Search results

1. oldgearhog

JVC SAE pot cleaning

I couldn't find an answer but I have above problem with an R-S33 receiver. I've tried some old Radio Shack stuff I had laying around with no luck so I got some contact clener from WD40. Not the penetrating oil! So it worked great, on the volume and balance faders but the eq is all messed up...
  2. oldgearhog

The Tube Store ad

Had to share a thought after putting up with the Tube Store ad, which on first glance might look like the boob tube store. Y'all know which one I mean. So I find this ad offensive and with all the news about various celebrities and such getting in trouble for their comments and actions...
  3. oldgearhog

Denon DR-M24HX - Worth it?

Hi out there. I spotted a Denon DR-M24HX on CL and am wondering if it's worth th $25 asking price. He says it works great and is in good condition. My Nak BX1 went south some time ago (stops randomly during playback) and I want something to renew my listening pleasure and figure out which tapes...
  4. oldgearhog

Denon DVD1740 transport issues.

Here's a long shot. The transport on my DVD player (approx 10 hrs old) went belly up. I'm having a hard time finding a replacement and parts units on the bay are more $ than I want to spend. Any ideas of what might work? My research turned up a part number but I can't locate a source for it. Thanks.
  5. oldgearhog

Score! Dual 1237 for $20

Craig's List find. It doesn't have a cartridge but I have a couple of vintage guys I'll try with it. Also seller said it didn't shut off at the end of a record so it sounds like it might need a pimplemeister or whatever you call that little rubber thingy. Looking forward to working on it but in...
  6. oldgearhog

Sherwood S-7100A

Does anyone have a decent copy of this service manual or at least the schematic? Or know where i can download it? HiFi Engine has one but it's missing a big stripe down the middle. Same for the AK database. Thanks.
  7. oldgearhog

Know anything about A-X700?

I got this at GW for $12 mostly because it weighed a.bunch . Unfortunately the right channel is distorted. It's a mid-80s mini system component with some kind of.weird.remote system. All i have is the amp and.the.cable that connects everything. Did a search znd didnt come up with much (MANUAL...
  8. oldgearhog

What? DJ light tuning dial!

Ok, let me explain. I have a Nikko STA2020 receiver which is BOTL, about 10 WPC as far as I can tell. I just spend an inordinate amount of time fixing it up and it works great now. Or does it? I have been using it at low volumes and it seems to sound and work fine with Dayton Audio 652...
  9. oldgearhog

2220B tuner won't go stereo

As stated, I can't get my 2220B to play in stereo when listening to FM.. Is this a common thing? Maybe.i'm just dumb about antennas. Or is the whole thing whacked and I need a tech? It is currently hooked up to a standard bunny ear with a loop that is split three ways into a tv, a Nikko budget...
  10. oldgearhog

Did I score on a Technics?

A while back I saw a confusing ad on craigslist. It said "Technics SA-600 phono-amp". So I looked and behold it was a 70 WPC receiver (I do have the little brother SA-300 so I should have known immediately.) He said it was refurbished and worked great and sounded great and was in great...
  11. oldgearhog

Finished first project!

Since I have little time to work on this, it took forever but I finally finished a project that's been on my bench for way too long. I brought back to life a Nikko STA-2020, a little 10 wpc receiver. It seems to sound pretty good to me, but not as good as a little Pioneer SA-5200 in my other...
  12. oldgearhog

New or Vintage Speakers with Vintage Receivers

I had a question, and maybe it's too subjective, but give me your opinions about combining vintage receivers with speakers. Would new or old sound better or be a better match for a vintage receiver? I have several receivers and amps from a bunch of manufacturers - pioneer, Marantz, Nikko...
  13. oldgearhog

Nikko Audio STA-2020

Circa '75, just picked it up at the local GW for $10. Does anyone have any info on it? It lit up at the store but I haven't checked it with speakers yet. I'm guessing around 10 watts or so. It's needs a good cosmetic cleaning and also also a deoxit. So do you think it's worth it? I always...
  14. oldgearhog

2220B phone preamp

I have a 2220B that I'm doing some work on and am looking at recapping the power supply and putting new caps in the phono preamp as well. I'm looking at the circuit diagram and from what I can see the EQ points they picked don't match up with official "RIAA" break points. Any opinions on this...
  15. oldgearhog

worth it? KX-770

I was wandering the local thrift and came across a KX-770 cassette deck. It looks to be early '80s, black face, mostly digital controls but still some mechanical switches, weighs in at a good hefty amount. Couldn't find a whole lot about it. It was untested and the price was $4.99. I just...
  16. oldgearhog

Dynaco PAT-4 mod proposal

Hmm, I have one of these sitting around collecting dust and am thinking about puttin it to use as my main system along with an ST-120. I got the pair on CL for $75 which I thought was an OK deal. Now, since there are two inputs on it, "special" and "tape head" that have totally useless...
  17. oldgearhog

What do I do with all this crap?

Let me list the ways . . . Boat anchors - fill them with concrete and tie a rope to them. Fish love the sound of vitage audio. Thrift stores - none of it works 100%. anything from blown output sections to broken power switches to stringless tuner knobs. recycler - I just can't stand...
  18. oldgearhog

model 23 tuner - busted

I have the opportunity to get a model 23 tuner for $20 but the thing doesn't work. Not sure all the issues, my buddy just said he couldn't get much sound out of it. I looked at the service manual and it looks like you need a ton of gear to get it going and aligned and all. What do you think...
  19. oldgearhog

Dynaco ST-120 and PAT-4 find

found this on CL Minneapolis, so just on a whim I bought them. They are in pretty much mint condition other than dirty knobs from people using them and the Dynaco logo is missing from the front of the PAT-4. I paid $75 for the pair and after deoxit-ing the pots everything seems to work pretty...
  20. oldgearhog

late 60's Heathkit amp - maybe AA-22?

I don't have access to it right now but my dad gave me a Heathkit integrated amp with this weird yellow modules in it they look like the same stuff that a lot of small caps are potted in except they have multiple pins and large bumps on them. they are about 1.5" x 1" or so. I think 4 of them but...
  21. oldgearhog

Old Technics SL-220

Bought this on a whim for $25. But in trying to set the tracking force the counterweight doesn't screw back far enough to balance the tone arm. Anyone ever had this problem or know a fix? Are there heavier counter weights out there?
  22. oldgearhog

2220B tuner restring

I'm doing a re-string of my 2220B and need the string. The old one is frayed and about to break. Where do I find this stuff? And can you point me to a good thread with the process? Thx
  23. oldgearhog

Technics SA300

I got one of these a little while back with the right channel out. Everything looks fine - no burn marks or anything. There's a big power amp module in it, does anyone have any experience with this? There isn't any hiss or anything except a pop when the speaker switch is pushed. Thanks
  24. oldgearhog

Left-to-right sweeping sensation in TX-5500II

My old Pioneer TX-5500II is giving me this funny sweeping effect from channel to channel and back occasionally. It sounds fine most of the time but once in a while starts this. Any ideas?
  25. oldgearhog

panasonic SA507 anyone

I saw a Panasonic SA507 on CL and am wondering what you folks know about it? It seems like a deal at $20. four channel with cool joystick balance.
Back
Top Bottom