Search results

1. Trower

I Got To See/Hear a U Turn Table Today

Just a few of my thoughts... I love my AR XAs, and I have a U-Turn I bought way back off Kickstarter. I was quite disappointed in the plasticy TT at first, but I threw my nuded Grado retipped by soundsmith on it and HOLY CRAP! It shocked me! Sounded almost as good as my stock armed XA!! I am...
  2. Trower

Aluminum pulley machining

I am a machinist and like said, you would have to pay for setup and design. The other factor is if a standard grooving insert will cut the grove you want, if one won't you'd probably have to have the profile of the grove cut with a cnc lathe, which would require a bit more setup time and most...
  3. Trower

David Bowie Rawks.....

Still can't get over this! Monday KEXP (a favorite radio station of mine) played his music all day, and they just had last Friday as well in honor of his birthday and album release. Was a nice way to honor his memory. The new album blew me away, and now knowing he recorded it, knowing he had...
  4. Trower

Sony PS-X7 Cartridge Recomendations

The lpgear.com AT95VL is 100 and has a line contact diamond. Very very nice cart for the money! I would go with that, the 95e is excellent but the VL will be a bit more detailed and quieter in the grove. I would say it's well worth the 50 dollars over the standard 95e.
  5. Trower

Unopened vinyl from dacades past

Haha, very true! Ellington Indigos is one of my all time favorite albums! That would be hard to top in my book as well!! Mono or stereo? I love the 6 eye stereo pressings I have, really well recorded and mastered.
  6. Trower

Unopened vinyl from dacades past

I opened a Blue Note "Night of the cookers", Hubbard sounded very good;-)
  7. Trower

Which to keep and restore?

That Quadraflex Reference 620t is a very nice table! It's a nice hefty direct drive with a light/medium mass arm on it. Have seen a couple with micro acoustics cartridges on them that sounded very nice. The Lab 80 with a nice plinth and an arm of your choosing could be made into a giant killer...
  8. Trower

Let's see and hear about your coolest 12" singles:

You have excellent taste:beerchug:
  9. Trower

cartridge recommendation please

Longer.com has a shibata and a 2x7 "he" styli for the at95 body. They sound much like the 95e but more detailed with better separation. Quite nice for the mony;-) http://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?
  10. Trower

Budget cartridge suggestion

An AT-95e would match that tonearm very well! The arm on the that Sony is on the very heavy end of medium mass, and the compliance on the 95e matches that very well. While not being warm, the 95e is a very fine cartridge, nice even sound. It's the only "budget" cartridge stereophile recommends...
  11. Trower

Which reissue is this?

30th is quite a bit better than the 40th, 30th is one of the best without paying obscene amounts.
  12. Trower

AT 440MLB Cartridge

Anyone know the difference between the MLa and the MLb?
  13. Trower

What is your personal best test LP?

First off it should be albums you know well, you can change things and find great sounding albums to try, but if you can not hear the difference because you've not spent some intimate time with the recording what are you really testing..... Here is a few well recorded albums I use. Duke...
  14. Trower

Cartridge Recommendations for a Newbie

The blue point is a fine cartridge, big Sumiko fan, and if my table wasn't suited for a Grado a Sumiko would likely be in the cards for me;-)
  15. Trower

Best Value-For-Money in the Turntable World

Life has been a bit crazy for me the last few years, but I finally got to try out my Uturn Orbit I got off Kickstarter a few years back. It's just the standard model with an Audio Technica AT-95E mounted. And I must say after cartridge alignment it sounds WAY better than I expected!!! Dead...
  16. Trower

What camera(s) do you own?

I have a small collection of cameras My only digital: Pentax K3 35mm film: Pentax k1000 Pentax ME Olympus Om-1 Canon AE-1 Rangefinders (film): Yashica 14e lynx Yashica LM44 Yashica A Medium format film: Pentax 645 All but my K3 and Yashica 14e are in storage at the moment, don't have a...
  17. Trower

Pentax Guys: What do you see in this pic?

Holy crap! My uncle had one of those, don't know what became of it once he passed....
  18. Trower

Post your photography!!

I've had great luck with Imageshack for the past few years.
  19. Trower

Post your photography!!

A few I took this last weekend while in Fredericton New Brunswick for a wedding. All shot with a Pentax K3, a 1.8 50mm and a 1.4 85mm
  20. Trower

What was the last movie you watched?

Love that film! Guess it helps I'm a big Joy Division fan;P
  21. Trower

Today's MONO playlist

I like the sound of those old Mercury monos, how does that one sound? What do you use for a cart with those old recordings?
  22. Trower

Today's JAZZ playlist

Gosh I love that album too, gonna have to spin it now when I get home:thmbsp: Really enjoy his session with Coleman Hawkins, but I'm biased I like most of what The Duke did;-)
  23. Trower

Post your photography!!

How did you scan them? Also what did you shoot them with, and what film? I too love film;-) Rather like that last picture!
  24. Trower

Let us know what you think;-)
  25. Trower

Finnaly got around to seeing this and was very impressed! Judy Dench is outstanding as is Coogan. Worth a watch for sure!
Back
Top Bottom