Search results

1. mistermax

The Tony Collection

Hi All. Been a while. This is kind of an odd thread, but I'm requesting that you please honor it. The story: In or around 1975, I decided to drop out of things and take off. In the ensuing three years, I hitchhiked across the US six times, plus Mexico to Alaska, Key West to Boston and many...
  2. mistermax

pmdclassics - good seller

Purchased two LP's from pmdclassics on Barter Town. Rating was conservative, records excellent. Shipped in a steel shipping container with $1k worth of packing and delivered by three armed men carrying it on a padded tray. Seriously, very well packed, to say the least. V pleased thank you! mm
  3. mistermax

good transaction with unkqty

Bought a substantial collection of 45's from unkqty. Great transaction all around, can definitely recommend him to do business with. mm
  4. mistermax

A couple of new toys

I realize there are (lots of) people who view these kinds of things with scorn. And I understand why. I generally prefer a pretty "pure" sound. But recordings can vary, and anyway I'm having fun playing with them. (Just snagged off that auction site for pretty cheap.) Just can't figure out...
  5. mistermax

Snow, One of the Good Guys

Bought 4 10 /12" Reels from Snow. They were posted for the reels (rare Revox), and I paid for them based on that (fair price). As it turns out, there's some very good quality recording of good music on the tape. Enjoying it now. Thanks, Snow!
  6. mistermax

Odd reaction to new "audiophile" LPs

So, ok, either I'm crazy or everyone else already knows this. I'm listening to an Analogue Productions copy of Cat Stevens Tea for the Tillerman. This album was incredibly important to me back around the time it (and other CS) albums came out. It was a good time in my life. And as I listen...
  7. mistermax

Revelation: Plastic Take-Up Reels (7")

Well, I imagine everyone else already knew this... but I'm always last to the party. After years of fighting with metal take-up reels, ordering them new, vintage, trying to bend them into shape, combining sides of two to make one, etc. And still constantly getting tape-scrape. I read...
  8. mistermax

vodsonic - thank you!

Bought a R2R tape from vodsonic for a really nice price - Porgy & Bess from the film version. One of my favorites, came nicely packed and it's in great condition. Thank you vodsonic!
  9. mistermax

Happy Birthday, Burt Bacharach!

One of the all-time greats, turns 92 today.
  10. mistermax

Sony PS-LX3 issues

A kind soul gave my son this TT at an AK gathering years ago, acknowledging that it had some problems. It's in fine overall shape, but the tonearm won't drop. I think it had the headshell on it when we got it, it's probably around here somewhere. But I can't really remember. Can you think...
  11. mistermax

Anyone know what this plant is?

Sprouting up all over my upstate New York property. I think they're bugly, but before I kill 'em I figured I should know what they are. Can't find it using The Googles.
  12. mistermax

Let it Be LP Pressings?

Howdy, So, somewhere around here I have a very nice LP of Let it Be. But, and I am grateful for this actually, my children are huge 70's-80's music fans (they're 15 and 17). And my son (15) in particular loves the Beatles. So I think he absconded with my Let it Be. I don't have the heart to...
  13. mistermax

Do you leave the plastic wrapper on?

Sorry if this has been covered before (likely). So, do ya? And if so, why? For years, I have not. Figured the things were just annoying and always falling apart anyway. But, spending some big(ger) bucks on records now, some I guess with potential "collector" status... and wondering...
  14. mistermax

ecandle from Oregon

I just realized there's this feedback section. Wanted to say, I had a great transaction with ecandle from Oregon. It was largely about helping my teenage kids learn more about how music is not limited to what comes out of an iPhone. A bunch of classical CD's, that my 17 year old daughter...
  15. mistermax

Nina Simone-Suggestions?

Hi, I just recently became interested in this artist. From what I can see, there is a huge amount of material out there. Any suggestions on where to start? FWIW, although I love jazz (of the 40's-60's periods), I pretty much believe what my mother said... (see below). Any help would be...
  16. mistermax

Dumb Advertising

Is it just me, or is this a dumb way to advertise a product designed to help you take care of your records?
  17. mistermax

What Vintage 7 Inch 45 Are You Playing?

Figured I'd start this off with this very nice copy of The Beatles, Hey Jude (7:11), B Side is Revolution (3:22). Apple Records 2276, rel. Aug. 1968. Deadwax "45-X-46434-F3-#2". First release of any record on the Apple label, first Beatles song recorded on eight-track equipment, only one not...
  18. mistermax

Any interest in an (old) 45's thread?

For some reason I have hundreds of old 7" 45's. Bored at home, I've been digging them out. Lots of Beatles, Stones, Beach Boys, Little Rascals... on and on. I have a bunch of Elvis (all the ones in the pic are Elvis). Lots more. Most of these are easily "playable", some in pretty good...
  19. mistermax

What to do with these old ladels?

A friend gave me these years ago, she bought them at a church auction for me. I've just kept them in a cabinet. Wife dragged them out this morning and wants me to hang them on the wall in the kitchen. Hm. I always envisioned using them in a hunting cabin. Now that I do actually have a...
  20. mistermax

My old Revox A-77

One of many things I've dragged out of closets this last month. I remember it worked years ago, but I had a jerry-rigged power cord. With the kind help of AK'er Rex Runner, I got an original Revox power cord (they're different). These things never die.
  21. mistermax

Patricia Kopatchinskaja

Long shot, but is anyone familiar with this artist? I've only learned of her by watching a video of her with Ravi Shankar's daughter Anoushka. She is amazing. Wondering if any of her work has been released on vinyl, or SACD?
  22. mistermax

Shure M78S, M97XE - 45's?

Hi Folks, With over a month in Quarantine, I'm digging out all kinds of stuff. I've had this Dual 1229 for a long while, but haven't used it much. Hooked it up and had a scraping sound. Removed the platter and the paper for the strobe was hanging loose. Glued it back squirted a little lube...
  23. mistermax

The Alan Parsons Project - ?

What can you tell me about this band? I have heard the name over the years, but never paid any attention, not knowing anything about them. In studying up on the history of Pink Floyd, a band that I *did* pay a lot of attention to (I have a lot of time on my hands), I see Parsons was a...
  24. mistermax

Do you use Swiffers?

OK, this falls into the category of trivial minutae, but, I ain't got nuthin else to do but worry about such things. I have been using these things. After a spin on the RCM, then a run with the Zerostat, before putting on the TT, a gentle sweep with a Swiffer. Forget where I read about it...
  25. mistermax

Connections Questions-DBX 400, TT, etc.

Howdy, So I hooked up my new to me DBX 400 today. I'm temporarily using a Yamaha R-S300 receiver (my Pioneer SX-850 needs work). I got three tape decks and two sound processors hooked up to it, and everything is working great. Question is... is there a way to run other sources through the...
Back
Top Bottom