Search results

1. Man in Cave

Sansui 9090 Protection Indicator Light Question

I just bought this receiver. After I power up the unit the protection Indicator lights red, flashes and then goes out. The relay clicks. However, no green light lights. Here's my questions: Could the green lamp be burned out? There's no jumpers in the "pre out" and "main in" connections. Could...
  2. Man in Cave

Color Coded Speaker Ohm Connectors?

This amp has no writing on it to identify which connector is 4, 8 or 16 ohms. I'm using the red & black connectors for 8 ohm speakers right now. It sounds fine. Anyone familiar with ohm connector color coding? Thanks. MIC
  3. Man in Cave

What Have I Done (to my Fisher X-100 3 Integrated)?

Had to shut off the Fisher integrated quickly. I heard a hum from the left channel as I prepared to spin another record and quickly looked at the amp and sure as heck the most left output tube shone very bright. The only thing I did was remove the cartridge to sweep it and then replace it, like...
  4. Man in Cave

Tube Dreamer Awakened: Fisher X-100 3

So, I'm the proud owner of my first "working" stereo tube amp. My gosh it's been a long time coming since I got back into this way of listening to music. 2011. The stereo happens to be Fisher, an X-100 3, I believe. Never owned any Fisher gear before, 'til now. I auditioned it this afternoon for...
  5. Man in Cave

Packers/Giants Pepsi Commercial Spinning Record Counter Clockwise?

During the Packers/Giants game, at around the end of the 1st quarter, there's a Lady Gaga commercial sponsored by Pepsi for the Superbowl LI Halftime Show. There's an animated turntable spinning a record counter clockwise, toward the needle. I DVR'd the game and rewound the commercial a few...
  6. Man in Cave

Which Decade Made The Worst Christmas Music? Which Decade Made The Best?

I'd like to hear from others that enjoy Christmas Music. Which decade made the worst and best, and why? S.J.
  7. Man in Cave

Tube Center Pins Busted Off...Why?

Question: I'm sure this has been asked before. Why would someone bust off the center pin on a tube? All but one of the 6550C tubes on the power amp I just bought has the center pin busted off. And then how do you know if it's lined up correctly if the center pin is gone? If it's lined up...
  8. Man in Cave

Please Help Identify This Stereo Tube Amp (Kit?)

If some of the Tube Audio Masters could please chime in, it'd be most appreciated. I'm reasonably certain it's a kit. The output transformers read Thordarson. The amp is a beast, 35lbs. Thanks in advance. S.J.
  9. Man in Cave

Small/Flea Watt Tube Amp? And The Possibilities...

I was able to get this little RCA amp from an old Reader's Digest Record player. I'd like to find out what is its potential. Any input is always appreciated. Could this amp feed my Belle Klipsch? What is the wattage potential? Tube compliment: 1. 12AX7 1. 5Y3-GT 2. 6BQ5 Two little...
  10. Man in Cave

Man In Cave's Man Cave Journey Has Begun

I've enjoyed this forum for quite some time. So much information, so little time to learn it all. But it is time to build my man cave. There are so many wonderful spaces here to look at and I enjoy them all but I've always hesitated showing my space in the basement because it's fairly crude...
  11. Man in Cave

The Tube Dreamer Has Awakened

I know very little about tubes and tube amps. Will not power them up. This is a pair of mono block power amps from a Conn organ. Someone wonderful donated a very nice organ to a church and they retired the Conn, which was in pretty rough shape. I'm grateful to have them in the house. One...
  12. Man in Cave

Beatles' Signed Original Parlophone Please Please Me Sells for $36,655 on Ebay

Wow! Sorry. Don't know how to attach a file. Some Aker will know how though. S.J.
  13. Man in Cave

Why So 'Reckless' With The 2012 Beatles in Stereo vinyl Box Set?

Why did the 'People with Power, such as Sean Magee and Apple' not treat the 2012 stereo vinyl box set with the same attention to detail as they appear to have done with the new 2014 mono vinyl box set? Why two Stereo box sets? (US, EU) Why is one purportedly better than the other? As a...
  14. Man in Cave

Allmusic's Beatles in Mono Box Set Giveaway!!!

I thought I'd share this with all the Ak'er Beatles' fans. allmusic is giving away a mono box set. It actually reads like more than one. Anyway...Just go to allmusic.com and sign up. Of course I may just be a knucklehead for sharing, reducing my chances, but I respect this sight too much. Good...
  15. Man in Cave

This Day in Rock

May 5th 1956, Elvis Presley scored his first US No.1 single and album when 'Heartbreak Hotel' went to the top of the charts. 'Heartbreak Hotel' became his first million-seller, and was the best-selling single of 1956. 1963, On a recommendation by George Harrison, Dick Rowe Head of A&R at Decca...
  16. Man in Cave

Album Wishlist

The Album Wishlist Most of us search for albums we'd love to add to our record libraries. And we'd, more often than not, pay a premium price for them. Original pressings, hard to find releases, for the completist that just has to have every record an artist made. There's any number of reasons...
  17. Man in Cave

A Hard Day's Night showing at small town theater

Tonight, I'm headed to a free showing of the Beatles film. Bringing canned food for a free pass. :banana: S.J.
  18. Man in Cave

A Jazz Awakening

I thought I'd share with all of you, since it is this forum that made it possible. I've been sampling Jazz for a few years now. First CDs and tapes, and then records. I never quite "got it." I believe it finally happened very early this morning. "The Awakening." Mind you, I still don't know much...
  19. Man in Cave

Vinyl Flat is in the House!

It arrived today. I can't wait to give it a try this weekend. Bought the pouch, too, because I didn't want to mess with the oven. For convenience sake, I guess. I'd like to thank LeeVing for posting about it some months ago. His posting was the first I'd heard of the Vinyl Flat. I book marked...
  20. Man in Cave

EV Wolverine Rattle? Any Ideas?

I've played these with no detectable rattle. I'm just wondering what it could be. I tried to take it apart but feared I'd tear the felt inside. Any ideas? Thanks S.J.
  21. Man in Cave

Dual 1219 or Garrard Zero 100?

If one were to chose between these two tables, which is the best choice? I am unfamiliar with either, and am curious. S.J.
  22. Man in Cave

The Satellite Radio Warble? What Causes It?

In the car, a lot of the time, there's a satellite radio warble, or distortion, or a bending of the sound waves, that is almost unlistenable at times. The pitch and frequency varies and it's very noticable with cymbals and strings. Has any one else experienced this? And is there a solution to...
  23. Man in Cave

EV Drivers Found In Old Cabinets

Found these last November (2012) at St. Vincent. "EV Wolverine full range speaker" written on the tag. Took them home, opened one up. EV Wolverine LT-12 Drivers inside. Both drivers are intact and in VG condition. Cabinets weigh 65lbs each. Dimensions: Height 31", Width 19 3/4", Depth 16 1/2"...
  24. Man in Cave

Donald Fagen's Sunken Condos: An Extra Benefit

Side four is blank and can be used to test whether the anti-skate on a TT is working properly.:yes: I'm sure lots of AKer's know this but I didn't and it was the coolest thing. I tried this on my PL-630 and sure enough the anti-skate was not adjusted properly. Once I adjusted it I played my Sgt...
  25. Man in Cave

Technics TT find FROM A SMALL THRIFT SHOP!!!

Quick story. I went back to this thrift shop because I saw some Kenwood 4040 speakers there a day earlier. Turns out someone had replaced one of the drivers with something very cheap. I pass. The "old gent" tells me he has a Teac TT in the back and would I care to have a look. He says it's...
Back
Top Bottom