Search results

1. oldgearhog

AudioSource Model AMP Three w/Preamp/Tuner Two

Funny I should find this post as I just got a "non-working" Amp three and a preamp/tuner two as throw Ins with a "working" Nakamichi BX-100 for $150. We'll the Nak needs an idler and belts and it isn't working but like the OP, my switch is set to auto so I'm chomping at the bit to check the amp...
  2. oldgearhog

JVC SAE pot cleaning

I couldn't find an answer but I have above problem with an R-S33 receiver. I've tried some old Radio Shack stuff I had laying around with no luck so I got some contact clener from WD40. Not the penetrating oil! So it worked great, on the volume and balance faders but the eq is all messed up...
  3. oldgearhog

Your Favorite Middle-Range Receivers/Int Amps

I have a Kenwood KA-5700 I like a lot, but it's out of the rotation right now. I'm also enjoying a Technics SA-600. They both sound splendid to me.
  4. oldgearhog

vintage technics receiver+british speakers= good mix??

So my 2¢ worth says get the Technics and try it. If you like it great, if not try it with different speakers (assuming you want to keep it) and use it that way. You can always sell it or fill it with cement and use it for a boat anchor. Or maybe not.
  5. oldgearhog

Sherwood Receivers?

As long as it has it's license it should be fine.
  6. oldgearhog

Why do we love these old Sherwoods ?

S7100a schematic update. Yeah so I feel a little silly. There is a complete scan of just the schematic on the engine that I missed. Problem solved.
  7. oldgearhog

Recap. But do it for the right reasons

:bowdown:the holy grail of vintage audio? So just to make this a little more interesting, I'll pose this question. How much difference does a recap really make sonically and how much is in our heads? After we spend hours thinking about how great it's going to sound now that I've spent a few...
  8. oldgearhog

Yeah, the problem is there's about an inch wide stripe down the middle of the schematic that's missing. It would be nice to have a clearer picture if the skin-off unit too.
  9. oldgearhog

OK S7100a owners, could someone scan and upload a service/user manual for this guy (or is it a gal?) Or anyone that might have one? There is a scan of it on HiFi engine but it's terrible. It would be very much appreciated. Thanks.
  10. oldgearhog

How many of you built Heathkits?

Yeah me too but only a couple. My dad built many in the 50s and 60s. He also took the Bell and Howell course and built a TV and a scope (which I stl use) and he let me b uild the multimeter. I spent hours drooling over the catalog and it launched my career an electrical engineer. My first build...
  11. oldgearhog

The Tube Store ad

Too bad about how they reacted to your joke. When I contacted one of the mods they just said something like "well we asked them to change it but they wouldn't so we couldn't do anything about it." More like they don't want to lose advertiser income. They could just stop posting it and find some...
  12. oldgearhog

The Tube Store ad

And now we are debating the health hazards of beast implants? :dunno::crazy::eek:
  13. oldgearhog

The Tube Store ad

I had no idea. Seriously folks I thought this would be taken a little more seriously by some? I guess the poll shows it, slightly more of us thinks it not appropriate. Not as big of a difference as I thought. Interesting how widely the thoughts varied from me who probably has the most...
  14. oldgearhog

Just had a quick read thru of that thread. Unfortunately the output xstr is on the outside of the case and that route wouldn't be aesthetically pleasing or safe. I suppose one could find a likely spot inside and do it though. But it's all theoretical as of now. I've got better things to do like...
  15. oldgearhog

.thanks dly66. So I did a little sleuthing and just like you said they are TO-66 packages. A quick search at Digikey turned up only a couple of this package style in stock starting At about 13.50. So I'll read that. Mine aren't bad bu I'm curious to see what the options are.
  16. oldgearhog

The Tube Store ad

Since I posted the poll I did email the company (thanks for the challenge) and let them know what I thought. Now suppose it was some dude in a speedo holding a tube down there, wouldn't that be a little creepy?
  17. oldgearhog

Speaking of S-7100As, mine has mini-TO3 looking transistors on the back. Any replacements available/reckmmended? I haven't done any research but since this thread has been so active for 12 years I thought I would just ask. No need to replace them now, just curious.
  18. oldgearhog

The Tube Store ad

Had to share a thought after putting up with the Tube Store ad, which on first glance might look like the boob tube store. Y'all know which one I mean. So I find this ad offensive and with all the news about various celebrities and such getting in trouble for their comments and actions...
  19. oldgearhog

Call him up and BEG him/her to send it to you. Shipping is cheap. The UPS store will even pack it for him.
  20. oldgearhog

Tastes great but smells kind of funny:eek: Actually it worked very well. The vinegar smell was there but only unil it dried and the finish which was in good shape underneath came out beautifully. Had to give it a good wipe down to get the excess off of it, but it was very worth it and very cheap.
  21. oldgearhog

Wow, this thread has been resurrected a lot! I guess that shows we really do love our Sherwoods. I got my S7100A for two cheap 8" bass guitar speakers that I bought for a project that never happened. And he gave me $20 to boot! Love the sound but I haven't listened that much. The build quality...
  22. oldgearhog

Pioneer SX-450 - Fixed Power Switch - No lights

My 2¢: Bulbs do burn out and it is not uncommon for bulbs in that old of a receiver to be burned out. Generally auto store bulbs are 12v and will work but run dimmer than a 6v bulb. (I have a receiver like that) I bought some LED bulbs from Parts Express - 5 for $5. They have both fuse type and...
  23. oldgearhog

Best way of cleaning a receiver?

What are you cleaning? Deoxit is for controls and switches. If you want to clean circuit boards and components blow off dust and cob webs with a can of compressed air then use a paint brush or soft toothbrush and GENTLY scrub the boards and chassis with isopropyl alcohol. Depends on how deep you...
  24. oldgearhog

Sherwood Receivers?

I have an S7100A that a nice sounding unit. They don't get a lot of press, and never did, but there is a lot of love for older Sherwood's around here.
  25. oldgearhog

Aluminum knobs separated from plastic inserts for control knobs

Any of the suggestions will work adequately. Just make sure you get it right the first time because they won't come apart if you want them to. I made the mistake of putting one together backwards, good thing drilling it out worked in a pinch.
Back
Top Bottom