Search results

1. R

Help identifying an Advent woofer

Basket frame, magnet, and dust cap look right, but it's hard to see the surround type and install. Also, all Smaller Advent woofers I've seen have ribbed cones.
  2. R

Acoustic Research AR6 $150?

Yes, I know what you mean - - - I've got three pairs of AR-6's and never paid that amount, but if the OP wants a small walnut-linen acoustic suspension classic AR model, I'm merely saying it is not a gouging price and this model is not always easy to obtain. Plus there is always the option of a...
  3. R

AR2X St. Paul, MN

Those look real nice. They are the early version with cloth surround woofer and tweeter with grille - - this speaker is basically same as AR-4 with a 10" woofer in larger cabinet. You'll be hard-pressed to find a better pair. The asking price is a little too much for me, but that's partly b/c I...
  4. R

Acoustic Research AR6 $150?

Blue Shadow might be thinking of the AR-7, but the AR-6 has identical cabinet volume to all of the 4-series speakers. The cabinets have different and very beautiful proportions with shallower depth to make it a true "bookshelf" speaker. Throughout its run, the AR-6 had several variations...
  5. R

AR Speakers - Which Model Are These?

I’m guessing late model AR-2x.
  6. R

Help with Wharfdale W60 caps

That electrolytic cap looks totally original - - tho' the manufacturer is unknown - - and it is not entirely unusual for these large can-type caps to retain their C values reasonably well over many decades. Even tho' the cap is rated at 12uF, it does have an allowable tolerance which might even...
  7. R

Speakers with questionable "upgrades"... post your findings here.

AR-2x with "extended" frequencies.
  8. R

KLH Tweeter back plate is not aligned

I think GD70's question here is what matters most. While the OP's back plate is very noticeably off-square, I have run across similar magnets which have a less-than-perfect square alignment. Pic shows 8" AR woofer. If it sounds good, leave it alone.
  9. R

Isolators? Yea or Nay?

Just a thought, but installing a wood floor over concrete requires great care and attention to detail from several perspectives. If the plywood subfloor is attached to wood furring, you might have a hollow drum under the floor which could be problematic.
  10. R

Isolators? Yea or Nay?

Just my $0.02, but my first two concerns would be to get L-100’s off the floor to raise the level of high range drivers, and also to begin considering some absorptive materials for that room. Methinks there are more primary issues than isolators.
  11. R

Rectilinear III's finally done.

Very nice job, those look terrific.
  12. R

Allison Five - Great little speakers

LC merely refers to an inductor (L) and capacitor (C) in circuit. An LCR notation would also include a resistor (R). The thing you're describing almost sounds like it acts like a fuse for tweeter protection - - - I think I've seen similar components used in some a/d/s speaker models.
  13. R

Thanks for the pic - - are all of those components globbed on to the back of the tweeter magnet? Also, I'm wondering if that resistor is original - - the product lit for the 110 mentions an LC circuit, but no R. Also attached are two pages of lit for the OP's model.
  14. R

I’d really love to see a pic of early model original Allison crossover. Seems like these rarely get posted here. I’d be interested to see if similar or different from components and arrangement of AR speakers, Roy Allison’s former company.
  15. R

Nice job restoring a terrific pair of small speakers. Not oak, but the veneer is walnut.
  16. R

Better sounding AR-2AX or AR-4X ?

Yeah, those look really nice with all of the features you mentioned. Drivers and grilles look great, but I've never seen an 8-inch AR woofer that uses eight (8) screws for attachment. Are those just added wood screws?
  17. R

Rectilinear III crossovers

This pic in my files is labelled as Rect-7 crossover.
  18. R

CANCELLED - ♫ Saturday March 21, 2020♫ New England Winter FrankenFest

Tough call, Jim, but I agree this is the best decision. With the number of major public events being postponed or cancelled every day in the news, it certainly seems prudent to cancel this non-critical gathering. I hope we can eventually try out the West Boylston location - - I think a lot of...
  19. R

Yes, I think you are right about both of these statements - - there were a few iterations of the 4xa, and as long as the tweeter switch offers distinct levels of output, it's not a bad idea to avoid those pesky pots. Pic attached shows some various drivers.
  20. R

The very earliest AR-4xa speakers were nearly a direct carry-over from the AR-4x, and still had real walnut veneer, cloth surround woofer, and in fact used the same A-P pot found in earlier AR's. Later 4xa issues eliminated the pot for the switch; replaced the cloth woofer with the universal...
  21. R

First pic: early version, no pots, factory still in Brooklyn. Second pic: Rect VI with one pot, still made in Brooklyn. As I understand, the Model VI was nearly identical to the Rect III except with a 10-inch woofer.
  22. R

AR3a Cabinet Restoration Tips

You'll get a ton of advice here about cabinet refinishing, The 3a's are veneer over panels made of plywood, MDF, or Nova-ply. The front nosing is solid wood. You'll get the best advice if you describe the species of veneer and post some pics.
  23. R

I wasn't aware of this either, but I suppose the evolution of the Mini-III had some parallels to the evolution of the larger Rect-III. I have never been able to find any version of schematic for the Mini-III, so I just might have to try to sketch one up myself someday.
  24. R

New member - opinions on AR18S tweeter in AR7?

You are fortunate to have rear-wired tweeters and you are correct about the oval plug being leftover from earlier cabinets. I don't think AR-7's ever used rope caulk sealant for drivers; instead, there is typically a thin white or black compression gasket underneath the tweeter flange. The...
  25. R

Recapping Rectilinear XI's- What will I need?

Not since about 15 minutes ago in post #3. From a cell phone or digital camera, I transfer digital pics to my desktop computer (an older iMac). I open them up on computer, adjust contrast and/or color, and then re-save the images in jpeg format of no more than 100KB file size. After that, it's...
Back
Top Bottom