Search results

1. joelongwood

HELP with EV 15TRXB

Hello all, I'm hoping someone here can help me out. I've searched everywhere to no avail. I recently acquired a mint condition EV 15TRXB, which I'm planning to install in a closet for an infinite baffle. To my eyes, it is a thing of beauty. Unfortunately, I have been unable to listen to it...
  2. joelongwood

AU-777 Question

I'm hoping someone can sort this out for me. I recently acquired an AU-777 amplifier which, besides being in great condition cosmetically, sounds wonderful with my AR-5 speakers. But I'm puzzled by the "MODE" switches on the lower right of the faceplate. The layout and functions are different...
  3. joelongwood

How is this possible? (a bit long)

I started a similar thread in the General Audio forum but received no comments (maybe because I asked no questions?), so I figured the Tube forum would be the proper place to go. I've had a German-made AudioValve RKV MKII headphone amplifier for over 5 years now, and for headphone usage it has...
  4. joelongwood

You CAN go home again!

……………at least in things audio. I've had a German-made AudioValve RKV MKII headphone amplifier for over 5 years now, and for headphone usage it has been a superb performer. However, for speaker usage, the specs didn’t look none to good, particularly the wattage rating. Here’s the specs...
  5. joelongwood

DCM TF-700 ....Delicate?

I'm hoping someone can answer a few questions about this speaker, as I'll be looking at a pair tomorrow. and knowing myself, I'm pretty sure they'll be following me home. First off, is the size 41 inches high by 17 inches wide? I read somewhere that it is the same size as the TF-600, whose specs...
  6. joelongwood

Frazier Elevens on the bay!

Obviously not mine, but if I was closer they would be. :D Serial #s 5 & 6................how many were made? http://cgi.ebay.com/No-Reserve-Frazier-Model-11-speakers-107-db-1-watt_W0QQitemZ220202398414QQihZ012QQcategoryZ50597QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
  7. joelongwood

AR12.......VERY impressed!

As some of you may or may not know, I've been quite addicted to the sound of vintage AR speakers, and, over the past few years have accumulated quite a few examples of AR speakers from their heyday (late 50s to early to mid 70s). I never had any interest in the late 70s models, even though I had...
  8. joelongwood

Mystery woofer..........Help.

I'm hoping someone can answer a question that's been nagging me for years now. About 10 years ago, I brought my AR-5s to an authorized AR repair shop for woofer replacement, as the foam had completely deteriorated and I knew nothing about re-foaming. In any case, they replaced the woofers with...
  9. joelongwood

Why is this so?

A friend of mine dropped off a curbside find a few days a go................a Technics SL-D2 Direct Drive semi-automatic TT. It was filthy, but looked intact, except for its missing headshell and dust cover, and a broken arm rest. I cleaned it up yesterday, plugged it in, and everything seemed...
  10. joelongwood

Onkyo A-8190 Pre-Outs?

I'm hoping someone can explain to me the purpose of the pre-outs on the rear of my Onkyo Integra A-8190 integrated amp. I have a number of amps and receivers that have both pre out and main in. That I can understand........I've used these to insert various accessories such as equalizers...
  11. joelongwood

Bozak 401 Rhapsody Value?

There's a pair of Bozak Rhapsodys on epay now, and they are only 25 miles from me, so I can do away with both the hazards of shipping and the cost as well. They look to be in very good shape, and I was hoping someone could give me an idea of what limit I should put on myself (I'm kind of...
  12. joelongwood

Rectilinear Redux

For whatever reason, Rectilinear speakers seem to fly under the radar, except for the famous, large Rectilinear III, in particular the earlier High Boy version. Even those can be had for very little outlay, most likely because, being so big and heavy, they are usually for pick-up only. I picked...
  13. joelongwood

Rectilinear XI. Anyone?

I just won an auction this evening for a pair of these ($13.05). I already have pairs of first generation Highboys, Low Boys, and Mini IIIs. I'm guessing the Xi model is from the early 70s, as it has the same ugly plastic grill as the Lowboys. I have no idea what drivers are in it. I'm guessing...
  14. joelongwood

Spacers for cartridge installation?

I'm wondering if there is any way to determine if and when those little plastic spacers are needed between cartridge body and headshell on various TT's that I have. The lineup right now is a Dual 1228 w/Stanton 681EEE, Empire 598 III w/Shure M97xe, Dual 1209 w/Shure M91ED, Harman Kardon TC45C...
  15. joelongwood

Done with Dual!

What the heck is the problem with Dual turntables? Or maybe it's just me. Anyway, I just acquired a Dual 1242 fully automatic belt drive TT for $10, including a very nice Ortofon TM7 cartridge/stylus. I cleaned it up, adjusted tracking and anti-skate, and plugged 'er in.......worked great, and...
  16. joelongwood

Wharfedale W40 = Impressive!

About 6 months ago I found an ad on Craigslist which stated the seller had a storage room filled with speakers that he wished to get rid of. Long story short, I gave him $500 and brought home a pair of AR3s, three pair of 2axs, two pair 4xs, a mint condition AR Receiver w/walnut cab, 2 pair...
  17. joelongwood

Recommendations?

As some of you are aware, my ears recently discovered the magic of Sansui power coupled with vintage AR speakers. Right now, I have a Sansui 9090 powering AR3a's and AR5's. I also have a Sansui Model Six powering 3 pairs of AR's........AR5 (yes, another pair), AR4x, and AR2ax (post 1970...
  18. joelongwood

I'm a Believer!

You Sansui guys probably take an "I told you so," attitude when someone posts in this forum for the first time extolling the virtues of Sansui gear. Well, here's another one........... I have quite a few receiver and amplifier brands and models around, (Yamaha, Pioneer, Marantz, etc.), and...
  19. joelongwood

Out of Control!

Geez, you'ld think these were AR3a's. As a matter of fact, that's what AR3a's were going for a little over a year ago. But AR6's? This vintage thing is becoming way too popular...
  20. joelongwood

HomerJSimpson

I just received an orphan AR2 from Rich. It was very well packed and is just as he said. All in all, it was a very pleasant transaction with good communication. I would not hesitate to do business with him again.......seems like a great guy! Thanks, Rich. :D
  21. joelongwood

How can I resist?

I just got a call from a guy on Craigslist that I bought some speakers from a few weeks ago, and he said he has more for me. What I got a few weeks ago: One pair of AR3.....pretty beat cabs, no grills, but otherwise fine, except for the corroded pots which I jumpered temporarily until I can...
  22. joelongwood

AR3a's + LOTS of stuff (Florida P/U)

No affiliation......this would be in the van now if I was nearby. http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-RECEIVERS-AR-3A-SPEAKERS-TURNTABLE-CASSETTE_W0QQitemZ330080428767QQihZ014QQcategoryZ50596QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
  23. joelongwood

A new high?

Based on the previous auction of low serial number AR3 speakers reaching over $1000, this one promises to yield an even higher amount. Serial numbers 0005 and 0020............how high will they go...
  24. joelongwood

Help with EPI speakers

I've been acquiring quite a lot of speakers recently from friends, thrifts, and epay.......way too many! Two weeks ago it was a pair of Marantz HD-770's. Last week it was AR2a's, AR5's, and yesterday it was pair of Cerwin Vega AT-100's (AT-15 in U.S.) I just got a call from a friend who said he...
  25. joelongwood

Too good to be true?

Could be a great score on CL if the vultures haven't come in to feast already. It's been posted for about 4 hours so far, and I just e-mailed the seller. It's less than an hour's drive from me. We'll see.:drool: Here's what the ad says: Estate sale- old Marantz stereo pieces with tubes like...
Back
Top Bottom