Search results

1. gagelle

My apologies...

I appreciate the responses and am sorry I couldn't answer each one. I was ill this week with an upper respiratory infection and pretty much out of commission. I'm felling better now after a round of antibiotics.
  2. gagelle

My apologies...

Thanks. I'll check on that. Yes, I remember. I recently found a You Tube clip of Rory Gallagher and Jack Bruce.
  3. gagelle

My apologies...

Thanks. Thanks very much.
  4. gagelle

My apologies...

Thank You.
  5. gagelle

My apologies...

I've been ill for over a year and want to apologize for not responding to those who left birthday messages last summer. I just logged on today after a long absence. I noticed that Audiokarma had a format change. I thought I had signed up for auto renewal, but I was no longer a member. I just...
  6. gagelle

I discovered W. C. Fields

Yes, that's the porch scene from "It's a Gift."--a classic scene. I never saw a comedy where somebody was more henpecked.
  7. gagelle

I haven't seen them together yet. I recently bought a DVD set with 18 of his films. There's a more comprehensive set but it was too expensive for me. I'll look for one with Mae West. I also noticed that Ernst Lubitsch was in one of his films. I had a friend who wrote several books on romantic...
  8. gagelle

Yes, it was recommended by a friend. I have it on a DVD collection I just bought.
  9. gagelle

I've been a film buff since college. Recently, a friend suggested that I watch some W. C. Fields. I searched YouTube and found a number of early material that was in the public domain. I can honestly say that he's the funniest film comedian I've ever experienced. The first one I watched was a...
  10. gagelle

On Jean-Luc Godard

I've been a film buff for many years. One of my favorite directors is Jean-Luc Godard. His film, "Le Mépris" (Contempt) is one of my favorites. I've read that some not only consider it his best film but the greatest film ever made. I recently watched it for the third time. (Oh how I miss films...
  11. gagelle

Living In The Material World

His response to his adversity was heroic. I once read a passage from one of Montaigne's Essays where he explains the difference between a good man and a virtuous man. He says that a person who is good by nature and suffers little misfortune in his life is simply a good man. But the virtuous man...
  12. gagelle

Do You have ATT Uverse for your ISP and an Arris modem, serious security problems

I'm happy now that AT&T doesn't provide fast DSL to my area. I'm basically stuck with Comcast cable for internet service. The trouble with cable service is that when many people are using it, it slows down. An engineer once explained to me that DSL provides a separate line to each customer. But...
  13. gagelle

Living In The Material World

Last night, I saw a powerful documentary on George Harrison, directed by Martin Scorsese, called "Living In the Material World." I never knew of its existence until I noticed it was a streaming option on Netflix. It's a long film but I was glued to my TV. One can see Scorsese's creative touch...
  14. gagelle

What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

Yes, I remember listening to Blue Oyster Cult when I was young. For some reason, I didn't keep up with the band. I'd like to check out Nine Inch Nails. I think it's something I'd like. Rediscovering the music from the past can get a bit expensive. After I started listening to "Queen," recently...
  15. gagelle

This story is a bit strange. I was formerly listening exclusively to jazz and classical music. Since I've been ill, I've been at home most of the time because the summer heat in my area is debilitating. One day, I saw a David Bowe CD that my son bought some years ago. The album was called "Space...
  16. gagelle

What was the last movie you watched?

u Thank you for all the interesting information about Robert Wise. I certainly will explore your linked material. There are so many great American directors who have been forgotten. I spent years auditing film history classes and going to revival theaters in Manhattan. Some of the best...
  17. gagelle

Thanks. I usually stay away from remakes, although these are rare cases when a director doesn't really do a remake but has a fresh vision of the original.
  18. gagelle

Last night, I noticed that a film called The Day the Earth Stood Still was available for streaming from my Netflix account. Directed by Robert Wise, a master craftsman, and auteur by the Cahiers definition, it is one of the most suspenseful films I've ever seen: A perfect example of what a...
  19. gagelle

Beethoven's Piano Sonatas, volume 5, Sonatas 18 through 22; original mono recordings played by Backhaus--1950-1954, gloriously restored by engineers at Pristine Audio.
  20. gagelle

what are these Modwrights worth?

Anyone familiar with these?
  21. gagelle

Techniques Sl-1200 MK2

I thank you both.
  22. gagelle

Techniques Sl-1200 MK2

What is a Techniques SL-1200 MK2 with damping well, Cardas tonearm wiring, with Ortofon Bronze MM cartridge be worth? Thanks.
  23. gagelle

what are these Modwrights worth?

What would a Modwright KWA-100SE be worth? What would the 2007 model of the Modwright SWL 9.0 SE preamp be worth? Has blue front. Only 100 made for dealers if that matters. Thanks in advance.
  24. gagelle

Recommended Modern Amps

I recently purchased a Krell Duo 175. This amp made my Harbeth 7ES-3s really open up with a much fuller sound, especially in the low frequencies. My CDs, also sound much better. I've wanted a class A amp for a long time but couldn't buy one due to their high heat output. The Krell has something...
Back
Top Bottom