Search results

1. js bach

Kenwood KR-8050 Receiver: Any good? What do they sound like? Would it mate well with Vandersteen 2C’

Hi, I'm looking for some comments on the Kenwood KR-8050 High Speed DC Stereo Receiver. Is it any good? What are the sound characteristics? Would the 8050 mate well with Vandersteen 2C speakers? The only other Kenwood gear I've owned includes the KR-5030, KA-7100 and KA-7300. Of those three, I...
  2. js bach

Sound Quality Comparison: Micromega MyDAC -or- PS Audio Digital Link III (stock)

Has anyone listened to both that can give me a description of the sound qualities of each? I'm on a tight budget, and can squeeze roughly $250-$300 for a DAC. The PS Audio's seem to fluctuate at different prices on the used market--some as low as $200. The Micromega's can be had for $250 new...
  3. js bach

CD player recommendations to mate with Classe & Vandersteen

Hi All, Can anyone recommend some CD players that will be an excellent match with a Classe CAP-101 integrated amp and Vandersteen 2C speakers? Cabling is DH Labs Q-10 and Air Matrix. I listen to all kinds of music... pop, rock, classical, ambient/electronic. But, mostly rock and prog rock. My...
  4. js bach

What size volume Potentiometer do I need per my gear specifications?

Hi Folks, I'm looking to build my own passive volume control. My inspiration is the Emotiva Control Freak. From what I have found, it uses a Bourns 4-gang, 10k potentiometer. It seems to work well with my gear. Would I be correct in that I would use the same impedence pot (10k) if I build my...
  5. js bach

Did Adcom make a GCD-750 Blue Board? (see attached pic)

Opened the hood of my Adcom GCD-750 to check the fuse rating and clean the laser, and I noticed that the board is blue, as opposed to the normal green PCB. I know some of the GFP-750 preamps came in a "blue board" version, but now I'm curious if the cd player had some as well? Any other GCD-750...
  6. js bach

Anyone using an Emotiva Control Freak as a passive preamp?

Hi Folks, Anyone using a Emotiva Control Freak as a passive preamp? If so, what are your impressions versus other passive preamps? I'm trying to get an idea of sound quality as I'm contemplating using one (XLR balanced version) with an Adcom GCD-750 and Odyssey Stratos amp. My budget is such...
  7. js bach

Best amp that mates well with Vandersteen 2c's (see list)

Hi folks, I'm looking for some amp/preamp or integrated amp recommendations that will mate well with a pair of Vandersteen 2C's. My room size is 14x14. I know it's kinda small, but I have them placed pretty well and they sound good with my Sansui 4000 receiver (45wpc) and Denon PMA-1060...
  8. js bach

$300-$400 full-range speaker recommendation that will mate well with...

... my vintage Sansui 4000 receiver and new Onkyo C-7030 cd player? Cables and wires are Mogami (10-Audio.com) - Budget is $400 max. - Full range meaning useful bass to at least 40hz (ideal 35hz).
  9. js bach

Would my Sansui 4000 receiver power Vandersteen 2c's?

Hi all, I realize it would "power" them, but is the 4000 in the realm of being sufficient to run the 2c's effectively vs trying to run a pair of Polk SDA's or something. The 4000 puts out a hefty 50wpc, which is like 80-100wpc today. I'm currently running a pair of Genesis 210's that sound...
  10. js bach

Best $200 CD player to match my vintage receiver and speakers?

Hi folks, I'm looking for my best sounding option for a new or used cd player (new or old) to mate well with my Sansui 4000 receiver and PSB Image 5T speakers. Cabling is Mogami from 10-Audio. As for vintage candidates, I'm thinking stuff Iike Cal Audio Icon mkII, Nakamichi OMS-7aII, Rotel...
  11. js bach

Kenwood KA-7100 vs. Denon DRA-625 !?

Weird comparison I know, but I'm currently using a friend's Denon DRA-625 to run my NHT VT1.2's and I'm looking to possibly pick up a Kenwood KA-7100 to replace it. My buddy needs his 625 back to use for some recording. Both are 60-65 wpc and the 625 powers the NHT's better than I thought it...
  12. js bach

Adcom Experts: Is the GFA-2 any good?

One of these popped up locally and I'm looking for an amp to power my 2-channel system. All I could find out there is that it's a dual-mono amp that puts out 100 wpc at 8 ohms. He's the original owner and it's in superb condition. Can anyone tell me how it sounds?
  13. js bach

Best 80's Onkyo Integra amps?

Hi all, I used to have an Onkyo Integra A-8019 integrated amp. It blew me away in sound quality compared to most of my 80's Denon DRA/PMA series stuff. Not on cleanliness or distortion, but rather in musicality--if that makes any sense. It also had some great bass depth and punch. Later, I...
  14. js bach

Adcom GFA-5802 power amp: Thoughts? Comments?

Anyone have one? How would you descibe their sound? I'd be running it with a Theta Miles cd player and NHT VS1.2 tower speakers. I'm looking for something that has great low end response and slam, yet not muddy. Of course, smooth mids and highs. You know... The whole package :)
  15. js bach

Which would YOU choose: Adcom GFA-5802 <or> Audio Refinement (YBA) Multi 2?

Hi folks, Just picked a Theta Miles cd player with analog volume control. I used to have one a few years ago and loved it. A good friend of mine had found one and bought it with the hopes I would pick it up--and I did! Now I'm looking to pair it with an amp and can connect direct from the...
  16. js bach

Follow-up: Help me pick a speaker based on the following criteria...

Hi folks, As a follow-up to my recent thread regarding power recommendations to sufficiently drive a pair of Polk SDA-2A's (I may be purchasing) I've been contemplating some alternatives due to budget and available options in my area. I would like to hear your opinions on the Polk RT20P...
  17. js bach

Which receiver (of this list) goes best with Polk SDA-2A's

Hi Folks, I'm on the verge potentially picking up a pair of Polk SDA-2A speakers and I'm looking at the following list of choices for power sources. I need some help in figuring out which would sound best with the 2A's. My room size is 15ft x 13ft. Another possible speaker option is a pair...
  18. js bach

Preamp recommendation with Carver TFM-35x?

Hi folks, Recently acquired a Carver TFM-35x power amp. Looking for recommendations on preamps that would mate well with it. I'd be using this with my Mirage M-3si speakers and modded Nakamichi CDP-2a cd player. Budget is $250 or less. As always, thanks for the input!
  19. js bach

Onkyo Integra A-8019 Integrated Amp for $100. Any good?

Onkyo Integra A-8019 integrated amp. Found one locally for $100. Are these any good? Can anyone describe the sound of this particular model? Are they... Thin? Full? Warm? Smooth? Analytical? Cold? Bright? How would it compare with a Denon PMA-900V? Thanks, jsb
  20. js bach

Who Wins? Onkyo A-8019 or Denon PMA-900V?

Integrated vs integrated. Currently just picked up a 900V and now an Onkyo Integra A-8019 integrated amp pops up locally. Not familiar with Onkyo at all and never owned any of their gear. I've heard they have a sweet sound, but wanted to know if the 8019 is a good one? The 8019 is 100wpc, wheras...
  21. js bach

Best CD Player from this list...

Which older cd player(s) from the list below do you think sounds the best AND would go well with my Denon PMA-900V Integrated Amp and Mirage M-3si speakers? 1. Sony CDP-650ESD II 2. Sony CDP-507ESD 3. NAD 5100 4. DBX DX-5 5. California Audio Labs Icon MKII 6. California Audio Labs Icon...
  22. js bach

Help Needed: Faint music still heard with volume all the way down.

I'm working on a Denon DRA-1035R I picked up not too long ago. I got a copy of the service manual to check the adjustments... Idle current etc. My initial issue was that at really low volumes, I wouldn't be able to hear anything out of the right speaker. However, until I reached say 8 o'clock...
  23. js bach

Any Denon PMA-900V Owners? I just picked one up...

...and it sounds pretty damn good. I can't imagine what these sounded like right out of the box! Compared with my DRA-1035r, the 900v seems to have a more musical sound--if that makes any sense? It's not as analytical sounding as the 1035. Any other 900v owners out there? Since everything is...
  24. js bach

Denon's House-Sound (80’s & 90’s): The design teams and sound differences.

Hi Folks, I'm a Denon fan; I have been since my first two pieces of gear... a DRA-635R receiver and DCD-1500 CD Player. Two pieces which I believe (according to internet writings here and there) were designed by two different design teams that worked for Denon during two different time...
  25. js bach

Denon's Stereo House-Sound (80’s & 90’s): The design teams and the gear.

I'm a Denon fan; I have been since my first two pieces of gear... a DRA-635R receiver and DCD-1500 CD Player. Two pieces which I believe (according to internet writings here and there) were designed by two different design teams that worked for Denon during two different time periods (80’s &...
Back
Top Bottom