Search results

1. tnsilver

SME 3009 Series 2 cueing dashpot cleaning?

^ if that's the dashpot cover you've got, as opposed to the round ones found on early SME's, it should pop out. Remove the cue bar first, then, try to apply some reasonable heat (hair drier) on the dashpot cover, grab it, and pull up gently while jiggling.
  2. tnsilver

Dual 1229 - where this noise come from?

How so?
  3. tnsilver

Ortofon FF 15 XE MKII question

The FF15 / VMS is the same body, with identical electrical specs on all counts. so it's the stylus that makes the difference. Yes, 1.8 - 2.0g should do it.
  4. tnsilver

Thorens TP-16 tonearm intermittent headshell connection

^ Murphy's law dictates that when you want this pin out for rewiring it'll give you hell before it budges off, but sagging down? What do you know, it slips on it's own...
  5. tnsilver

Bizarre loud crackling / popping when touching tonearm!

^ couple posts earlier #27. I'm guessing the same thing with the KD-600.
  6. tnsilver

HK 670 internal phono stage, good or bad?

Hard to tell, competition had it so that nearly all these 70's receivers had pretty much the same standard phono-stage specs, and pretty much the same electronics. I find the phono-stages on these mostly mediocre, even with the TOTL models, which this is. It's not bad - just nothing to write...
  7. tnsilver

Rega planar 6 low end feedback problems

Me? Really? Have I offended you in any way? Have I encouraged you to spend an additional cent? I've pointed you to a simple, free test with a cart from a spare turntable. I understand your frustration, but that's ungrateful. I'm gladly moving on.
  8. tnsilver

You wouldn't tow it to the dealership over a flat tire or an empty gas tank either - would you? This could be the turntable equivalent of what you're having. You need not spend a cent more to find out.
  9. tnsilver

Dual 1229 idler wheel not contacting the motor

It's been a while since I had a 1229 on the bench, so no exemplar to look at ATM, but IIRC, the idler needs the platter rim to get lightly pressed against the motor pulley. This is common to many idler turntables. Test this with the platter on to make sure you're on the correct path.
  10. tnsilver

Cartridge identification please

^ it's friendly and rather well executed, despite the bulky look. It won't restrict your cart choice with anything but the most exotic high compliance carts.
  11. tnsilver

TD-115 MK2 not spinning at all

It's indeed a likely suspect, but the motor tachometer (FG) is another culprit, and if it's shot (no feedback on pins 2 and 3), the motor controller IC won't power the motor from pin 16. Also, check if you have emitter/collector voltage on T203, just to make sure this isn't a power supply issue.
  12. tnsilver

Marantz TT-15S1 spinning to fast after moving to EU

True. I've assumed it refereed to what I thought was the phase shift capacitor (black/white) which, on second sight, may be a fuse holder. It all implies there should be a phase shift capacitor somewhere in that unit. In light of all of this, I'd go further and speculate it needs a replacement...
  13. tnsilver

Yep, that one. I think you're correct. It's black and white. The black kinda blended in and made it look smaller than it really is.
  14. tnsilver

Rule out the cart. That's the immediate suspect. Just take the time to swap it and test again. Small price to pay if that turns out to be the culprit. (I don't mean the exact, that's no small dough. I mean the time).
  15. tnsilver

Ortofon FF 15 XE and BIC 960 turntable

Yes, it's a nice cart, but only as good as the stylus, and there's lots of junk after-market replacements out there - so watch out and try to get an original. You'll need the same intake shaft profile that you've got now on the old yellow stylus grip, it's a 'universal' profile - like the one...
  16. tnsilver

^ I've seen a phase shit cap inside that motor in one of the pics. So dual sine 90° apart, I guess. SG4 supports that by design. It's highly configurable. Good idea!
  17. tnsilver

I couldn't care less about Rega and I have no dog in this, except for curiosity... Dunno about physics-1 though. It could be mechanics. There must be a reason for this hum. Expenses aside, aren't you curious?
  18. tnsilver

That's great news! Hats off to @ralphfcooke :thumbsup: I'm not clear on the pedigree of this turntable, but it looks like a ClearAudio design. Marantz, at least on the customer support level, may not have a clue.
  19. tnsilver

Magic Eraser

I use lantadyme and potato cactus in a vial of pure herblore.
  20. tnsilver

Magic Eraser

Love? Wrong magic potion! Try this: If it's 'clean' you're after, as in 'healthy' - try just this. dry!
  21. tnsilver

One or two general setup pics during playback (different angles) are usually advised, for proper orientation - then issue specific closeups. Cart in HS, tonearm on vinyl, power supply wiring, platter position relative to deck, motor, spindle, bare deck - no platter, belt on pulley, etc... it...
  22. tnsilver

Buy rare stylus from sketchy website?

I don't post crap on social media, let alone slander that can get me in trouble with the sharks. PayPal had taken their toll on me in the form of various fees cast on my online transactions. However, through the years, they had fourfold that in my favor - by saving my poor rear end, and getting...
  23. tnsilver

One pic = 1000 words. For all I know this could be the cart's rear end dragging on the vinyl, loose HS leads, dust-cover picking up vibes, a bum power supply wall-wart or a shot main bearing. This always ends up with something the OP hadn't mentioned. Post some pics please. BTW: Rule out the...
  24. tnsilver

Tone arm okay or loose?

Dunno. For this type of video you need to wiggle the tonearm back and forth, not sideways, and be quite picky about the audio quality, as it's very difficult to recognize bearing leeway visually, w/o actually feeling it.
  25. tnsilver

Thorens TD-145 MK1

It sounds mechanical, not electronic. You'll have to flip the TT over and watch what's going on from the bottom. The knob assembly has to go an extra step for 45, and it's likely the move doesn't get the microswitch or the relay (solenoid) fully engaged. Don't rely on hearing the microswitch...
Back
Top Bottom