Search results

1. Quint

Jim Morrison . . . according to his dad, the Admiral

If one thinks about it, the impact that parents can/do have on their children is incalculable. Absolutely immense. I think I can (at least partially) relate to what Jim went through. My Dad was a strict old-world Italian who insisted I enter a trade (he was employed as a very successful...
  2. Quint

The Byrds-Sweetheart of the Rodeo

I was only a year or two when it was released, but my roadie cousin made sure to introduce me to it when I was 12 or 13. That was it; I was hooked. Not sure why, but it resonated with me GREATLY, particularly “You Ain’t Going Nowhere,” which to this day remains one of my favorite all-time songs...
  3. Quint

Marc Bolan & T-Rex

If I remember correctly, Marc's girlfriend, soul singer Gloria Jones, was driving. I think each had consumed some booze, but Jones was excused. It was a truly tragic end, as Bolan had been embraced by the burgeoning punk movement and was starting to make a comeback. Oh well . . .
  4. Quint

Cheap Trick production values...

:D Oh, no offense taken. Actually, I find it incredibly ironic the tendency to use the term “album” in place of “CD.” But, honestly, I can’t think of a better term to use when using CD would be redundant or inappropriate. I do some freelance music writing on the side, and you wouldn’t...
  5. Quint

Cheap Trick production values...

I’m a monster fan of the band and have nearly of all their CDs (digital rules in this household :yes:). I’ve maintained for years that Robin is one of the very best, if not THE best, rock singer in the universe. :yes: :thmbsp: The fact that he’s maintained his voice for close to 40 years is...
  6. Quint

Marc Bolan & T-Rex

A band that deserves FAR more recognition than they get (especially here in the States) and that need to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame IMMEDIATELY! Many cite Electric Warrior as the group’s masterpiece, but I’ve always thought the follow-up, The Slider, was at the very least...
  7. Quint

Is Sticky Fingers the best...

True dat. After seeing him live, I was convinced beyond convincing. I've NEVER seen nor heard a better overall guitarist. :thmbsp: I know that's an incredibly bold statement, but I've stood by it for years. If he got nearly the exposure that guys like Clapton and Page get, he'd easily be on that...
  8. Quint

Is Sticky Fingers the best...

For my dime, “Dead Flowers” is one of the Stones’ very best songs. As a recovering addict, when Mick sings that famous line, “I’ll be in my basement room/with a needle and a spoon,” I get a reaction that, without fail, drives me to tears. I once got pulled over by a cop who saw me driving...
  9. Quint

Quadrophenia

Quadrophenia was reissued late last year in several configurations, including (IMO) a bloated Super Deluxe box and a more streamlined (though less thorough) 2-CD edition. I have the 2-CD edition, and I think it’s great. Not too much compression, not too forward. I still like the MFSL a tad...
  10. Quint

Gram Parsons appreciation

It's called Gram Parsons and the Fallen Angels, Live 1973. I like it a lot, though I don't get around to it often. I'm originally from Queens and listened to LIR religiously, and I remember that my cousin traded a staff guy some weed to get in the audience. :smoke: He was floored by what he saw...
  11. Quint

Gram Parsons appreciation

If you haven’t already, check out the reissue of the International Submarine Band’s album Safe at Home. If you’re gonna trace the origins of “country rock,” this is definitely ONE (but not only) of the places you should look. It’s easy to hear the direction Gram would take in coming years.
  12. Quint

Roger Hodgson/Supertramp

I bought Roger’s album In the Eye of the Storm after hearing “I Had a Dream” at the record shop I worked at. It really was a fabulous album, and the song is an underappreciated classic. I played that song until the grooves went up in smoke! The album has aged badly in a few spots, but I can...
  13. Quint

Mick Ronson Just Keeps...

How about his totally wigged-out solo in Lou Reed's "Vicious"? What he does to his strings in that solo should be illegal! :D
  14. Quint

Mick Ronson Just Keeps...

One of the most sadly underappreciated “legend” guitarists of all time. I’ve been following Ronno for many a year, and his playing, regardless of with Bowie, Lou Reed, Hunter, solo, whomever, was nothing short of brilliant. :yes: I’ve been petitioning the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame for the last...
  15. Quint

Anybody listen to re-mastered Division Bell?

As someone who seemingly has had most digital versions of DB, I'd tell ya to seek out the 1992 Doug Sax master. I sold my copy of the 2011 remaster after comparing the two. The new master isn't bad, certainly, but in my and many others' opinions, the 1992 has a broader soundstage and a more...
  16. Quint

Men at Work

They were a very unique sounding band, that’s for sure. A great sense of melody and cool, quirky lyrics. And their stuff has aged amazingly well, IMO. I was bummed when they called it quits. Colin Hay has made some excellent stuff since then, but like Mark Knopfler post-Dire Straits, I just...
  17. Quint

Beach Boys overkill?

I bought it when it first came out and sold it about a year ago. It was just too much BB for me. I’m a big fan, just not THAT big a fan. I wound up getting those fabulous-sounding Capitol two-fers, several audiophile gold discs, and the recent SMILE compilation, and now I’m pretty well set. :yes:
  18. Quint

Rolling Stones "Some Girls" SHM-SACD

A quick word on my experience with the new Japanese SHM-SACD of the Stones’ immortal Some Girls. I picked it up Friday, but am only now getting around reviewing it. After a few comparisons with the new, two-CD Deluxe Edition and 1994 Bob Ludwig remaster, I’m ready to draw some brief...
  19. Quint

Whitney Houston, RIP

I want to write something insightful, but I’m at a loss. I wasn’t a fan of her style of music, but when she truly “connected” with a performance, whether in music or film, I was often stunned at how incredibly talented she was. She truly had a once-in-a-generation voice, and it’s always sad when...
  20. Quint

Simple Minds Sometimes Too Bright For Me

I have a two-disc greatest hits SACD that sounds pretty nice, still I do hear that faint edge of brightness you speak of. Doesn’t come in the way of my enjoyment, though. At least not much. :D
  21. Quint

Van Halen's "A Different Kind Of Truth" Details

I heard it for the first time earlier today and am playing it again to confirm my initial impressions. Screw the positive hype and all the critical barbs, I say this: When taken on its own terms, as a “comeback” album by a band lineup that had been dead for well over two decades, this is the...
  22. Quint

Rush Sector Box sets

I’m contemplating them too, but I’m NOT touching them until I get CONCRETE word that all the problems in all the boxes have been fixed and that the boxes are shipping complete without any glitches or problems. :yes: I value my money too much to spend that kind of dough on a product that has been...
  23. Quint

The Best (Relatively Unknown) Guitar Player

If he hasn’t been nominated already, I say Danny Kirwan, of the post-Peter Green and pre-Buckingham/Nicks Fleetwood Mac. Kirwan was a superb guitar player (not to mention songwriter) whose sense of melody was tough to match. He helped propel this severely underrated version of the Mac to some...
  24. Quint

Early onset "rock dementia," what can I say? :screwy: There is no Badfinger on the dark side of Livonia, really! :D
  25. Quint

The late Pete Ham of Badfinger. :thmbsp: His playing was ridiculously eloquent yet unbelievably impassioned when the moment called for it. I mean, no less than George Harrison chose him to play an acoustic duet with him at the Concert for Bangladesh! :yes: His slide playing made, or was a large...
Back
Top Bottom