntosh suffering McDonalds fate?

McIntosh is in the business of audio reproduction. This field has been changing drastically within the last decade and will continue to do so in the future. While the owners on this board are true enthusiasts, the majority of the owners are not enthusiasts. Lots of very wealthy people who...
  7. HamDog

C2300 hum from phono input

Ron, thank you for the input. Much appreciated. I'll have him do this test and report back. Good questions and I'll have him look into it. I do believe they are all connected to the same 3-prong outlet. I'll have him check the grounds. Thanks. Edit: twiiii, if there was a difference in...
  8. HamDog

Both channels.
  9. HamDog

Trying to help a friend long distance. So I'm not reporting this from first hand experience. The system consists of a MT10 turntable (MC cartridge), a C2300 (tube) pre-amp, and an MC 452 amp. There is a humming from turntable. More info: 1. Ground wire was not connected between C2300 and...
  10. HamDog

Dust behind the meter glass, but underneath the blue filters on the amp

I did a write up on the famous McIntosh haze a few years ago. Click here to go to it. Hope it helps!
  11. HamDog

Trade Bryston for McIntosh?

To me, this is HUGE! Not only that, but the warranty is TRANSFERABLE (with the sales receipt showing original purchase was from authorized dealer). This really help equipment retain their value in the secondary market. McIntosh also holds it's value very well because it's always in demand...
  12. HamDog

What I learned on Craigslist

If you hear the words "he puts the lotion in the basket".....run like hell!
  13. HamDog

What I learned on Craigslist

And here is their own e-bay listing to show a $1,000 price for some $20 white van scam: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Montage-Acousting-Systems-MODEL-BT-4480-NEW-/161597931505 I guess some people fall for this kind of scam.
  14. HamDog

A thread about cables for the discerning audiophile

Never heard of 8Audio before. Just checked out their site. Very low prices for such fancy looking cable! And they carry some neat toys (connectors, knobs, etc.) I'll have to order a few items from them and check it out in real life. Thanks for the referral!
  15. HamDog

Which internet radio station/stations will you recommend?

Radio Swiss Jazz I found this by recommendation from another AK'er some time ago. It's now my favorite.
  16. HamDog

B.B. King passes

I just heard. This weekend's music is all going to be BB King for me. May he rest in peace. The world will miss a great blues artist.
  17. HamDog

Getz/Gilberto Jazz Album.........?

I never listened to the album, but I have the SACD. Incredible imaging. The SACD is two channel. I have a 5.1 system. Everyone thinks Gilberto's voice is coming from the center. When I tell them it's 2-channel only, they have to walk up to the center channel to make sure it's not working...
  18. HamDog

Anybody else listen to music in 5.1?

All of my multi-channel files are FLAC. Some are DSD, but those are converted to PCM by Foobar before being passed on to my Oppo. The Oppo can't handle DSD through it's HDMI input (which I use). I know it can handle DSD through network - and I believe it can handle DSD in 2-channel through...
  19. HamDog

Absolutely! It can support most common types of music files such as FLAC and MP3 (along with others, but I don't have a list memorized). I believe you can even to DSD files. The MVP861, 871, and 881 have great DACs. If they only had some digital inputs! I really don't understand why...
  20. HamDog

So you're already very familiar with digital files! I keep my SACD rips in ISO as well. I use Foobar, but I also have and use Jriver as well. From your signature, I presume you mean your D100 is a better sounding DAC than your AV8003. Too bad McIntosh doesn't make anything like the D100 that...
  21. HamDog

Yes, you do. There are some options: 1. HDMI - Connect any computer directly to the receiver. Many people already have a home theater receiver or pre-amp processor with HDMI inputs. And most newer computers/laptops have HDMI output. You can then pass along the audio files from your...
  22. HamDog

need help with computer issue

And this is exactly why I don't build my own computers anymore. I used to manage an IT department for a medical company. They used to buy all of their computers from a local computer shop who built their own PC's. Our own techs were constantly busy troubleshooting intermittent issues - which...
  23. HamDog

Here's an unpopular thing to say: You can get a lot of the 5.1 high resolution music which is out of print from private torrent groups. I don't condone downloading and stealing from the artist or label, but since the vast majority of the SACD/DVD-A discs are out of print, they don't profit...
  24. HamDog

If you guys get a chance, listen to "Lazy" - from Deep Purple's Machine Head DVD-A disc in multichannel. It's my go-to demo. It will simply blow you away! And it just became available on SACD as well, but I haven't listened to that version yet as I don't have the disc. Also, Grover...
  25. HamDog

I love and PREFER 5.1 channel audio when available through SACD/DVD-A/Blu-Ray. Actually, my system was set-up with 5.1 channel high resolution audio as the primary purpose. This was done by using 5 identical full range speakers and a quality 5 channel amp (it's actually 7 channel amp, but I...
Back
Top Bottom