Search results

1. hibuckhobby

He’s baaaack…

After a long hiatus from posting (I think the last time was the Rectilinear hiboys I was refurbing) I’ve settled in now with a system I may just keep. I found a clean pair of Altec 846b Valencias the I’m driving with a Rogue rp-1 and a Primaluna prologue premium amp. I may upgrade one of my...
  2. hibuckhobby

New line up...well, some of it is new to me.

Did some buying and selling recently and ended up with gear I really like. Rogue RP-1 with MM/MC phono N.E.W. Class A amp Denon DP-47 with 103d cart Logitech Transporter into PS audio dac Marantz SA-14 cd player Rectilinear III’s recapped and refurbed with NOS midrange drivers Revel M20’s on...
  3. hibuckhobby

For Rectilinear III owners

I just found a source for AD5061 midrange drivers as well as a few tweeters. If you are restoring, let me know, I'll forward the info. Mine are almost done. One driver to go (on order) and new grill cloth and I'll be good to go. Hibuck….
  4. hibuckhobby

Picked up some Rectilinear III’s today

Not necessarily a SCROE, but a nice find nonetheless. Great cabinets, all drivers original except mids and no deep scratches or rings on veneer. Hoping to find some definitive values for cap replacement. Do resistors needreplacement as well? TIA, Hibuck...
  5. hibuckhobby

Almost reached escape velocity

hi all, Haven’t been around for awhile. Bought some Harbeth C7se3 speaks that I love and set aside my soldering iron in an effort to walk away from vintage gear. Last week came across a very clean pair of Rectilinear 3 highboys and the refurb and upgrade bug Has bitten again. I’m picking...
  6. hibuckhobby

Still got the sickness

Well, I thought I was done...I was wrong! I came across a pair of AudioQuest Nighthawks at a "too good to pass up" price and now they're burning in on my office system. I'm looking forward to what they will sound like, since they seem to be a fairlly polarizing can on other formums. I will...
  7. hibuckhobby

Might be just about done

After having owned a number of headphones and amps, I may be near the end of my search. I have two Decware units....a CSP2+ for high impedance cans and the Taboo II for the low impedance ones. I changed the cable on my HD700's to a homebrew I made with Canare cable and it sounds wonderful...
  8. hibuckhobby

Now I understand why people love Decware

I'll keep this short: I recently bought a Decware Taboo II with the Vcap upgrades and both lucid modes. It puts out about 2.3w into the headphone jack and 6 w into 8 ohm speakers. It is so natural and easy to listen to that at first I thought it was lacking in detail. Not so. It's like...
  9. hibuckhobby

Any JBL 100 guru's out there?

I have a very nice pair of L-100's with near perfect cabinets and one bad tweeter. One tweeter was replaced with a cloth dome tweeter of unknown origin. I have purchased a replacement Le-25, but don't know which terminal on the driver is positive. The original connectors were cut off of...
  10. hibuckhobby

L200 T3's, just had to have 'em

I won't even go into what I paid...let's just say it was NOT a "scroe". What I will say is I love the way they sound. They're a one-owner pair of JBL L200 T3 floorstanders in rosewood. I've had some pretty good stuff over the years from DQ-10's to Sonus Fabers and Ushers. All that said, I...
  11. hibuckhobby

Sad day...a friend of 14 years is failing

Our half deaf, half blind beagle who also is on medication for seizures has started to show signs of having small strokes. It's sad to watch her struggle to climb stairs and to at times start to howl with pain. We keep hoping she'll turn around, but if not, she's going to have to go to sleep...
  12. hibuckhobby

Sound quality differences: Pandora vs Slacker vs?

Ok...just ordered a touch (all your fault cubdog) and have been setting up my computer for when it gets here. My question is: Is there any sound difference on Pandora vs. Spotify...or Slacker..or?..
  13. hibuckhobby

2A3's and 300b's question

When looking for a some backup 2A3's for my amp, I saw some 300b's with "2.5v" requirements and the implication that they could be plugged into a 2A3 amp. Could they be used as direct replacements or would I have to do other things to the amp. It currently uses 4 2A3's with 2 per side in pp...
  14. hibuckhobby

new tubes in the house

Just picked up a Grant Fidelity (Yaquin) integrated with two pair of 2a3's in push pull configuration. Plenty of power for my Cornwalls (14wpc) and that gorgeous, spacious 2a3 sound. Takes a while to warm up and come online sound wise, but once there it's easy to see why people are enamored...
  15. hibuckhobby

Cornwall and Altec 846u comparison, five months in.

Just a few comments preceded by the usual disclaimers: It's all IMNSHO, and my experience in my room...etc. First of all, to say that it's would be hard for me to ever go away from higher efficiency, large driver speakers. There's something about the ease of reproduction and the ability to...
  16. hibuckhobby

Anyone else a Shawn Phillips fan?

Texas boy...did at least two albums. My fav is "Second Contribution". I've nearly worn out my copy. Hibuck...
  17. hibuckhobby

BBX+ARC+Cornwall=happy camper

I'll write a more detailed comment later, but let just say that I see why some Klipsch owners love the juicy music line of preamps. The Blueberry extreme plus an arc vt60 is making some beautiful right now. Nice phono stage too! Hibuck...
  18. hibuckhobby

I'm a fortunate man

About 6 weeks ago, I got a great deal on a clean pair of 1980 Cornwalls and have since tweaked the crossovers with Mundorf's and Clarity Caps. They just keep getting better. In my pursuit of this audio obsession, I've accumulated more gear than I can use, so I went down to the local Vintage...
  19. hibuckhobby

Cornwall observations...now it begins

When I picked up my pair of 1980 Cornwalls with B2 crossovers, I was surprised at how laid back they sounded in the midrange. Of course, after reading up a bit, I came to the conclusion that they probably need a recap. Interestingly, as I play them more, they seem to be opening up a bit...
  20. hibuckhobby

Cornwalls in the house

I just purchased a pair of CBR Cornwalls 1980 vintage from the original owner. He had put a maple stain on them, but it looks decent. Set them up in my audio room last night and spent about four hours listening. Bear in mind, this is in my room...with my tastes and preferences. Huge...
  21. hibuckhobby

Cornwalls on the way.

While not a "scroe"' I have a nice pair of 1980Cornwalls on the way. Heard them B4 I bought them. raw birch with a maple stain, screens real nice. Owner is delivering them. :banana:
  22. hibuckhobby

the 440mla vs. Shure Vxmr dilemma

OK...I already own both and have been swapping back and forth on my Rega P25. Silly me...I thought I would find a definitive winner. In my system...not so. Very similar gain, first of all and both are very quiet cartridges. The 440mla might even be a bit quieter...what noise I hear is not as...
  23. hibuckhobby

AT440mla arrived today

I saw them on Amazon for $99 so I decided to try one. I've been running a Shure Type Vxmr in my Rega P25 and after tweaking my JD9 a bit was pretty happy with it...but was curious. I know the 440 needs to break in for awhile...but here's my first impressions: It's fussy about setup. Get...
  24. hibuckhobby

Altec 846b's or Klipsch Cornwall's

Looking for some input/insight. Room is 14x23x7+ and front end is S.A.S 7a preamp driving the amp section of Rogue Tempest. Both digital and vinyl sources. Both speakers are available locally and the Cornwalls are about $300 cheaper than the Altecs. I've read threads...and will be...
  25. hibuckhobby

Great service

Hello Ian... I was the person who won the auction for the tube buffer you donated for Gary Dodd. I want to thank you for the quick way it was handled and also let you know it's working fine. The sound changed quite a bit as it broke in...and at first I thought I'd have to do some tube...
Back
Top Bottom