Search results

1. Tbone289

NAD Owner's - Unite

Yes, it doesn't matter if they're "directional" or not. I've done this upgrade on all my NADs integrated amplifiers (C-370, C320BEE, etc.) and, IMO, you shouldn't expect this to be a major upgrade, but it does enhance clarity a bit.
  2. Tbone289

Any Schiit Modius Users?

I use a 1KVA Topaz low-capacitance transformer. Read more here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/topaz-low-capacitance-isolation-transformers-for-affordably-clean-power.857448/
  3. Tbone289

Any Schiit Modius Users?

HAR-D-HAR! You don't think I can tell you're full of it? :p:D Schiit CS has responded. I don't want anyone to think that Schiit's customer service is ignoring me--they honestly have offered nothing other than great service to me at any time in the past, and this has been no exception. I will...
  4. Tbone289

Any Schiit Modius Users?

Yep. Bimby, Modi3, ADC-600, and everything else works with no issue. I should probably mention that I have a BS degree in electronics and though I no longer work in that field, I have quite a bit of experience. My guess at this point is that the isolation transformer I use to power my amp and...
  5. Tbone289

Any Schiit Modius Users?

All of the obvious things have been tested... IEC cords, outlets, etc.
  6. Tbone289

Any Schiit Modius Users?

It's dead. Plug it in to AC mains, power switch on, no LEDs are lit. A normally operating Gungnir MB will show two lights during boot-up--the source LED and the clock mode LED blinks until boot-up is complete. That is with inputs connected or not. How it has passed QA twice, I have no idea...
  7. Tbone289

Any Schiit Modius Users?

This is the second time with this particular issue with the Gungnir. It has been in for repair 3 times total so far. Once they finally agree to repairing it this time, it will be the fourth time in for repair over the life of the unit. I'm having some trouble this time convincing them that...
  8. Tbone289

Any Schiit Modius Users?

I saw that. I think it's a good idea for them to have something like this and the Modius at this price point. Once again, they've proven they can offer a lot of functionality and performance at a great price.
  9. Tbone289

Any Schiit Modius Users?

I have no idea, but it's out of the ordinary for them. My Gungnir is the only piece of Schiit I've owned that has required repair. It has been in for repair twice before for other reasons, and turnaround has always been good. I'm not sure what's going on this time.
  10. Tbone289

Any Schiit Modius Users?

It looks like it will be a while before we can make this happen. I received the Gungnir MB back from Schiit repair yesterday, and it's DOA again. I'm going to divert my attention to modifying the GDA-100. I'm getting a little bit bored with the Modi MB I've been using while waiting for the...
  11. Tbone289

Any Schiit Modius Users?

Maybe we should swap for a while? I'd be game. Like you, it was hard for me to part with that $500 for the upgrade after liking the DS version so much. The Gungnir MB (A2) is about as neutral as neutral gets. I didn't like the midrange-forward nature of the Bimby at all. I owned one for...
  12. Tbone289

Any Schiit Modius Users?

Oh I know! I've been very satisfied with my setup as well for the past year or so, and I'm once again at that point where I'd have to spend so much more money to realize any benefit that I would hate myself if I did. The Modius for me is mostly a curiosity having owned so many different DACs...
  13. Tbone289

Any Schiit Modius Users?

Right now I'm waiting for my Gungnir MB to return from repair, so I'm jonesin' a bit. Modi MB is serving me well for the time being, and I'm modifying an Adcom GDA-600 as well. The Gungnir MB went in for the Unison upgrade a couple of weeks ago and came back DOA, so it's made a couple of trips...
  14. Tbone289

Any Schiit Modius Users?

:blah: :D
  15. Tbone289

Any Schiit Modius Users?

You're killin' me. You've just about talked me into trying out a Modius, though I have zero need for one. Thanks alot. :rolleyes: :D You and I seem to have very similar tastes in DACs from prior discussion, so it's comments like this that make it hard to resist. I'll try to refrain from...
  16. Tbone289

Any Schiit Modius Users?

That's hard to say. I've never had any distortion issues when using an Android w/OTG cable to a Schiit DAC. I don't own a Modius, but I've owned many Schiit DACs from the original Modi through Gungnir MB. I can't say that I've used the OTG cable with all of them, however. I'd suggest a...
  17. Tbone289

Dac Issues

So, after reading through all of that rambling, I guess the issue is that the TV optical is distorted and you think that splitting the digital audio out from HDMI will be an improvement. Is that correct?
  18. Tbone289

Any Schiit Modius Users?

I completely understand. Enjoy your new setup Steve, and we'll be here when you come back.
  19. Tbone289

Any Schiit Modius Users?

I would agree that it would likely be a good match with the Grados, and many Beyers as well. The synergy with my HD650s is not the best. I'm looking forward to your impressions of both.
  20. Tbone289

Any Schiit Modius Users?

The Asgard 2 and 3 are very different beasts. I will say this... To me, the Magni 3 has better dynamics whereas the Asgard 2 is more smooth and natural. The Magni 3 is also quieter, but the Asgard 2 isn't exactly noisy.
  21. Tbone289

Any Schiit Modius Users?

I'm interested in your impressions of the Asgard 2 after you spend some time with it. I've had one for a while and it's...different. Not in a bad way, but I hesitate to be more specific for fear of influencing you. :cool: You'll see it in my sig, but I'll admit that I actually listen to the...
  22. Tbone289

Any Schiit Modius Users?

Good to hear. The Jensen PC-2XR Transformer is usually what I see recommended. The Rolls unit is much cheaper. https://www.jensen-transformers.com/product/pc-2xr/
  23. Tbone289

Schiit Bifrost (non MB) or Schiit Modi MB??

Yes they are.
  24. Tbone289

All I've ever used with my Gungnir is S/PDIF, and I'm upgrading to Unison and switching to USB. I made that decision based upon posted results of testing and subjective sound quality comments from multiple forums. My S/PDIF source is coax from a PC though, not a transport...
  25. Tbone289

Honestly, as much as I love the Gumby, I think today I might be satisfied with the BF 2 and not have to go any further up the chain. That is only supposition though, since I've not heard the BF 2 and can only go by reviews, tests and comments about its performance. I guess I also want to...
Back
Top Bottom