Search results

1. mackat

Have a Great Birthday mackat!

Thank you all for the birthday wishes :) Can't believe I've been a member here for so long now!!
  2. mackat

What Record Are You Hearing Now?

Tinta y Tiempo by Jorge Drexler Incredible album by one of my favorite artists :) I was lucky enough to be able to see 2 of his shows recently - Los Angeles last summer and Tijuana this past weekend.
  3. mackat

JVC QL-10 Voltage Selector

The QL-10 uses a TT-101 motor unit, which is unfortunately notoriously unreliable and requires a lot of know-how to repair. Wonderful units when working properly.
  4. mackat

Denon DP80 & DP75 Owner's Thread

Thank you so much!
  5. mackat

Denon DP80 & DP75 Owner's Thread

Does anyone know what size mounting screws the Denon plinths take (DK-300, DK-110, etc.)? I need to purchase some and don’t have any to measure.
  6. mackat

Vinyl Engine alternatives?

I don't see that model listed on there.
  7. mackat

Technics SP10 mkII or Denon DP-80

That makes sense. I appreciate the clarification!
  8. mackat

Technics SP10 mkII or Denon DP-80

Now I’m curious - what is it?
  9. mackat

Sony 2251 and/or 2250 owners thread

I'm happy to see that this thread is still alive and kicking :) My 2251 is currently sitting unused, sans tonearm, still needing to be serviced. Maybe I'll get around to having it done, one of these years!
  10. mackat

New ML AT Cart for Modded ARXA

Not bad! The best savings is on the 740ML, which can be had for about $100 under US list.
  11. mackat

Thanks @JP! I was pretty satisfied with that result. I've wanted to make some resistance loading plugs to play around with but haven't gotten to it yet. As an aside, I meant to mention in my post that you can generally find the best prices on these carts at Thakker in Germany, even after paying...
  12. mackat

Whether to go with the 95 or the 540/740 series really depends on how much capacitance there is in your turntable interconnects and phono stage. The 95 series is okay with 200+ pF, while the 540/740 really works best with less than 200 pF. Here's a comparison of both at around 300 pF (190...
  13. mackat

Happy Birthday mackat!

Thank you all so much for the birthday wishes! I really appreciate it :)
  14. mackat

JVC QL-?? owners thread

i generally find Buyee's Air Delivery shipping very reasonable compared to the alternatives. It's usually shipped via FedEx or UPS in a couple days. Of course, being international shipping, it will never be cheap for a large item. $150-$400 is typical. I have had a good number of successful...
  15. mackat

Stylus for Ortofon SPU cartridge

I'm a bit curious as to why you wouldn't recommend VAS. I thought he did an excellent job on my 310MC a few years ago, and I haven't read anything less-than-positive about his services. I have heard some stories about the other two.
  16. mackat

Show us your cartridges and/or tonearms!

Thank you, it really has been a while! As soon as I saw the picture you posted, I thought that was the one. It's great to see that you're still enjoying it, 10+ years later :)
  17. mackat

Show us your cartridges and/or tonearms!

I found a good deal on a lightly used ART9XA in Norway and curiosity got the best of me :) Luckily, the seller was willing to ship internationally. I'm very happy I decided to go for it; it sounds amazing!
  18. mackat

Best budget cartridge between $100-$300?

If you have relatively low capacitance between your phono cables and phono preamp, I would recommend the VM740ML. You can buy it from Thakker for just under $250 shipped to this US. https://www.thakker.eu/tonabnehmer/audio-technica-vm-740-ml-moving-magnet-tonabnehmer/a-9089/ Here's what its...
  19. mackat

The Official SOTA Turntable Thread

Thank you! I have attached the included 2-page manual. This unit was shipped to me last week, so it may not be the latest revision. Sota was very transparent that this is an early version, and they are still refining the casework and perhaps other things as well. It seems like every phono stage...
  20. mackat

The Official SOTA Turntable Thread

I just received my Pyxi today. I've tried it both with MC and MM and first impressions are very positive! I'm not one for flowery audio descriptions, but it sounds great. It's worth reading the manual, as you're not supposed to have the unit turned on in MM mode without a cartridge connected...
  21. mackat

Alignment of advanced styli types - is it really that much trickier?

Not in my experience. I am skeptical of claims of dramatic differences in sound between fairly minor variations in alignment. While advanced styli may be more *sensitive* to proper alignment (at least compared to conical styli), alignment is alignment, and it is always a compromise. Each...
  22. mackat

Fidelity Research FR-14 Extra Weight

I would take another look at the screws. I didn't notice the one in the back that you had to remove the end stub to get to. Perhaps it could be affecting the internal wiring? What exactly do you mean by mistracking? Distorted sound? The arm sticking in one place?
  23. mackat

Great job! Let us know your findings once mounted again. Hopefully that will have resolved everything :)
  24. mackat

Recently, I considered opening a thread about this exact subject! I was very surprised to stumble upon this one just now. I have 2 FR-14's and would also love to have the W-35. I have not been able to find an actual photo of one either, except in the FR catalog. I did find an actual photo of the...
  25. mackat

Technics SP-10MKII Grounding and Feet (SH-10B3) Questions

I am using Isonoe 25 kg feet on my SH-10B3, which use M6 screws.
Back
Top Bottom