Search results

1. mistermax

Happy Birthday mistermax!

Wow! Somebody actually remembered my birthday! (Or something like that.) Thanks, folks! Twelve years I've been on this forum, looking forward to twelve more! mm
  2. mistermax

The Tony Collection

Back from vacation, decided to focus on the core of this collection. This Emmylou LP was her second studio album, released in February 1975. Pretty sure I bought this record when it came out. I have a newer copy in my regular collection, but this one is in remarkably good condition. For some...
  3. mistermax

Stereo Rehab experiences

Too expensive. Cheaper to just keep buying stuff. Bought a new Harley and had it painted just like the old one, she hasn't noticed.
  4. mistermax

The Tony Collection

Well, skipping over cleaning those samples for now, playing Kingfish, the first and eponymous album of the band that Bobby Weir broke off to form in the mid-70's. I saw Kingfish live in a bar on Half Moon Bay, just west of Palo Alto, I think 1976 or 77. My friend Brad (RIP) and I had hitched...
  5. mistermax

The Tony Collection

I found these buried in the pile. I have no idea how I got them, or where or when. From the looks of the sleeves, they might be pretty rough, I don't know. Gonna take some cleaning. Maybe later tonight. If anyone knows how these samplers were distributed back in the day, I'd love to hear...
  6. mistermax

The Tony Collection

Does this count? This is the same model I had in the early 70's, and used along with my Pioneer SX-800, JBL Century L-100s, and a Teac R2R (which I also now have again). And yeah, I should probably have the Dual in the home system. It just doesn't happen to fit quite right on the wall mounted...
  7. mistermax

The Tony Collection

Hm. OK, I'm gonna have to take the Fifth now. (Let's see, where do I keep it...)
  8. mistermax

The Tony Collection

Ha. No, but I've been there and all up through Queen Charlotte Sound, into Alaska, many years ago, by boat. Would love to live there. Wrong coast.
  9. mistermax

The Tony Collection

George Harrison, All Things Must Pass. This record has been through the ringer, as the cover kind of shows, and has a few imperfections that are audible. Still, I love it. I have a newer much better copy that I got from an AK'er at a gathering in the Hudson Valley some years ago. This one...
  10. mistermax

The Tony Collection

Thanks. And yes, that's exactly what he did. I suspect that's where he'll remain for the rest of his days. And in many ways, I envy him that.
  11. mistermax

Can't post, Can't Edit, Permissions, etc... Please use this thread

Thanks. I was using Chrome with Win10. I tried Opera and it works fine. I've been gradually moving away from Chrome and this just adds another reason to do so.
  12. mistermax

The Tony Collection

The Goddess Emmylou! I think all of the early albums are in this collection, and most are also in my existing collection (along with all the newer ones). Madly in love with her basically my entire life. This is a very good album, with The Hot Band, one of the best lineups ever put together...
  13. mistermax

Can't post, Can't Edit, Permissions, etc... Please use this thread

Can't seem to post, says cookies must be allowed, but my settings are to allow cookies. Probably this won't post. Edit: Well surprise surprise surprise... this posted. Something with pics will not.
  14. mistermax

The Tony Collection

I would like to add that the system I play these through is, in some ways, my attempt to reproduce the system I had back in the early/mid-70s. Mostly a Pioneer setup, with the SX-850 at the heart of it (fully restored by Hudson Valley HiFi), all the vintage pieces have been fully restored...
  15. mistermax

The Tony Collection

Tonight I picked out an album by The Band. There are several in the pile, I was a big fan. Saw them live with Dylan in Charlotte in 1974, an amazing concert. This album was released in 1970, recorded in Woodstock, NY and produced by Todd Rundgren. This copy was purchased in the early '70s and...
  16. mistermax

The Tony Collection

That's awesome, sinnerboy! The Layla album is probably my favorite rock album of all time. I saw variations on the combo several times, in 1971-74, before and after Duane, with and without Clapton. Some of the best memories I have.
  17. mistermax

The Tony Collection

Kind of an obscure record. Bernie Leadon was of course one of the founders of the Eagles, also a member of the Burrito Bros and other bands of the period. Georgiades less well-known, but a great guitarist/songwriter/singer. This album was released in January 1977. Oddly, I find that I remember...
  18. mistermax

The Tony Collection

Next up, a little Peter, Paul & Mary. My memories are crystal clear on this. In the period from 1972-76 (and thereabouts), we were "hippie kids", most of us had older siblings who were more "children of the 60s", and we learned from them (I was 15 in 1972). Many nights, we piled into my friend...
  19. mistermax

The Tony Collection

Exactly. And that's the best kind of time capsule, one that wasn't "planned" to show a specific thing. It's just a raw slice of the past.
  20. mistermax

Glue for plinth building

Very interesting point. I'm still trying to process it. Wouldn't one of your goals be to reduce vibration as much as possible? And wouldn't weight be the primary consideration there? I've never made a plinth, fwiw.
  21. mistermax

Glue for plinth building

It would probably be fine. But "basic wood glue" is generally a water based adhesive. Humidity, over time, could affect it. Probably not, particularly if you varnish or poly the finished product. My question is, why risk it, when you can use an adhesive that will NEVER separate? West is...
  22. mistermax

Glue for plinth building

Former boat carpenter, fiberglass repair person, cabinet-maker, furniture maker, auto body repair person... (yeah, I'm old, done a lot of stuff)... I use West System epoxy for pretty much everything. It's the best adhesive you can get. Mix it with flour, beads, use it with fiberglass cloth...
  23. mistermax

The Tony Collection

Switching gears a bit, to another of my life-long favorites, Judy Collins. This double compilation LP was apparently released in 1977, causing me to wonder about my memory (it has "Lane" written on it, in the same writing as others that I left with Grant before taking off way back then)...
  24. mistermax

The Tony Collection

Well, another Linda from this collection, the eponymous album from 1972. Likely I bought this in 1973 or 1974 (I was in traction for most of 1972 from a bad motorcycle accident that nearly killed me). According to the interwebs, it was initially not a sales success, but came to be highly...
  25. mistermax

The Tony Collection

Very difficult to pick favorites from such an amazing body of work, but yeah, I think Hasten has always been mine. That and Simple Dreams. And SIlk Purse. And... Prisoner... and I give up. I think if all I had ever seen or heard was this, I'd still be madly in love with her. Hope she's...
Back
Top Bottom