Search results

1. RxDx

KLH speakers reference thread (original models/Henry Kloss era) 1957-1977

Click on the blue icon representing you, on the far left. That takes you to your profile, including all your posts. From there you can find the ones you put in this thread. Or use your browser to set up a link to the thread. As far as I know, posts in a thread are chronological, and threads...
  2. RxDx

AR 3 vs AR 4x speakers

That's the most sense anyone has ever made to me on this topic.
  3. RxDx

KLH 6 Project - Lacking in Good Bass Response/Punch

Are they out of phase?
  4. RxDx

KLH model 22

You're seeing it.
  5. RxDx

What are fully restored AR-2ax's worth?

Part of the reason I avoided venturing a guess. No way I would know your market.
  6. RxDx

What are fully restored AR-2ax's worth?

Not sure why you don't check ebay or hifishark sales. Get the precise number you're seeking.
  7. RxDx

KLH Model Twenty speakers

Same electronics as the Twenty, but in some nice matched cabinetry. Not worth $2000+ extra to me, but it might be to someone...
  8. RxDx

HELP!!!! AR3a!

What's wrong with yours? New surrounds are just normal maintenance on the foam surround version. Otherwise nothing matches the sound of the original(s). I think the cloth and foam surround versions sound pretty close, but of course I'd chase a match to mine if I was looking.
  9. RxDx

Acoustic Research AR18J

usually a part number on the woofer magnet
  10. RxDx

How should/could i run these in parallel a+b?

You'll need at least one more amp. In my case, my primary receiver won't drive my main speakers at all, so I use it like a preamp. I have two more amps and send front speaker signals ("pre out" not speaker output) from the primary receiver to one and rear speaker signals to the other.
  11. RxDx

KLH Model Twenty and Model Seventeen Why?

Far fewer comments about the Twenty, far less awareness of it. Probably far fewer made since it only appears to have been sold with the Model Twenty system. And "best East coast speaker"? KLH itself- only considering complete systems- made at least half a dozen better speakers, mainly due IMO...
  12. RxDx

KLH Model One & Janszen Model 130 (Recap/Restoration Help)

Super work and nice review! You have definitely encouraged me to get the Janszens finished. Maybe that will happen :-)
  13. RxDx

Excellent work.
  14. RxDx

That's so cool- standing behind an almost 70 year old product. And props to you for taking it to the nth degree. Should indeed be done correctly. I'd follow you on the tweeters, but I think the transformers are toast on mine. And they're just not high enough on the fix-it list to pursue...
  15. RxDx

KLH Model Six Internal Improvement Assistance

You're not chopping through the woofer opening. It has some bolts and some kind of sealer. It many take a minute to pry the woofer loose, but it can be done non-destructively. Access to the innards is far easier at the point, compared to the older versions.
  16. RxDx

I wouldn't go through the back at all if not required. The earlier Sixes did not have removable woofers, so there was no choice.
  17. RxDx

Well, another good story ruined by an eyewitness... I'd definitely go with his recommendations. And quiz him about the parts you aren't clear on. I also only needed one coat of sealer on mine. I didn't detect much difference before and after. I don't think they were that dry initially.
  18. RxDx

I don't think so. I suggested a couple that might have saved the nut. Local big box hardware stores should have replacements. Also maybe vintage radio web sites.
  19. RxDx

If the speakers are working, I'd target the weakest links in the electronic chain first- and maybe only- which are typically the bigger paper caps. Unless you see +/- marks they are probably non-polar. Use at least the same voltage. I don't think you need to go higher. Get as many other...
  20. RxDx

I'd probably put tape all around the nut, then lay some water pump pliers down on the tape and give it a go. Ideally you can put enough downward force on them so they don't slip off. At least that's Plan A. Plan B: a small drift to tap sideways on the nut. Maybe it will break loose.
  21. RxDx

Yeah, I think the Six was the tipping point. It was half as much as the Model Four, basically the same system. Doesn't look like it took too long for them to figure things out. The Six came out like nine months after the first models.
  22. RxDx

Pretty accurate. One point I'd make is that Villchur was probably more the engineer than Kloss. Villchur designed AR's systems, though he didn't invent acoustic suspension. There was prior art from RCA in the late '30s, I believe, that caused him to abandon attempts to patent the design. Kloss...
  23. RxDx

KLH 17 Tweeter Replacement Q's

Models Six and Twenty use the same tweeter.
  24. RxDx

Mfgrs determined particle board is more resistant to resonances, not to mention cheaper, hence the switchover. Wire nuts are common. Soldering is better. Yeah, if you've got a dual 4uf cap, looks like both red leads would need to go to the tweeter. Can't tell what you're calling the newer...
  25. RxDx

KLH model one value

The 1-30s are ~60 years old, way past the shelf life of paper caps. I'd probably look at both units- there are four or five schematics based on serial number, and you might have different iterations. The grilles are in a slot and slide out (down) when loose. Put the speaker on its back or side...
Back
Top Bottom