Search results

1. Arkay

James Horner dead in plane crash

Horner - could there be a more appropriate surname for a composer? The man was truly born to make music. His passing is very sad news, and a loss of us all. Condolences to those closest to him, on their loss, which is of course much greater than that of us who only knew his music. Rest in...
  2. Arkay

The view in Vancouver today

Breathe deep, the gathering gloom... (The Moody Blues) :D Seriously, that's terrible. If I were you, I'd try to run good air filters indoors while keeping windows and doors shut as much as possible, perhaps even sealed off with plastic film and/or tape. If it isn't too much, consider using...
  3. Arkay

A better way to clean vinyl and repair jackets

Obviously not a Roxette fan... Regardless of the album chosen, I didn't find that very funny. :no: :thumbsdn:
  4. Arkay

It is so exciting being a teacher...

I teach part-time, mostly test-prep stuff. I recently went back to work for the Kaplan organization. Nearly all their teaching staff here are "independent contractors" --not even employees. No benefits, no perquisites, no tenure - just an hourly wage for contact hours taught. I actually...
  5. Arkay

Drier Sheets for Mosquitoes

One of the most effective mosquito repellents is Vitamin B12. I used to get bit to pieces. My wife and I would go out for a walk together in the woods, and she'd have no bites or maybe just one or two, and I'd have a bunch (sometimes more than a dozen) of very painful ones. Then I started...
  6. Arkay

before you get confused look at every possibility ..

Thread bumped for relevance. :D
  7. Arkay

Jeez My RS 2.5s Have Been Groovin'

Were the other speakers monopoles, instead of bipole/dipole types like the RS 2.5s? That changes room interactions, and may change the optimal EQ settings. Vintage Infinities just sound better, anyway, with or without fiddlin' around. :D
  8. Arkay

My introduction to Infinity's - restoring the RS II

That bubble wrap is hilarious. :lmao: The inventive stupidity of people never ceases to amaze. I'm surprised the bubble wrap wasn't attached with Scotch tape. I once saw a set with chamois/suede surrounds, carefully done by a Japanese audiphile, in a high-end shop. He claimed they...
  9. Arkay

After Infinity, then what?

As an upgrade for the smaller/lesser classic Infinities, besides the things already mentioned you could also try finding a pair of Sequerra Pyramid Signature series (complete pyramid speakers, not just Met/Met 7 stuff). Pretty rare and hard to find, but their ribbon speakers deliver the kind of...
  10. Arkay

Are center channel speakers made/wired differently?

In my systems, the center speakers have always gone through either one of two processes: 1. They are initially sold as a pair, and then pass through a magical transmogrification process of prior ownership and physical dislocation, by means of which the two speakers are forever separated from...
  11. Arkay

Table prices getting out of control

The current economic situation aside, I'm sure glad I "stockpiled" some decent turntables when I did, several years back when they could be found cheaply. Here in Hong Kong, one can still find the occasional deal --I bought a Kenwood KR-650 recently for just over $100, for example, which I...
  12. Arkay

Table prices getting out of control

I think perhaps it's worth stepping back a little bit and looking at the larger picture. The government has been pumping out HUGE amounts of money since 2008, ostensibly to "stimulate" the economy. If all that money had flooded into the system, we'd have had massive inflation by now, but it...
  13. Arkay

Infinity Irs Gamma vs Rs1b

There is another reason to get and keep RS-IIs. Set up right, they sound really, REALLY good! :music: :thmbsp: :yes: I have sold or am selling a lot of my speaker collection, but not those RS-IIs. :no: And yes, I do have other Infinities, including Gammas with the servo box.
  14. Arkay

Infinity Irs Gamma vs Rs1b

There is another reason to get and keep RS-IIs. Set up right, they sound really, REALLY good! :music: :thmbsp: :yes: I have sold or am selling a lot of my speaker collection, but not those RS-IIs. :no: And yes, I do have other Infinities, including Gammas with the servo box.
  15. Arkay

PICS of my favorite Infinity.

In the right room, paired with the right gear, there is nothing else like them. They set the bar for, and "define" what hi-fi really is (IMO). The first time I heard them, those speakers spoiled my ears for all other speakers for several years afterward. They started a personal obsession with...
  16. Arkay

Infinity Irs Betas

Congratulations! :thmbsp: Great speakers. So when are you going to upgrade to IRS Vs? :D I've had a few chances to buy Betas, but not when I had sufficient room to put them, so I make do with Gammas (and others). No complaints, though.
  17. Arkay

Hi Mark, I got a chance to hear those puppies, and they sound darned good. Won't get to hear...

Hi Mark, I got a chance to hear those puppies, and they sound darned good. Won't get to hear the entire system together for at least a few months, until after our next move (perhaps longer?), but I'm optimistic. Good luck finding the rare HX-10000. One local place here has had at least...
  18. Arkay

Anyone know anything about this?

One other thought about singles: They can make great center speakers for an HT set-up, when you find a compatible pair of speakers for L-R mains. With speakers this old, they were often sold for use in mono systems (before the advent of stereo - no pun intended :D). So it is common for...
  19. Arkay

The Official H/K Citation Owners Thread

I just got rid of a (rebadged) 930 receiver last week as part of a "gear swap" deal. Used to own an 11 and 12 deluxe, but also sold those as part of the process of "de-gear-cluttering" and transforming myself from a collector/hoarder of quantity to a very selective connoisseur of quality. :D...
  20. Arkay

Ben E King passes...

True that it is natural with the aging process, and we can expect more of the people we grew up listening to to be appearing in obituaries as we slide closer to our own demises, but that doesn't make it any less poignant as it happens. R.I.P., Mr. King, and thanks for the music. :music...
  21. Arkay

Hitchhiking - I Actually Saw One Yesterday

Unfortunately, these days that girl was probably heading toward a place called trouble. Rather sad, when you think about it. Years ago, hitchhiking was a common way for returning service personnel to get home. It was an affordable way for students (and other young people) to get around. A...
  22. Arkay

DCM Owners. You have just been devalued!

That's why I keep a pair of Time Frames, but not a pair of Time Windows. Frames are always stronger than the windows they enclose. It's simply Logitech-ical. Seriously, that was some mixed-up stuff! There is one born every minute, I guess. (Born without ears? Without a brain? Without...
  23. Arkay

How to change Google back to Google USA?

Use DuckDuckGo. It uses Google's search engine, but strips out all your personally identifiable info. before sending it on to Google Search. Then it forwards the results back to you, without itself keeping any record of your searches. You'll win on two levels. First, it will solve your...
  24. Arkay

Did some dumpster diving late this evening (pics)

I have three storage units rented here, in one location. The owners/managers recently announced that they were moving, and everyone had to be fully out by the end of this month. They are offering free removal service to their new location, but not everyone likes the location, and some (like...
  25. Arkay

Why only 2 pages in the Infinity forum?

Have to use your Nudell to figure out some of the posts in this thread.
Back
Top Bottom