Search results

1. drbiggles

Wharfedale W90 crossover problem

Hmmm, understood. So, Gilbert knew the scoop on the 90's. But threw caution to the wind on the early W60's and 70's. In another lifetime, I was going to swap out the woofer in the W60 for a Super 12. Sure, the cabinet is too small, but thought maybe I could get some midrange back in the...
  2. drbiggles

Maybe, maybe not. Would the W90s woofers benefit from larger cabinets to lower the bass? Or would you lose too much upper midbass slam? Are the mids properly sealed from woofers? I found early W70s and W60 sorely lacking in these departments. And on the W60s, running a woofer wide open...
  3. drbiggles

Hey, Klipschorn for the win. Thank you for your efforts. Nearly makes me want to go find a pair of W90s. Biggles
  4. drbiggles

Unknown 40+ year old Pioneers with DN-5 Crossover

Hey, Welcome to AK! I dunno man, your chances of finding another are pretty slim. I would suggest going for a mono system. Some of the best recordings of the 1950s and 1960s are mono. Find yourself a vacuum tube powered hi-fi, mono turntable setup and you’d be golden. I’ve tried using...
  5. drbiggles

My Bozak "Symphony #1/2": A New Thread With Different Focus

Rob, Now you’re talkin! Huge congratulations!!! Biggles
  6. drbiggles

Ideas for garage speakers

Hey, I pull out my Sunn Model 15’s or other PA speakers. Bam! Biggles
  7. drbiggles

McIntosh Cabinet Repair SF Bay Area

Yup, and you know what? It’s for your equipment, this is gonna be in your listening room. Congratulations! Biggles
  8. drbiggles

McIntosh Cabinet Repair SF Bay Area

cwh, My heart swells in awe and appreciation in your craft and willingness to get the job done for a fellow audio junkie when they were in need. You took a nasty situation with the possibility of two people not doing business together, and gave one the option to forgive and move on. Today...
  9. drbiggles

Why does everyone hate Fisher speakers

I dislike them due to how they sound. I too once found them to be just fine. But after educating my Ear over time, and going back to the Fishers, I changed my mind. It only took moments. Biggles
  10. drbiggles

Bozak Dust Cap Replacement

Mission, Whether it’s critical or not I cannot say. If it’s within your scope to make the replacement the same as the stock cap, then do it. I don’t have that capability. So, I would do the best I could and move on. If it’s driving you nuts, you can always keep an eye open for a...
  11. drbiggles

Bozak Dust Cap Replacement

Mission, that looks like a B800A. Aaaanywaaaaay, do what you can. Don’t sweat it. The alternative is to toss it, and that’s not going to happen. Continue on! Biggles
  12. drbiggles

wharfedale speaker capacitors question

drterry, i've recapped a pair of W20's, but it was so long ago I don't remember the values. You can use any brand or version of caps you want to. But those drivers aren't going to make use of the top brands. I use Dayton Audio for the tweeters to brighten them up as much as possible, and new...
  13. drbiggles

Quadraflex ST-17 Speakers - Biggles' Free Speaker Therapy

Mitch, I passed the ST17’s along, I don’t know the exact mids. But I know they were built by the lowest bidder and used Asian drivers. Not necessarily low quality in general, but these specifically were and are low quality. That’s why I was so interested in repurposing the cabinets, they...
  14. drbiggles

North American Sound Studio Monitors vs Bozak Symphonies

Yeah yeah, keep going. Thumb through. Then like you’re already planning try different amplification. Mmmmmm. Biggles
  15. drbiggles

550, Thank you for taking the time to lay all that down. It will be helpful to the lurkers we never hear from, trust me. I enjoyed reading it, brought me back because I did all the same things. Except for the gasket. My flower pots generally needed massaging and I used caulk to fill...
  16. drbiggles

Yeah, yeah, try all the positions. Excited.
  17. drbiggles

Hay, Huge congratulations! You really kicked behind on these, take no prisoners. I hope you get some play time this weekend. Now’s the time pull out the vinyl and get serious. Biggles
  18. drbiggles

What would you do with these cabinets?

In the absence of perceived useful data, when in a public forum the immediate response is to turn to dark, hurtful jackassery aimed in one persons direction. I suggest this isn’t who we should strive to be as a group and need to treat each other kinder and more thoughtfully. Biggles
  19. drbiggles

I’m old, and I think they’re cool as hell. Pay them no mind. Measure the suckers. Post more pictures, time to get to work. What, if anything, do you have lying around? Biggles
  20. drbiggles

I looked, they’re in London. They should have access to some superb drivers that would be known for that fine English midrange that makes us weak in the knees. Add to that some nifty vintage English tubes? Oh my. Biggles
  21. drbiggles

Yes, your lower bass will be compromised. Instead of going down to the 20 to 30hz range, it’s going to be in the 50hz range or so. Akin to a PA/ sound reinforcement setup. Perfect for tubes, move the bass knob over a bit for warmth. Or yeah, you could just toss everything in the trash and...
  22. drbiggles

Oh man, they’re way cool. EV SP 15b for outdoor BBQ springtime food n beverage fun action time. Grab and run! Biggles
  23. drbiggles

Which woofers to replace the ones in my Sonus Faber speakers?

Hello Progger, The reason you’re not getting a direct answer to your question is that none of us want you to change out your drivers. Your loudspeakers were originally designed with those drivers in mind. You purchased Sonus Faber loudspeakers. Once you start changing drivers, you no...
  24. drbiggles

EV Aristocrats

No truer words. If you have a hankerin’, someday when you are able, jack in a proper amplifier or receiver designed for 2 channel music and try it without your AVR. The difference is remarkable. Biggles
  25. drbiggles

Sansui SP-2500 Woofer Repair

Hey, “Strange” gloss is factory. Use Aileene’s tacky glue, easy to find. Engineer what you need to to hold down the cone. Repair will last 40+ years, easy. Cheers! Biggles
Back
Top Bottom