Search results

1. theophile

Does anyone do Direct To Disc anymore???

Original Thread Audio Asylum by member "Story" on September 5 2022: https://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/t.mpl?f=vinyl&m=1218941
  2. theophile

Track Audio warning

I followed up a mention by a member(and I'm not doing this to try and pick a fight with that member). I regularly go through my browser settings and delete cookies that I no longer need. Unfortunately in my eyes, Track Audio placed persistent cookies on my browser that will not be deleted. I...
  3. theophile

Listening to a life changing performance.

Like books one has read, musical interludes can literally be life changing. I was just now listening to a piece of music on YouTube. Below the site had recommended other videos. One was an opera singer I knew of well but had never actually explored. Oh my. Did I get a surprise when that first...
  4. theophile

AK's 20th anniversary - June 18, 2022

June 18, 2002 was the day that AK went live. Although I haven't been here that long( just 18 and a half), I wondered whether anything was planned for the upcoming event?
  5. theophile

Moondrop Blessing 2 Dusk and Chord Mojo 2.

I've been using the Blessing Dusk for 24 hours and am waiting for the Mojo 2 to arrive. I love the sound of the Blessing Dusk straight out of my Android headhone dongle dac. By all accounts the Mojo 2 is something special for the price. Here's hoping that the combination isn't a mismatch.
  6. theophile

I couldn't understand a word he said.

However the speakers in the system and the test and repair section had me enthralled:
  7. theophile

Proac owner/founder Stuart Tyler RIP

Under the radar speaker designer Stuart Tyler is dead. I used a pair of his EBTs for 15 years. They were excellent speakers. Tyler knew how to make great sounding speakers of all sizes. RIP
  8. theophile

Tim de Paravicini interview May 2020

An extremely interesting interview with a humble master designer. If you don't know who Tim is; watch the video. You will find the extent of this man's expertise ranges from designing hi fi to making equipment for the highest end studios, mastering engineers, record labels and LP manufacturers...
  9. theophile

Al Jolson. Any fans?

Sometimes I almost feel like a secret admirer. Here's a man whose body of work brings me joy but I've never met anyone anywhere who has admitted to me that they like Al Jolson. This is the only thread on AK.
  10. theophile

Rendition of Beatles "Within You And Without You"

Here is an excellent live rendition of a great Beatles song written by George:
  11. theophile

Capacitor replacement kits. Ever seen this site before?

The site is called: Audio High Store They amongst many things offer capacitor replacement kits for a vast range of vintage electronics. https://www.audio-high-store.com/product-category/high-end-mod/
  12. theophile

David Bowie wrote lyrics for "My Way".....

This is really interesting:
  13. theophile

Spaceballs

Although this classic spoof has been mentioned over the years on AK I am somewhat surprised that it has never merited its own thread. Consider this some tiny means of correcting that oversight. By way of honour and gratitude to Mel Brooks, I'd like to post this documentary made by Mel about...
  14. theophile

A true Beatles rarity.

I apologise if this is well known. The following is a precursor to The Medley which begins with You Never Give Me Your Money and ends with Her Majesty. Here is some information about it: "This edit was made on July 30 1969 (before the original release) by Paul McCartney and George Martin for...
  15. theophile

Elvis Costello Almost Blue (1981)

Not the first album which comes to mind when considering Declan MacManus' album discography. Not even for me. I love the guy's work. Almost Blue is an album I've never owned but I have enjoyed it from the first listen. I heard both sides played at the same sitting, the first time I heard this...
  16. theophile

Musing about observations made isolating a turntable.

I just typed hundreds of words only for my phone to lose it all. I haven't the heart to do I again.
  17. theophile

Is the levitating turntable company still in Business?

Read the comments at the bottom of this page. The principal of the company admits that they have no money to fulfill the pre-paid orders: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/245727224/mag-lev-audio-the-first-levitating-turntable/comments
  18. theophile

Arkay's Magificent preamp.

Well though not Arkay's in ownership, it is Arkay's pride and joy to own one. They are rarely seen and there is one for sale right now. Here are the pictures:
  19. theophile

Toots and the Maytals Funky Kingston.

I can't believe that nobody has started a thread on this album before today. Possibly the best Reggae of its time, by the group which coined the term 'reggay'. I bought Funky Kingston, which was released in 1975, later in 1979. I had become a fan of Bob Marley after being introduced to the album...
  20. theophile

Jean Luc Ponty, Frank Zappa and the Mothers on fire.

This just shreds. I watched it for the first time less than five minutes ago. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. :music:
  21. theophile

Vinylphile succumbs to Digital.

Yeppers. Hold onto your hats. After nearly 16 years of posting here, my first post in this forum. I bought a Oppo UDP-105D and it arrived yesterday. This is the first digital component I have had in my home which has been able to stand toe to toe with my vinyl front end. Not an easy feat. I...
  22. theophile

Very interesting blog post re Room Acoustics/Flat Frequency Response

Worth a read: http://www.acousticsinsider.com/flat-frequency-response/
  23. theophile

"Do somethin' original..."

Interview with Jimi Hendrix's father Al. The quote in the thread title comes about 6 minutes into the interview. It was Al's advice to the very young Jimi when Jimi first got serious about playing the guitar. It would appear that Jimi hit that ball clear out of the park, then out of orbit. Enjoy:
  24. theophile

Eating Fish is healthy. Right?

Not all fish:
Back
Top Bottom